Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,827 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anyone who doesn't like to travel or is just content with not traveling? I have so many friends and family members who are just content with staying home. Makes me wonder how thay can not like to explore new cultures, foods, cityies, etc. Boggles my mind. I would liove to travel more, but feel held back. I wouldn't mind travelling alone, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to share the experiences with.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I once knew an airline executive who flew all around the world on business. But once he retired he never wanted to leave home.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:27 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times
Yes, and that person is my father in law. His children live in various states on the east coast and he always has an excuse of why he can't visit (They don't want me there anyway! Plane travel is dangerous! Driving-that's too far with gas costs these days!). We all had to guilt him into finally visiting his daughter for the first time who lived 1,000 miles away and she lived there for 15 years. He expects everyone to come visit him and if you don't, then you are pretty much not going to see him. Traveling internationally? Forget about it! Getting him to do more than a day trip is hard enough.

This behavior drives his wife nuts, as she says he was never like this when he was younger. Her solution? She travels by herself!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:48 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Everyone has different interests. I love to travel but sure won't judge anyone for not being interested, any more than I'd expect someone into scrapbooking to think me crazy for not being interested.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times
MY Mum. She hates it. She hates trains and planes. Isn't even slightly interested in eating anything 'foreign'. doesn't want to go anywhere too hot or too cold, where they look funny or speak funny......

I've lived in Asia and am now in the US. I would pay her business flight if she would visit but she won't. She visited me once when I lived in London (300 miles away) and I was there for nearly 16 years.
I got married in Zurich and she had to get sedatives from the doctor to get on the plane.My dad was planning to drive which was just ridiculous. It was under 2 hours flying time. It was a nightmare. She hated it. Hated Switzerland and just wanted to be at home....

I just leave her alone now and don't try to talk her around. Its just really bizarre. IMO. I would go almost anywhere given the chance. She just thinks I'm strange. We are just all different.
My husband is convinced I am adopted

Old 06-15-2011, 02:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
I love traveling, but it doesn't really boggle my mind any more than it boggles their mind why i'd want to go to all kinds of weird places.

to each their own, i don't mind what other people do. its not like traveling is a necessity or you have to do it to be an intellectual

The money I spend on traveling, is money I don't spend in other areas in which those same people might not understand why i'm not interested in it.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
I don't travel much anymore, I've had my fill of world travel (12 trips to Central/South America alone) and I've done much of my fill of domestic travel as well and I'm becoming a nontraveler, or maybe I'm just taking a long, long break from it.

My continuing smoking habit has definitely become an obstacle. Just glad I did those 3 trips to China 10-15 years ago as even China has now banned smoking in bars/restaurants as of June 1. Sheesh! And, increasingly, more nonsmoking hotels.

But even with that obstacle removed, I feel like I've had enough, now it's just short 2 day trips closer to home.

But for those who haven't even done one foreign trip: Please stand up! Bend over! Kick! Kick! Kick!

Foreign travel is a lot of work, undeniably, but nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel! Eternity, I'm more than ready for you!

Last edited by tijlover; 06-16-2011 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-16-2011, 01:08 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,985 times
all my cousins on my mothers side have never travelled. aside from occasional visits to family in mexico and vegas they never leave southern california.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:52 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
I cannot comprehend people who do not like travelling but it does not bother me , as after all we are all entitled to our own lives and the live them as we like.

But yes it does baffle me. As someone who is a travel addict ( it is I am convinced a psychological disorder when it comes to the level of pining I have for moving on) it puzzles me how people can quite happily live in one place happily for years , work the same job AND never travel either. We have a young couple of friends who are quite happy spending their paid vacation sitting indoors in front of a computer or playing video games. Which to me is odd beyond belief.

I will squeeze every single drop of our ( very generous) holiday allowance and will make sure we take the very last flight before we have to be home. I will work out various "machiavellian" schemes to ensure the efficiency of our vacation time making it last as long as is humanly possible.

I don't even like spending time at home during the week-ends or evenings never mind our holidays. There is nothing to me more pleasurable than travelling. It is I suppose an inherent part of who I am and I feel bereft if I do not get to move around, see new places, new faces, try new foods etc.... I think I would go mad.

So when someone goes "meh" at the idea of travel I simply do not understand it. I don't even know how most Americans survive on their small amount of vacation ( and those are the ones who get some).

Hubby could have been earning a lot more in the private sector but we decided that travelling ( and thus vacation time ) was more important to us than money. I go from planning one vacation to the next. The idea of not going somewhere one year simply chills me to the bone.

If I ever won the lottery I would never go "home" again for any period of time, a couple of weeks there and then perhaps nothing more. Hit the road and carry on going until I dropped.

Travelling is the most intoxicating experience in the world to me.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 06-16-2011 at 09:38 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I cannot comprehend people who do not like travelling but it does not bother me , as after all we are all entitled to our own lives and the live them as we like.

But yes it does baffle me.
friends who are quite happy spending their paid vacation sitting indoors in front of a computer or playing video games. Which to me is odd beyond belief.

I will work out various "macchiavelan" schemes to ensure the efficiency of our vacation time making it last as long as is humanly possible.

So when someone goes "meh" at the idea of travel I simply do not understand it.

we decided that travelling ( and thus vacation time ) was more important to us than money. I go from planning one vacation to the next.

Travelling is the most intoxicating experience in the world to me.
Everything Mooseketeer said here.
Gotta love the "macchiavelian" (sp?) vacation schemes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel