Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 01:59 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
So I ordered Rick Steves Spain book and one of the first things I read is something like "unless you're an extrovert, you won't enjoy this trip alone". I mean, I get 5 pages in and I'm already out. He says Spanish people are hard to get to know, so maybe thats why. I feel defeated already.
That's why I suggested going with a small group tour; it gives you a group of travel buddies to share the experience with. Not everyone likes small group tours, but for introverts they are often more enjoyable than solo travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 04:16 PM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
i don't want to hijack the thread, but would you recommend any different destinations for a single female?

I have a similar problem as OP- introverted yet want to be around some semi-outgoing people. The links so far are great. Not interested in farming though unless its 420.
Single introverted female here. I'm planning on a escape to Bali with other women who I do not know, but they're traveling there to escape as well. I also plan on going with a group of strangers to Thailand. I may be introverted, but very adventurous and talkative with most people.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:55 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
Single introverted female here. I'm planning on a escape to Bali with other women who I do not know, but they're traveling there to escape as well. I also plan on going with a group of strangers to Thailand. I may be introverted, but very adventurous and talkative with most people.
How did you find these people?

Old 07-28-2015, 05:54 PM

16,085 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
So I ordered Rick Steves Spain book and one of the first things I read is something like "unless you're an extrovert, you won't enjoy this trip alone". I mean, I get 5 pages in and I'm already out. He says Spanish people are hard to get to know, so maybe thats why. I feel defeated already.

My daughter is going to do a portion of the Camino Santiago to Campostella in Spain starting in Leon. She is not exactly an introvert but she is cautious and not chatty. Most of the people (thousands) walking the camino are not from Spain but from all over the world. They will walk with you and be friendly -- every day there will be someone new or someone you met a couple days ago.... from New Zealand, Norway, England, Canada, Zimbabwe, Japan, Russia.....wherever. Here's a reference video... Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago

Old 07-28-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
How did you find these people?
I didn't find these people. For Bali, I found the retreat via HGTV a while back, and it's been on my bucket list since then. It's a retreat for women, and women from all over the world go there, usually alone and open to meeting strangers.

For Thailand, it's basically a travel group, and I won't know anyone, but no one I know ever wants to do the things I want to do, so I'm going regardless.

I actually just took a few days off last week to go kayaking, biking, and hiking all by myself. The best thing about being single again is that I can finally do these things without someone who didn't enjoy them and always ruined the moment.

I'm also going to finish the Kalalau trail in Kauai, probably by myself since I don't know anyone who wants to do this.

My advice to you is just do it. I'm not going to wait for anyone anymore. I'm going to enjoy life and travel, and if I'm meant to meet him, then I'll meet him.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:33 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
I did it 2 or 3 times as a young adult and frankly hated it. Whereas I have only good memories of travels with pal or girlfriend, so I guess I'm not one of the "round the world alone on my bycicle trip"kind of people.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:26 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
The best thing about being single again is that I can finally do these things without someone who didn't enjoy them and always ruined the moment.

this has nothing to do with being single. Being partnered shouldn't mean the two persons should do everything together, including traveling.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
this has nothing to do with being single. Being partnered shouldn't mean the two persons should do everything together, including traveling.
I was talking about ME being single, specifically. No more ex husband to call me names when I wanted to go out biking or him telling me how much he hates this and that when I was just trying to spend quality time with him. Of course I wouldn't expect someone to do everything with me or even like everything I do; I only expect him to be respectful as I would be to him.

Didn't mean to derail OP's thread.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:56 PM

47,545 posts, read 6,392,625 times
Yes, there are definite advantages to traveling solo.

There are obvious disadvantages, too, but those can be offset if you're stuck with unpleasant company.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:30 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwriter View Post
Yes, there are definite advantages to traveling solo.

There are obvious disadvantages, too, but those can be offset if you're stuck with unpleasant company.
Extremely true. I have a much better time travelling alone than I would have if I had gone with my ex-girlfriend. She would have ruined all of my trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel