Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 01:36 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times

Advertisements

Off to Wisconisn next summer. Was thinking of going to Chicago and Las Vegas?

What would the two cities be like? Is Chicago a safe city? Is Las Vegas worth going to for 5 days? Any particular 5 star hotels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 03:51 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
I'm confused.

You make these sound like day trips.. Vegas is in no way a day trip from Wisconsin.

Chicago is.. Only an hour and a half from Milwaukee or similar.

as far as Chicago being safe.. Not really. all depends on where you're going to be and when you're going to be there. 3am a few blocks from Wrigley is probably not where you want to be.

As far as Vegas.. It's worth it. And I found it totally safe. You're never not close to 300 other people. It is expensive, however. Or, can be.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm confused.

You make these sound like day trips.. Vegas is in no way a day trip from Wisconsin.

Chicago is.. Only an hour and a half from Milwaukee or similar.

as far as Chicago being safe.. Not really. all depends on where you're going to be and when you're going to be there. 3am a few blocks from Wrigley is probably not where you want to be.

As far as Vegas.. It's worth it. And I found it totally safe. You're never not close to 300 other people. It is expensive, however. Or, can be.
Well surely 5 days is enough in Las Vegas? Do you think there is enough to do there if you are not interested in gambling? It looks like an interesting place to go to.

It's not really that far from Chicago. 3 hours is hardly long.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:37 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
I think, for someone who won't be of legal age to gamble or drink (I believe OP is only 19 now), five days in Las Vegas will be way too long. Maybe two days to wander the strip and see the sights, with a bit of shopping thrown in along the way. And perhaps a day trip to Valley of Fire State Park, which is magnificent. Bear in mind it will be hot as Hades in summer - on my four summer visits (over many years) to LV the temp was always over 40C.

Chicago, on the other hand, has many more attractions appropriate for a 19-year old - some great museums, good shopping (I know OP likes to shop), interesting river cruises, fantastic architecture. Then there's Grant Park/Buckingham Fountain, Millennium Park, Lincoln Park, Lake Michigan - all great areas to wander around.

So my vote goes to Chicago for the OP. Plus, if you do run out of things to do in Chicago, you can easily hop on a train or bus and go back to your parents in Wisconsin.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:17 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
Plenty to do in Chicago. Especially in summer. Plenty of sights show Attractions in Chicago. Even Beaches downtown. I do not know anyone not impressed with Downtown Chicago especially. It its ALL the Bells and Whistles. One would expect or hope for. For a Downtown American city. Clean and vibrant and green. Plus the Shores of Lake Michigan. Has it become a major Tourist City today.

Definitely visit. I suggest a Lake or River/Lake tour and walk looking up too. Millennium Park is full of Tourist as is a walk up Michigan Ave and its shopping. Oak Street beach is across Lake Shore drive by a underpass. Make sure you walk onto the beach and take it all in. Also the view from the top of the John Hancock building is awesome too.

Oak Street Beach and part of the Gold Coast of Chicago. Tiki bar also there.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:34 PM

Would it be like NYC? We found 4 days too short.

I wouldn't want to go there and be bored.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Would it be like NYC? We found 4 days too short.

I wouldn't want to go there and be bored.
Things To Do in Chicago - Choose Chicago

The Top 10 Things to Do in Chicago - TripAdvisor - Chicago, IL Attractions - Find What to Do Today, This Weekend, or in August

I'd say post in the Chicago forum asking for things, places, attractions, restaurants you might be looking for? What interest you most? Boring especially on summer.... is not one.

Walk Millennium Park, Lakefront, The Business core (Loop), South and North Michigan Ave. Oak Street Beach. River and Lake Michigan boat tour (have to do the Lake too, some are just the River), Top of the 100 story John Hancock Building 360 skydeck, Variety of Top museums to Choose from.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8886...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8964...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8946...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8823...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8820...2!8i6656?hl=en

I don't think this looks Boring.....

Last edited by steeps; 08-17-2015 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 08:58 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
I've been to both in the past 5 years.. Just got back from Vegas and was in Chicago in.. 2011 or so.

Chicago.. Navy Pier.. Sears Tower.. The museums all annoyed me there, but that's because I'm used to Washington where you go into museums for free.. So paying $35 to enter a museum was a foreign concept to me. Went to a Cubs game at Wrigley.. Lots more things I didn't get to do.. Only spent 2 days there..

Vegas.. I went with a 13 year old.. He had a great time. Gold and Silver Pawn shop.. Saw several shows.. Coke Store, M&M World, Hershey Store.. He got to shoot automatic weapons at Battlefield Vegas.. Plenty to do even if you're under 21.. However.. Getting a hotel room if you're under 21 could be a problem.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I've been to both in the past 5 years.. Just got back from Vegas and was in Chicago in.. 2011 or so.

Chicago.. Navy Pier.. Sears Tower.. The museums all annoyed me there, but that's because I'm used to Washington where you go into museums for free.. So paying $35 to enter a museum was a foreign concept to me. Went to a Cubs game at Wrigley.. Lots more things I didn't get to do.. Only spent 2 days there..

Vegas.. I went with a 13 year old.. He had a great time. Gold and Silver Pawn shop.. Saw several shows.. Coke Store, M&M World, Hershey Store.. He got to shoot automatic weapons at Battlefield Vegas.. Plenty to do even if you're under 21.. However.. Getting a hotel room if you're under 21 could be a problem.
Chicago Navy Pier All ages Love. Though still being renovated in parts with Saturday fireworks.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:23 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
If you love NYC, you will love Chicago. I actually prefer Chicago to NYC because it's more manageable and the food is just as good. There's the Chicago river and the beach to just hang in summer to soak up the sun (it's fresh water beach / Lake Michigan), then there's Magnificent Mile for shopping or window shopping. It has decent metro system to get around. I love Chicago!

I've never been to Las Vegas and have never had the urge to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel