Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 08:37 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Haven't done Europe yet. We did Mexico last year. Our flights, hotel, food and attractions were one quarter the cost of Disney. The ROI is the happiness of my child. Disney? They enjoyed it. Mexico? They loved.
Mexico is a great place for children, because the society is very child-oriented, very colorful and art and culture are everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 08:40 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Hilarious to read people defend the Disney experience. So silly. You aren't inferior if you don't buy into the Disney experience and you definitely aren't superior if you buy into the Disney experience. Everybody has different tastes. If you love it -- good for you but if you don't, there's nothing wrong with that.

Just because a child isn't in love with the Disney experience doesn't mean they are 'locked' into the digital world, blah, blah.. My family would much prefer to take a trip to a new geographical experience than to Disney to meet Mickey. That's okay -- you can go and enjoy and have fun, but to suggest someone that doesn't love the very expensive Disney trip is somehow inferior is kind of childish.
Funny ... I'm getting the exact OPPOSITE vibe from this thread. That people who enjoy the Disney experience are somehow inferior.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:01 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Thanks, I was just about to put something similar to this! Everyone has their different opinions of fun. Nothing wrong with loving Disney, nothing wrong with preferring to do something else.
You personally named this thread "Please Explain Disney". I would think that meant you wanted to know why people love to go to Disney.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:01 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Funny ... I'm getting the exact OPPOSITE vibe from this thread. That people who enjoy the Disney experience are somehow inferior.
I think it's both. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground. Who knew the happiest place on earth would cause such controversy?

Old 06-14-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
You personally named this thread "Please Explain Disney". I would think that meant you wanted to know why people love to go to Disney.

Sorry if I misunderstood.
You didn't. When you said what is an ROI on a baby, I explained for me and my family the cost for us was exorbitant. I was genuinely curious what I was missing. Many people came and explained a lot that we missed and may have enjoyed.

I am not dissing anyone's experience, different strokes. Disney isn't ours.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:38 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Hilarious to read people defend the Disney experience. So silly. You aren't inferior if you don't buy into the Disney experience and you definitely aren't superior if you buy into the Disney experience. Everybody has different tastes. If you love it -- good for you but if you don't, there's nothing wrong with that.

Just because a child isn't in love with the Disney experience doesn't mean they are 'locked' into the digital world, blah, blah.. My family would much prefer to take a trip to a new geographical experience than to Disney to meet Mickey. That's okay -- you can go and enjoy and have fun, but to suggest someone that doesn't love the very expensive Disney trip is somehow inferior is kind of childish.
Some people just hate crowds, or 'attractions', or anything not involving camping or museums or beaches or Eco-tourism or 'a new geographical experience', or anything owned by a multinational corporation, or anything geared towards children. That's their hang up, not a concern of mine. At least they are being honest.

You don't need to 'buy into the Disney experience' to enjoy Disney world, any more than you have to 'buy into the erosion experience' to enjoy the Grand Canyon. Nobody is making you stand in line for autographs, and darn few attractions even reference the classic iconic characters. The four parks are a beautiful, well maintained and professionally staffed world where fun, quirky, unexpected and imaginative entertainment can come from anywhere at any time. Parades, strolling artists of all kinds, live and fanciful animals, rides, shows, meals of all types, shops, interactive play areas, beautiful topiary, and interesting architecture are all there for your entertainment.

Too many people who 'dislike' or 'don't see the value' of Disney are really saying 'I don't want to pay for / can't afford a trip to Disney'. "Very expensive" is a relative term, but there is no shame in saying "we'd love to go to (name of expensive place) but we really can't afford to do it right". Places like Walt Disney World are phenomenally expensive to build, maintain, and staff, and that expense has to be part of the price of admission. There is no way around this.

I LOVE a good home-grilled porterhouse steak, but I don't see the value at $18 a pound. That doesn't make porterhouse steak bad or undesirable. It doesn't say ANYTHING about the steak, but it says a lot about me.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Too many people who 'dislike' or 'don't see the value' of Disney are really saying 'I don't want to pay for / can't afford a trip to Disney'. "Very expensive" is a relative term, but there is no shame in saying "we'd love to go to (name of expensive place) but we really can't afford to do it right". Places like Walt Disney World are phenomenally expensive to build, maintain, and staff, and that expense has to be part of the price of admission. There is no way around this.

I LOVE a good home-grilled porterhouse steak, but I don't see the value at $18 a pound. That doesn't make porterhouse steak bad or undesirable. It doesn't say ANYTHING about the steak, but it says a lot about me.
I have to disagree. Disney IS expensive. That doesn't mean "I can't afford it". For us, we would rather spend our money elsewhere. It's not our cup of tea. Out of everyone I know, one couple goes there time. Anytime again. Most people didn't enjoy it enough to spend the money again.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:09 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:

You don't need to 'buy into the Disney experience' to enjoy Disney world, any more than you have to 'buy into the erosion experience' to enjoy the Grand Canyon. Nobody is making you stand in line for autographs, and darn few attractions even reference the classic iconic characters. The four parks are a beautiful, well maintained and professionally staffed world where fun, quirky, unexpected and imaginative entertainment can come from anywhere at any time. Parades, strolling artists of all kinds, live and fanciful animals, rides, shows, meals of all types, shops, interactive play areas, beautiful topiary, and interesting architecture are all there for your entertainment.

This is where I think much of the controversy comes from. It's not that we're really saying "I can't afford ... but would love to go." It's that we really are saying that while we can afford it, but don't want to go. I see a great deal of an inability to accept that answer from many of the posters here. Somehow "I don't care for Disney" is interpreted as "you didn't plan enough" or "you went the wrong time of day" or "you went the wrong day of the year" or "you didn't stay long enough" or "you need to go more often" all of which are really ways of dismissing the OP's POV.

Frankly I'm glad the OP was brave enough to admit she didn't have a great time at Disney. Because whether on CD or at work or church, it's practically considered treason not to like Disney.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:59 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Simply because it is "Disney". Disney World used to be a really nice trip especially in off-season. We started going in 1987 and made 10 trips there. The last 2 were in the year 2000 and they were the worst! They had eliminated so many of the activities, jacked up the noise level so loud that my son couldn't tolerate it on the rides, washers and dryers were not working in the campground, there was peeling paint in the Magic Kingdom, transportation took 3 times as long of wait than previously........ Never again.

The first years were wonderful and it was "magical" and that made the price worth it.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:01 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
The family finally did the Disney trip. I don't get it! Ridiculously expensive, two hour waits for most rides, crowded, cranky people everywhere. I can see doing this one time for the experience, but people who do this over and over again for days? I just don't get it!
I've never done it but I was guessing that it was that way.
My kids go insane if they have to be in line for more than 5 minutes.... I rather go to a crappy place with short lines than to Disney to stand in long lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel