Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 03:32 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times

Advertisements

Hey
Currently planning an itinerary...
Mapquest indicates that at some point on our journey there will be an "electronic toll collection only", I do understand what it means, but we don't bave such a device. What to do?
Do you guys know what we can do? What if people "get stranded" because they followed their GPS and had no clue?
No GPS for us (hubby lost it today, no possibility to get a new one and we're leaving tomorrow), never been to the area (in case you wonder, this toll is on I93 from NH crossing into Vt)... We don't know what to do except follow those indications on mapquest... no clue what other roads to take to avoid that area, and as I said, we don't even kniw where it us, never been there

I am panicking a little right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 03:41 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
No worries, relax...most of these electronic only (all of them I would guess) of them have some type of photography plate identification. They send you the toll charge. You don't get a ticket, you get a bill based on license info registration.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:43 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Call state office where you will need to use it and have toll device shipped to you.
https://www.ezpassnh.com/en/home/index.shtml

Old 07-01-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Call state office where you will need to use it and have toll device shipped to you.
not possible. We'll be there tomorrow!
Moreover, we would only need that device for that trip...

Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Not necessary. I am telling you, it's going to be "toll by plate", similar to below...RELAX SUdcaro, nothing to worry about

All-Electronic Open Road Tolling
http://www.floridasturnpike.com/all-...L-BY-PLATE.cfm

Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
No worries, relax...most of these electronic only (all of them I would guess) of them have some type of photography plate identification. They send you the toll charge. You don't get a ticket, you get a bill based on license info registration.
Thanks.
I would hate to be stranded on that kind of road with my kid

Last edited by Sudcaro; 07-01-2015 at 04:01 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 05:24 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,795,253 times
I am assuming that you are driving your own car so like others have said you'll just receive a bill a few weeks after your trip. But if you are renting a car and then driving, the rental agency will usually offer the use of one for an extra fee. Also I think it might EZPass that is used in that area, if it is, you can open an account and add your car to the account and not have to worry about additional fees that can come with not having an account.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:35 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I am assuming that you are driving your own car so like others have said you'll just receive a bill a few weeks after your trip. But if you are renting a car and then driving, the rental agency will usually offer the use of one for an extra fee. Also I think it might EZPass that is used in that area, if it is, you can open an account and add your car to the account and not have to worry about additional fees that can come with not having an account.
Watch out for these rental car EZpass outfits. We rented a car from Hertz a while back. As we have our own EZpass, we put theirs in the glove box, properly closed (they come with a gizmo that allows you to close them so they don't register) and used our own.

A few weeks later, we got a charge from the EZpass company that Hertz uses (PLATEPASS HERTZ TOLL SCOTTSDALE AZ, doing business as: AMERICAN TRAFFIC SOLUTIONS) with no detail other than 'tolls' and for an amount significantly larger than the actual tolls we went through.

Obviously we challenged this bill with Amex and had to send in proof that we had actually paid the tolls on our device. The EZpass company never bothered responding to the challenge and the charge went away.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:30 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I work in the transportation industry. In a few years, all tolls will be electronic-only. As someone else said, don't panic, they will send you a bill based on the license plate. And if they include a fine or administration charge, call them or just send the toll back with a note explaning that you have no device and were traveling, blah blah blah. They almost always waive the charge.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:16 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
I have EZ Pass transponder out of Mass.,I only use it once a year to go to CT,they said battery life is 10-15 years,a blessing to travel left lane thru toll.
They require a valid card and deposit.They take there money as necessary.I got Mass because it was free,some charge.To get it you have to say you are using Mass turnpike!

Last edited by DanBev; 07-06-2015 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel