Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:56 PM

336 posts, read 592,053 times

Advertisements

Depends on where in DC. If it is close to Union Station then taking an Amtrak Acela is a no brainer. My second choice is to fly into DCA. IAD is far from DC. Just taking a cab is at least 1/2 hour just to cross the DC/VA border. Forget about BWI, too far from DC. One thing to check is the flight schedule from EWR to DCA/IAD to make sure that there are flights that you can be rebooked on should your original flight gets in late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 10:29 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
For me this depends on a few things, and there are different scenarios where I would choose each option.

Option 1: Most likely. The only reason why I would not choose this is if my final destination was far from any of the WAS airports and it would be a long and/or costly hike to reach it. Wouldn't want to bother friends to pick me up that late but if they can then great.

Option 3: This would be next best, but only if I am flying in from overseas. So presumably I could be rested from the flight (I sleep well on long flights)

Option 2: Well, this would be if all other options are exhausted…then why not spend the night in a hotel and relax?

Old 06-20-2015, 05:25 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
If possible I would take a connecting commuter flight from EWR to DCA (if that airport is an option, otherwise IAD/BWI) the same evening/night and if not possible the next day. I wouldn't want to drive and I wouldn't want drag myself over to Penn Station in Manhattan in order to catch a train to DC.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:00 AM

556 posts, read 946,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If possible I would take a connecting commuter flight from EWR to DCA (if that airport is an option, otherwise IAD/BWI) the same evening/night and if not possible the next day. I wouldn't want to drive and I wouldn't want drag myself over to Penn Station in Manhattan in order to catch a train to DC.
No need to go to Penn Station - Amtrak stops at EWR. Airtrain connects the terminal to the train station, so it's functionally similar to moving between terminals.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:31 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
I am going to DC and NYC in July and August and I have chosen to fly. From DCA to JFK with Delta Connection the flight was $60.

I can't see the train matching that in time nor cost. I don't like the train, I always book the plane when I can.

Although I love EWR I would not fly in there. United express is terrible, small tiny planes and they charge a premium on that route.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Problem is very late at night, especially Saturday night, there may not be any commuter flights to DC, so choice would be sleeping at a hotel or sleeping at airport.
There are plenty of hotels in EWR.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
Definitely fly or take Amtrak. I honestly think Amtrak is preferable - it's 3 hours from EWR to Washington Union Station, give or take 15 minutes depending on the exact train number. I find Amtrak on the NEC to be far more comfortable than a regional jet, with more leg room and you can fully recline the seat without annoying the person behind you. Booked well enough in advance, the Amtrak ticket is pretty cheap relative to the cost of renting a car or buying a plane ticket. The latest Saturday evening train leaves EWR at 9:27pm - call the hotel in DC to give them a heads up, and you can check in around 1am.

Depending on where you're staying in the DC area, a commuter flight into BWI or IAD is going to add considerable time to the trip if you need to get to DC proper.
The regional jet is 45 minutes. I don't think being comfortable matters.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I am going to DC and NYC in July and August and I have chosen to fly. From DCA to JFK with Delta Connection the flight was $60.

I can't see the train matching that in time nor cost. I don't like the train, I always book the plane when I can.
JFK is going to take a while (maybe 1 hour) to get to from spots most people in NYC visit; Penn Station is much more convenient. The regional flight ends in Reagan Airport that's not bad, it's close to DC, Dulles is far.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
No need to go to Penn Station - Amtrak stops at EWR. Airtrain connects the terminal to the train station, so it's functionally similar to moving between terminals.
Most trains don't stop, if they do it's convenient but otherwise not. No need to go all the way to NYC Penn Station, take NJ Transit to Newark Penn Station, but there are no trains between 11:20 pm and 3:20 am on a Saturday.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:55 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,008 times
I've made that trip a half dozen times - every way it can be done. A lot of this depends where in DC you are headed.

Keep in mind that if you are coming in from overseas, you have to re-screen after customs and immigration to board a domestic flight. That means additional time in the airport, and catching a connecting shuttle is a bit of a bear.

I would not rent a car to drive one way for a Saturday night trip down I-95. Especially after a long flight (like, from Europe or the mid-east).

Amtrak runs trains from EWR to DC every hour or two between about 7:30 AM to 9:45 PM. It is my preferred method for this route.

DCA (Reagan National) closes at midnight due to noise abatement restrictions. It reopens around 6:00 AM. Shuttles between EWR and DC usually go through National.

IAD (Dulles) is so far away you might as well drive - unless you are headed for northern Virginia/Langley et al.

BWI (Baltimore) is pretty far north. Not many shuttle flights on Saturday night.

Personally, I'd RON (stay the night) at EWR and Amtrak it down Sunday morning at 7:30 AM. I can get off at BWI or Union Station and then use Metro to go anywhere in the DC metropolitan area.

Enjoy your trip!

R-3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel