Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:47 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times

Advertisements

I try to change my sleep pattern to account for a significant time difference before traveling (i.e. stay up all night if I have a morning flight so that I can sleep during the flight). Now, this isn't always easy--and even when possible to do so, I'm not necessarily accustomed to the time change after one round--but I still try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 01:45 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
One time, a friend of mine was complaining about being jet-lagged after getting back from his vacation.

Another guy who was listening said, "But you were flying NORTH."

Old 07-14-2015, 09:22 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
The only time it really bothers me is when I fly halfway around the world. For example, fly to Japan from the East Coast. You get there, and your body thinks it's noon but over there it's midnight. Usually, it takes me one week to get over it so that I feel like a human being again. It's pretty much the same thing coming back.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:14 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I've never had jet lag. But I have to admit, the time I flew Shannon/Gatwick/LAX/Honolulu nonstop I was tired at work the next day.
I once did Zurich- Newark- Honolulu with a relatively short layover in Newark. That was brutal. Nothing but time can fix the 12 hour Jet Lag.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:44 PM

492 posts, read 638,170 times
Us East Coast to Europe, not a big deal. Especially if you can sleep on the overnight flight on the way there. East Coast to Asia, it took a few days, despite sleeping on the overnight. But Ambian helps. I found taking a nap does help, as long as you are up several hours before the sun goes down.

Going home is less of a problem, because, heck, you are home. Nothing to see, and you can go to bed as early as you want.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:45 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
I've only flown far enough east to be affected by jetlag once. I went to India.

I don't know any advice to give because it destroyed me.

I just did my best to sleep at the correct time and eventually got on track .

Old 07-18-2015, 12:59 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Terrible.

I can cope with a 6 hour time difference going westbound, but eastbound is a whole other kettle of fish. I struggle to sleep before 4am at the very earliest and sleep in.

It takes me an age to fix it.

Westbound, all you do is stay up longer (like going out).

I'm not sure about 12 hour differences, I think that would be bad both eastbound and westbound.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:16 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,415 times
I work rotating shifts, so my sleep schedule changes a lot and it hasn't affected me too much. However, I do agree with the comment that west-east flights are worse for jetlag. I take melatonin which does help me adjust pretty quickly. The worst for me are going to Europe as I usually rarely get any sleep on plane and you always arrive early in the morning. Going to Asia (Singapore, Beijing and Tokyo), I've always arrive there late in the evening the next day so I've always just gone right to bed and woken up the next day pretty refreshed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel