Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 02:05 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever flew with Spirit Airlines? If so how was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 02:22 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Awful. You have to pay for your seat when you check in. Pay to carry on your luggage (if you forget it is $100 at the gate, pay to print your boarding pass of you forget. The littlest things add up.

The airplane was insanely loud, old and late. Once was enough for me.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:31 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Also if flight get canceled you maybe waiting days for seat to open on future flight, since there routes are thin and not often.

Or paying walk-up rates to get home,

(and get your Base one way re-computed in there favor back... maybe)

and you get Nicked & Dime ed (Well $10-50) to death..

Old 06-13-2015, 02:31 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,788,050 times
I have flown them and I think they are the worst airline out there. When they first started they were ok, the cheap prices were worth it. But now they nickle and dime you for everything, They are the ones that started the whole checked bag fees and the "pay for what you use" mentality. Now you even have to pay for a carry on bag so it is nearly impossible to get on their plane without an extra fee for getting on, this includes very expensive fees for checking a bag at the gate, you're also charged for printing out a boarding pass at the airport.

In addition they have the smallest legroom of all airlines so that they can pack more people onto the plane so even a normal sized person is going to be uncomfortable.

I would only fly them in a dire emergency, I will take another airline even if they are the cheapest by over $100 even taking their fees into consideration.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:34 PM

814 posts, read 2,042,667 times
i flown spirit out of A.C. they hit your wallet hard for baggage charges but can't be beat for actual ticket price. you can carry on one small bag. i carried a small backpack or a 15 inch laptop case for free on every flight i ever took. they are definitely no frills and you can print your boarding pass at home for free. checked luggage is cheaper than carry on. pay the baggage fees when you buy the ticket. $100 change fee if you need to change dates. they seating is just okay and no free snacks. if you don't need to take luggage they are usually the cheapest cost. their planes did not seem any more shabbier the some other low cost carries i have taken like jet blue or southwest.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:05 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
I've only flown with them once on a 2 1/2 flight to New Orleans, mostly because the timing met my schedule best. I read all the fine print so I did what I needed to minimize the "nickel and diming" - no surprises there. The seats weren't terrible but maybe we got lucky? Guess if I were you I'd try them out for a short flight, nothing over 4 hours, just to be safe!

I mean - NOBODY gets free snacks anymore, do they? And most seats are pretty bad unless you go business or 1st class. All the complaints I hear are from people thinking they got a great fare and never read online about the stuff that would cost extra...oh well.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:26 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I've only flown with them once on a 2 1/2 flight to New Orleans, mostly because the timing met my schedule best. I read all the fine print so I did what I needed to minimize the "nickel and diming" - no surprises there. The seats weren't terrible but maybe we got lucky? Guess if I were you I'd try them out for a short flight, nothing over 4 hours, just to be safe!

I mean - NOBODY gets free snacks anymore, do they? And most seats are pretty bad unless you go business or 1st class. All the complaints I hear are from people thinking they got a great fare and never read online about the stuff that would cost extra...oh well.
All the major US airlines I have flown still give peanuts/pretzels and Jetblue actually has awesome free snacks. International airlines I've flown provide meals still..even on short flights (<2 hours)

Old 06-13-2015, 03:27 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Used Spirit just once, and everything went perfectly. It was necessary though, given our international destination and schedule. After all the horror stories I've heard I may never use them for domestic travel, but would consider them for international flights still.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:42 AM

605 posts, read 1,258,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Has anyone here ever flew with Spirit Airlines? If so how was it?
FLEW DOWN TO MYRTLE ON FRIDAY....WAS DELAYED 7 HOURS OUT OF PHL!!! SAID NO CREW SHOWED UP!! HORRIBLE. FLOWN MANY TIMES, INCLUDING INTERNATIONAL...NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN..WORST AIRLINE EVER....BE IN DEFENSE....HAVE FLOWN SPIRIT TWICE IN PAST TO MYRTLE TO SEE PROPERTY IN AREA, AND NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE. WE LEAVE WITH DAUGHTER AND OUR GRANDKIDS TOMORROW. WISH US LUCK WE DON'T GET DELAYED SEVEN HOURS AGAIN!!

Old 08-27-2015, 08:07 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
FLEW DOWN TO MYRTLE ON FRIDAY....WAS DELAYED 7 HOURS OUT OF PHL!!! SAID NO CREW SHOWED UP!! HORRIBLE. FLOWN MANY TIMES, INCLUDING INTERNATIONAL...NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN..WORST AIRLINE EVER....BE IN DEFENSE....HAVE FLOWN SPIRIT TWICE IN PAST TO MYRTLE TO SEE PROPERTY IN AREA, AND NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE. WE LEAVE WITH DAUGHTER AND OUR GRANDKIDS TOMORROW. WISH US LUCK WE DON'T GET DELAYED SEVEN HOURS AGAIN!!
Just an FYI, typing in all caps translates to you yelling at everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel