Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 01:13 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
NYC may well be cheaper to shop, especially since there are often sample sales.
OP isn't going to just happen upon a sample sale. He's going to have to know how to find them, which isn't as easy as just walking into a store. And even with sample sales, $600 won't go far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 01:33 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
NYC may well be cheaper to shop, especially since there are often sample sales. Also, on less expensive items, there is no sales tax in NYC.

I can't help but wonder why, if you're worrying about money, you're in a four-star hotel.
Because his parents are paying for it.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:39 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,332,782 times
What are you looking to buy? $600 might you a bunch of knock off clothes/accessories on Canal Street, but $600 won't buy much on 5th or Maddison Ave.

Are you looking to buy clothes because of brands/designers available? You'd do much better spending that $600 anywhere but NYC and DC.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:24 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,200 times
No offence but I never said I was buying my clothes from Channel or Prada. I said medium level brands like Ralph, Guess, Levi. (Which are good enough for me). I don't even want Channel clothes anyway!

You can easily get 4 or 5 things in one store that might add up to $150 so I would think i'd get more than 10 things with $600.

Anyhow I think I'll try out the Tysons corner it looks great. I just wanted to find out the best place to buy clothes.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:22 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
No offence but I never said I was buying my clothes from Channel or Prada. I said medium level brands like Ralph, Guess, Levi. (Which are good enough for me). I don't even want Channel clothes anyway!

You can easily get 4 or 5 things in one store that might add up to $150 so I would think i'd get more than 10 things with $600.
Even with brands like Ralph and Guess, I think you're still going to find yourself disappointed at prices. You may find some things on sale in the range you're thinking, but sales are hit-or-miss. For example, Levis jeans at Macy's retail in the $50-70 range. Ralph button down shirts retail $80+. So you may want to temper your expectations.

Of course, if you're going to shop at Macy's, don't bother with the one at Tysons if you're also going to be in NYC. Go to the flagship Macys in Herald Square. It's the second largest department store in the world.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:27 PM

I've just looked at the GUESS usa store online and there are plenty of items in there that are in my budget.

I can afford three or four pairs of shoes and some tops at least out of there. Yes Ralph is more expensive but i'd only be buying a few things from there.

You just have to shop around each store - it is also sale time. I don't think i'll bother shopping in NYC, just tour around.

Oh btw Macy's give 10% off.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
I'm staying in a Marriott in Washington and a 4 star in NYC near the World trade center
Just know that the WTC area is the business/financial district. It's not close to garment/fashion district where you'd probably want to do the majority of your shopping. It will take about 20-30 minutes by subway on a weekend.

The financial district is beautiful... and the hotels are cheap... but it's not near most of the action.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:37 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:

Anyhow I think I'll try out the Tysons corner it looks great. I just wanted to find out the best place to buy clothes.
I you are dreaming if you think you can get 4-5 things for $150 with those brands. I guess if you mean socks and underwear... Ralph or Guess pants will set you back $80-200+. Levi's are in the $50+ price point. Shirts from Levi's will start in the $40 range and go up from there, Ralph and Guess start around $60 and go up.

Also there will be 6% sales tax in VA and 8.25% in NYC.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Just know that the WTC area is the business/financial district. It's not close to garment/fashion district where you'd probably want to do the majority of your shopping. It will take about 20-30 minutes by subway on a weekend.

The financial district is beautiful... and the hotels are cheap... but it's not near most of the action.
I got a hotel there because it looked nice and it was a great hotel anyway.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I you are dreaming if you think you can get 4-5 things for $150 with those brands. I guess if you mean socks and underwear... Ralph or Guess pants will set you back $80-200+. Levi's are in the $50+ price point. Shirts from Levi's will start in the $40 range and go up from there, Ralph and Guess start around $60 and go up.
Thank you but I shop there frequently I spent £300 in January.

Thanks for the advice, But I will manage my own shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel