U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Travel city holidays: gas stations, restaurants, in climate weather, truck stops

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 05:44 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,133,411 times

Advertisements

Is anyone planning on traveling during the holidays or have you ever done this?
Any bad experiences?
I know last year my brother had to fly to Ohio to join his family and because of the weather he almost didn't make it.
This year we're thinking about having family meet at my brother's on Christmas Eve. I'm wondering if I should be concerned about gas stations or restaurants being open. It would involve being on the road at night. It's been over 20 years since I made a long trip on Christmas Eve and I can't remember if we had any problems.
What have your experiences been? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 06:00 AM

4,707 posts, read 16,142,619 times
My experience from driving truck with my husband is to be prepared. If you're in an inclimate weather area or traveling to one, have snow chains or tires. If they close a road and then open to only those equipped, they are serious.

Depending on your route, you should have no issues getting gas as the truckstops are open 24/7, 365 days a year as trucking never stops!

Just be wary of tired drivers. Plenty of folks will red-eye it on the road rather than taking an extra day off of work. My advice, don't travel the day before Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:26 AM

622 posts, read 2,558,329 times
Yep, I think cleosmom has it right. Be prepared, and don't travel the day before.

I wouldn't be concerned about the gas station/restaurant part. Most will be closed, but in my experience you can always find some open. Just don't wait until you get on E to fill up.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:35 AM

8,191 posts, read 28,641,964 times
If you are traveling along major interstates you should not have problems getting gas. There may be a few closed in some of the eye-blink towns, but most will be open.

The day before Thanksgiving is a driving nightmare. I have never had problems around Christmas.

I always pack a cooler with a couple of sandwiches and some drinks. I would rather stop at a rest area and eat a sandwich than over pay for indigestion somewhere along the way.

Whatever you do, remember to lock your car when you leave it. Be safe. Don't trust Mapquest! Verify your directions before you head out.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:05 AM

21,929 posts, read 30,888,538 times
We go to my mothers for Thanksgiving and Christmas and it's not very far. About 2 1/2 hour drive to a small town in east Texas. Traffic can be bad but that's expected this time of the year, just be careful and alert!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:15 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,133,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
If you are traveling along major interstates you should not have problems getting gas. There may be a few closed in some of the eye-blink towns, but most will be open.

The day before Thanksgiving is a driving nightmare. I have never had problems around Christmas.

I always pack a cooler with a couple of sandwiches and some drinks. I would rather stop at a rest area and eat a sandwich than over pay for indigestion somewhere along the way.

Whatever you do, remember to lock your car when you leave it. Be safe. Don't trust Mapquest! Verify your directions before you head out.
Actually wasn't worried about traffic and you just reminded me that when we drove from PA to South FL on Christmas Eve it was very quiet. Guess that's why I was worried about gas stations, but we usually don't need gas until we get around my brother's. I was mostly thinking about my daughter. Forgot about truck stops. She'll just have to make sure she stops in Charleston. There's a long section after Charleston without convenient stops. I always pack a cooler too. Again, just thinking of my daughter. They'll have kids with them.
Heading up to your neck of the woods, Evey. Anything you want me to bring ya?

Old 11-14-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Heading up to your neck of the woods, Evey. Anything you want me to bring ya?
Thanks grammy! I think I have everything I will ever need right here.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:39 AM

2,814 posts, read 12,207,499 times
It depends on the weather a lot. There's a big storm brewing right now over the Plains and it's set to hit the Midwest and South here tomorrow with gale-force winds, snow, rain, the whole kit and kaboodle. I wouldn't want to drive in high winds on wet roads, or through blowing snow with thousands of other people tired and anxious to get where they're going to. Flying sucks any time of the year with the delays, lost luggage, security measures, and just how airlines treat us like cattle now instead of as people. I'm staying home! But my sister is going with her family from California to her husband's brother's house in Tennessee (flying). I would like to be at my parent's home in northern California for Christmas, we always have such a good time, but I have to stay here this year.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:03 AM

Oooh! Snow? How much fun! I haven't seen real live snow in 25 years. Wouldn't want to drive in it, but I am just itching to make a snowman.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:26 AM

14,874 posts, read 38,072,658 times
I've never had to travel for the holidays except for twice as a kid. The only traveling for the holidays we do now is about 20 minutes one direction and then about an hour the other direction from our house. So now we just tell everyone to "meet in the middle" at our house. LOL!!! But when we do have to go even the short trips it pays to have patience. There are MANY drivers out on the roads for the holidays that are not familiar w/ their surroundings. Then you add in the vast mix of people out driving and their driving capabilities.... . You have the little elderly couple that creeps along that normally they don't drive far from home but are out on the road to go visit family or friends. Then you have the teens that just may have gotten a new car for the holidays. The college kids all home from school. Rushed and frayed parents (lol, I think I fall into this catagory ). All of us on the same roads. But if you do have to travel the interstates here are a few tips (my dad is a truck driver so I ALWAYS heard these).

1. Be prepared. Check the car out thoroughly beforehand. Check air pressure in your tires and all fluids. If your tires are getting thin, buy new ones for yourself for Christmas, it may be well worth it and bets spending it in the hospital or worse. For longer trips have some blankets and water. Take some coke along too as it has MANY uses. Some snacks can come in handy along w/ a good flashlight, some road triangles in case of emergencies, etc. Have extra fuses and your car phone charger.

2. If you get a flat on the highway, keep driving on the shoulder of the road. I'd rather replace a rim on my car than one of us lose our life trying to change a tire on the side of the highway. If you do breakdown on the highway it is almost always safer to get out of the car and move WAY back off the road. Just look at how many cars get hit while broke down on the shoulder of the highway.

3. Do NOT drive in the far left lane of the highway especially at night. This is the lane that most head on collisions take place in. The drunk driver will get on the highway and move to what they believe is the far right lane when in actuallity they are in the far left lane of oncoming traffic. Stay in the center or the right lanes.

4. Be courteous to those big trucks. They want to get home to their families too. Don't ride right beside them or right behind them too closely. They CAN NOT SEE YOU!!! If you can not see the driver then they can not see your vehicle. If you are trying to pass one, speed up a little and get on around him (riding right beside a large truck is one of the worst places to be). Don't cut right in front of the big trucks either. Use a signal to let them know you need over and they most likely will flash for you to come on over. When passing these trucks if it is one that is a Ryder or such for moving trucks and the regular freightlines, they have their engines governed and usually can not go over a set speed, usually 65. So don't think they are going to get on around when they can't go any faster. If one is driving too fast and wreckless know the DPS emergency number to report unsafe driving. Most states have one. Also along the same lines, don't gridlock traffic. If your going the exact same speed as the cars beside you, then either speed up or slow down and get over in that lane. That way the cars that are traveling faster can move along out of the cluster and those that need to change lanes can.

BE SAFE AND BE CAREFUL EVERYONE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel