Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:25 PM

239 posts, read 255,675 times

Advertisements

I have a trip to Seattle coming up in February (Feb. 24 - Mar. 1) and I needed help with clothing.

I'll be coming from Miami, where winters are non-existent.

I was looking into buying a North Face jacket, since there's an NF outlet near my house and I want something durable for years to come.

Which model is best? I'm looking to keep warm and dry.

Also... what is the best way to dress there? Layers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 10:59 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
I lived north of Seattle during my college years and went through a couple winters. Like you I'm a native of a warm climate but in all honesty the winters didn't really bother me. Just buy a jacket, whatever one you want, and you're set. No need to layer unless you get cold easily. Even when it was snowing up there I just had on one heavy jacket and jeans and I was fine. It's not Siberia up there.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Layers is the way to go. If you can afford it, buy wick-dry stuff. I lived many years up there. I still have my wick-dry turtle-neck pullover from REI. They're so warm. But, you'll be most comfortable if you wear a t-shirt under other layers. that way, when you go from freezing temps outside to an overly warm room, you can just pull off layers.

You can't beat down for warmth in jackets. You can get them super cheap nowadays. Otherwise, layers plus a puffy jacket.

Shoes that are water proof and some super warm socks. You can get these in wick-dry, too.

REI – Top-Brand Clothing, Gear, Footwear and Expert Advice for All Your Outdoor Adventures - REI.com

The great thing about wick-dry clothing is that even if you sweat, it will keep you dry. Really warm, and it breathes.

The Seattle area is not only cold in winter with snow, but it's also wet. So, it feels extra cold. I disagree that all you need is jeans and a jacket. Worst case scenario, you have more on than you need, so you peel off layers.

The most frustrating part of dressing up there, was pants, in my opinion. It's not easy to remove long underwear. You need it when you're outside, but if you then go inside to a restaurant, you're too warm.

A decent in-between, is lined pants. Even then you can end up too warm, but they're cozy and if you remove layers up top, you would probably be okay.

http://www.rei.com/product/885727/pr...d-jeans-womens

Old 12-29-2015, 11:46 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
You don't need anything heavy. Waterproof, but breathable is the way to go. North Face will have what you need. Looking at their site, the Resolve jackets should work. It's not insulated, but it'll keep you dry. Not too expensive either.

Oh, and umbrellas tell everyone your an out of towner, so use the hood on the jacket. LOL

Old 12-29-2015, 11:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
You don't need anything heavy. Waterproof, but breathable is the way to go. North Face will have what you need. Looking at their site, the Resolve jackets should work. It's not insulated, but it'll keep you dry. Not too expensive either.

Oh, and umbrellas tell everyone your an out of towner, so use the hood on the jacket. LOL
Dry but freezing. Hello.

Who are these people talking about only needing a light jacket in freezing rain and snow? Nobody who lived in Seattle in the winter, that's for sure. Seattle may not get a lot of measurable snow, but you will face ice and freezing temps along with rain when it's warm enough not to be sleet or snow. I spent 18 years in Western WA from the bottom to the top, including Seattle and Bellingham. A windbreaker will not keep you warm.

Who cares if you look like an out of towner. But, I also stopped using an umbrella when I lived in WA. Normally, a hood will work well enough, and then you don't have some wet thing you have to haul around (the umbrella).

But, if it's a windy day, so the rain is blowing right at your face, or you have packages you want to keep dry, or you want to use your phone without it getting all wet, then an umbrella is good to have. Just keep it facing straight into the wind so it doesn't turn inside out.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:53 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Dry but freezing. Hello.

Who are these people talking about only needing a light jacket in freezing rain and snow? Nobody who lived in Seattle in the winter, that's for sure. Seattle may not get a lot of measurable snow, but you will face ice and freezing temps along with rain when it's warm enough not to be sleet or snow. I spent 18 years in Western WA from the bottom to the top, including Seattle and Bellingham. A windbreaker will not keep you warm.

Who cares if you look like an out of towner. But, I also stopped using an umbrella when I lived in WA. Normally, a hood will work well enough, and then you don't have some wet thing you have to haul around (the umbrella).

But, if it's a windy day, so the rain is blowing right at your face, or you have packages you want to keep dry, or you want to use your phone without it getting all wet, then an umbrella is good to have. Just keep it facing straight into the wind so it doesn't turn inside out.
I've lived in WA all my life. The first 26 in Spokane, the last 19 in Vancouver, WA where the weather is very much like Seattle's. The majority of the winter is rain. Yes, I've found a windbreaker works best. I can put on a warm shirt and be fine in all but the nastiest weather. I also like them since they are bulky, if I want to take it off in a store I can. Maybe it's because I grew up where you had to bundle up in the winter. On this side of the state though, it's not necessary. Of course someone from Florida may have a different definition of cold.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:57 AM

239 posts, read 255,675 times
would you recommend sperry topsiders?

Old 12-30-2015, 12:07 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespykidinseattle View Post
would you recommend sperry topsiders?
No. Unless you're going on a boat.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:10 PM

388 posts, read 474,086 times
Get warm, waterproof boots with a good tread on the bottom so you don't slip on icy streets.

You don't need hiking boots - something synthetic you wear with warm socks will be fine.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:09 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
People talk like we live in ankle-deep rainwater or something. Sheesh, yeah, it rains, actually less per year than you get in Florida. In late February-early March as you say about your timing, the odds of below-freezing temperatures in the city are very low. Nobody I know uses waterproof anything; if you're made of sugar a $5 umbrella is a lot cheaper than a $200 goretex anorak; a cap is cheaper than a raincoat.

One thing to note is that unlike other places, when it's going to rain you usually know about it well in advance. We don't get sudden torrential downpours as a rule; most "rainy" days have numerous dry periods mixed in with the drizzle. And there are plenty of places to take shelter from the drizzle; most will happily sell you a $5 coffee of some sort.

Get a water-resistant (not waterproof, they sweat) light jacket and a couple of sweaters and you're good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel