Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 09:03 PM

46 posts, read 87,822 times

Advertisements

I know that the stretch from Fallon to Ely is the more well-known segment, but how about the other (perhaps more barren?) segment fron Ely to Delta? Are there actually only 2 gas stations along the route? What is the drive like, and how did it feel? Is it completely barren, with no civilization whatsoever? This part is US 50 interests me (no clue why), and I'd like to know more about it. What is driving that road like?

*Do you guys have any pictures you took or off the Internet? I tried Google StreetView, but the picture quality was terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,053,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highway View Post
I know that the stretch from Fallon to Ely is the more well-known segment, but how about the other (perhaps more barren?) segment fron Ely to Delta? Are there actually only 2 gas stations along the route? What is the drive like, and how did it feel? Is it completely barren, with no civilization whatsoever? This part is US 50 interests me (no clue why), and I'd like to know more about it. What is driving that road like?

I drove that stretch around 2004 when I was driving between Las Vegas and Provo and did NOT want to head straight up I-15. Little did I know that I would be joined by 200+ Ford Model Ts who were doing a rally from California to Dearborn, MI for a 100 anniversary of the vehicle.

If I were making the trip, I would fill up with gasoline and refreshments in Ely, NV. There are very few stops along the way and cell coverage is pretty minimal. Be prepared for anything as if you break down, you might be out there for a few hours until you get service. By the way, never count upon gas stations, restaurants and other services to either be there or to be open when you need them. I can't count the number of times I have read in a guidebook that a town has services, just to be disappointed.

The terrain is pretty rough with mountainous desert area; once you cross into Utah, it becomes all desert.

That is all I can remember.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:33 PM

46 posts, read 87,822 times
Thanks jlawrence01 for the quick reply. I heard about a place called The Border Inn. Does anybody have info on that? Also I'd like to know what services there are in Baker, NV.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:37 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,571,713 times
I've done it, Delta to Ely, at least once, but I don't remember anything about it. It was just a western highway. If you don't need to stop every 20 miles or so, you don't notice whether you can or not.

I was car-camping somewhere south of Delta, and it was September, so I thought it was summer -- I got so cold I drove to a motel in Delta, then the next day I bought a sleeping bag in Ely.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,554 posts, read 57,471,708 times
Have done it a few times on motorcycle and RV... Tough on the vintage bikes with <100 miles / fill (<2 gallons).

Then I have to go SLOW to conserve fuel... You get to wondering why they didn't make it STRAIGHT! 10 miles south, sharp right, 20 miles west, sharp right...10 mile north, sharp left... Maybe to see if you are awake every 10 minutes!

I just remember stopping at EVERY community swimming pool to get cooled off (especially the bottom of your feet while on a motorcycle)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel