Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 01:33 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I'm not in any elite flyer's club...lol.

I'd just like to avoid the mess like I suffered last time not getting my connection to Paris.

It doesn't help being a Star Alliance member and being in Atlanta.
You don't need to be an elite. Just buy the ticket. I use miles to upgrade, I have only once had a free business or first upgrade on a trans Atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 01:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Shame there's no Concorde to go with it.
The seats from the BA Concorde were taken out and fitted with wheeled pedestal bases and are now the seats in the conference room in the CCR at LHR. I have a photo of me sitting in one. To be honest they are narrow, not well padded, and not all that comfortable, but still... It was the Concorde!

Old 07-07-2015, 02:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I hate to fly now days. Now I more often choose to fly first class and pay the price if I have to fly.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:03 AM

128 posts, read 173,856 times
First class on continental U.S. flights are not worth it. The real first-class experience is with Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, and Cathay Pacific (in that order). That experince is out-of-this-world.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:19 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Only once and that was because my friends mom was able to bump me up to 1st class on a flight from Chicago to London. I prefer the back of the plane.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:17 AM

518 posts, read 763,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegiateSchoolNY View Post
First class on continental U.S. flights are not worth it. The real first-class experience is with Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, and Cathay Pacific (in that order). That experince is out-of-this-world.
From the various travel blogs I've seen, Singapore Airlines is right up there with Emirates. Their first class suite seems pretty awesome. Also heard Lufthansa and ANA and Qantas not bad either.

Personally I've never flown first class international but someday....

Old 07-26-2015, 11:48 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Thumbs up A380-800 suites

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
From the various travel blogs I've seen, Singapore Airlines is right up there with Emirates. Their first class suite seems pretty awesome. Also heard Lufthansa and ANA and Qantas not bad either.
Yes, Suite class is awesome; if you book two the two center suites in a row, they can be combined into full-size lie-flat bed.

I flew "Suite" class on a Singapore Airlines' Airbus A380-800 (posted a picture up-thread), this was before the redesign to eliminate cracks in the wings . Now I am not sure I would want to be on a pre-2014 A380 again, and not just because it was the most expensive single flights I've taken, if not in absolute price, then at least in terms of dollars-per-mile.

I've read that Singapore has better food, Emirates has better media choices loaded on their in-flight entertainment system. I don't recall much about that, other than I think they had networked 2-player Battleship.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:24 PM

518 posts, read 763,525 times
Aww yeah that Better than First-Suite Class seems very awesome with the full size bed. New meaning to mile high and great to bring the significant other along....though not sure if the crew frown upon that.

If I ever win the lottery, that would be one thing on my bucket list to do. And then stay at the Marina Bay Sands hotel once arrived in Singapore!

Old 07-27-2015, 06:04 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,468,853 times
Once on a domestic flight. It was an upgrade for no reason. (I doubt they do this much anymore.) I was too exhausted to enjoy it and the attendant's attention was more of an annoyance. LOL

Once got an upgrade to business when I missed a flight (due to previous carrier being delayed). I just went to the airline staff and asked politely what could be done since I had one more connection to make after that one. What really helped me was that a slew of people before me had gone up to this staff member and had treated her so poorly just because they were not happy. I felt so bad for her. I didn't want to make her day even worse. She was actually visibly relieved that I hadn't come to berate her and I was upgraded on the next flight.

A few years ago, returning to the US from Europe. In Barcelona, my flight was delayed for some reason and I had to wait and wait for another one. I think it was the summer the pilots in Barcelona went on strike. Lots of us were pretty much stranded. We waited forever. It was awful. Along with us in the terminal, there was a family of a mom and four young children and they had missed a flight and subsequently ran into all kinds of difficulties. They could not communicate with anyone it seemed. It was so sad to see them. They were exhausted. Mom was distraught. The toddler was literally asleep standing up!

Well, a group of passengers waiting (with me) and I joined together to get this family situated. Finding translators, alerting the airport/airline staff, trying to accommodate the children, food, everything. We were so involved with helping the family that it made our long, tedious wait bearable. The airline finally was able to get them situated and all was well.

We continued waiting for our flight (there were about 5 of us) and seating was tight for the next one out. Our 'group' was called one after another. We were bumped up to first class. We never asked. We were just identified by the airline staff who helped the family get on their way. It was great. Non-stop champagne. The best food and lots of comradery.

Airline staff often are undeservedly abused/maligned. Your fellow travelers may need your help.

The moral of the story: BE VERY NICE, be very patient, go out of your way, especially with the airline staff, and you may get an upgrade! It is definitely more comfortable.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:08 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,468,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The seats from the BA Concorde were taken out and fitted with wheeled pedestal bases and are now the seats in the conference room in the CCR at LHR. I have a photo of me sitting in one. To be honest they are narrow, not well padded, and not all that comfortable, but still... It was the Concorde!

OMG. That was the airline I always dreamed of flying. I was devastated when it was discontinued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel