Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:57 AM

231 posts, read 784,799 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've lived in a couple of states and visited a few others, and I've found that some of the most interesting or beautiful places to visit are not very well known or advertised. Some places might be overshadowed by more famous attractions nearby, or might only be known to locals because they're off the beaten path.

I was just wondering if you all have any examples of such places in the States? The more states covered, the better.

I'm talking about places that visitors from out of state who are not familiar with the state other than its famous or well-traveled destinations might know about.

I'll start with one: The Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming. There's a national forest (the Bighorn National Forest), but not national parks. A lot of people visiting the state from afar tend to overlook these mountains or bypass them altogether on their way to more famous destinations such as Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks.

While those are awesome, the Bighorns are an incredibly beautiful and unique destination in themselves (something that most Wyomingites already know). And since they're not as well-known as the national parks, there tend to not be as many sightseers and tourists clogging up the place. More people have caught on in recent years, to the chagrin of locals who used to enjoy being the only person for miles around.

Stuff to see/do:
- Mountain peaks (highest being Cloud Peak in the Cloud Peak Wilderness at 13,166 feet)
- Wildlife (deer, elk, moose, pronghorn antelope, various birds)
- Pristine lakes and creeks
- Waterfalls (not a ton of these admittedly)
- Wildflowers in spring/early summer
- Hiking, camping, backpacking, four-wheeling, mountain biking, kayaking, canoeing, (in winter) skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling
- Historic sites like the Medicine Wheel Historic Landmark, battlefields from the Indian Wars like the Fetterman Fight, Fort Phil Kearney and others.

What lesser-known places would the rest of you recommend in other states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 10:43 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
I love the Bighorns! They are a nice getaway and I like Sheridan and Buffalo.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The Pothole Country of the eastern Dakotas. Literally millions of tiny micro-habitats for birds and amphibians, that farmers have plowed around for centuries, leaving them intact. Some as small as your living room, some several acres. North Dakota has more national wildlife refuges than any other state.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:05 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Humboldt and Del Norte Counties in California.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:36 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Not completely unknown, but the Finger Lakes and Adirondack regions of New York State is gorgeous. Lots of people visit NYC but never think of checking any of the rest of the state.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:42 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
The High Uinta Mountains in Utah. A high forested area that includes a Primitive Area that is accessible only by horse or by foot. Many lakes and streams. Endless hiking trails. One lake is called "Mirror Lake" and you can guess why.

The Wind River Mountains in Wyoming. Lots of hiking and lakes there too.

The area around Virginia City, Montana. Nice and cool in the summer. A mining town from the 1860's that has been kept much in its original condition. You can ride a steam train while you are there as well. Plenty of camping at a nearby KOA and other campgrounds. Its not that far from Yellowstone National Park and can be incorporated into that trip if you add a day. If you want to find it, look for Dillon, Montana on a map.

The Salmon River Country in Idaho. You can float the river or simply drive along portions of it and camp. Very beautiful.

Its a national park, but its out of the way. Great Basin National Park in Nevada. Its just across the border from Utah and about fifty miles east of Ely, Nevada. An oasis in the desert. An alpine peak with a lake on top. A cave called "Lehman Cave" through which the National Park Service offers guided tours. A small, but pretty campground.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:50 AM

231 posts, read 784,799 times
Aredhel, I have family in Lake Luzerne. I never realized how beautiful that region was till I went to visit them! I think a lot of rural upstate NY is quite pretty. Another pretty place in NY is down in the SW part of the state, near Pennsylvania and Lake Erie. Specifically Chautauqua NY and all the little towns around Chautauqua Lake.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:19 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Upper peninsula Michigan looks like a nice insight into what Northern Ontario is like. Lake Superior is in general a very beautiful lake with crystal clear almost mediterranean-like water in a lot of coastal areas.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:50 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
San Rafael Swell in Utah. It is spectacular enough to be a national park but then the hordes and subsequent rules would ruin it. 4x4 high clearance needed on most roads, Suburu on many, ATV on a few. Sedan? Perhaps on one or two.

Green River Lakes in Wyoming. The beginning of the Green River that flows to the Colorado. Long rough gravel road to get there.

Any backroad that connects Nevadas highways 6 and 50. Some of the most unpopulated places in the U.S.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If you want to see America stay off the interstate highways as much as possible.
And use a site like this one for planning destinations=(takes a while to load)
America's Scenic Byways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel