Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 05:32 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
sf is the most overrated city in the us in terms of tourism. I don't understand why people rave about it, i mean, have they ever travelled at all? Put aside the ocean, the city itself is not attractive at all. How can one even put sf and paris in the same sentence? There are probably 20 european cities that are way prettier and more interesting than sf. Plus, only 15% of sf really looks like a city. The rest is so suburban like just like the rest of suburban america.
15%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 06:47 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
SF is the most overrated city in the US in terms of tourism. I don't understand why people rave about it, I mean, have they ever travelled at all? Put aside the ocean, the city itself is not attractive at all. How can one even put SF and Paris in the same sentence? There are probably 20 European cities that are way prettier and more interesting than SF. Plus, only 15% of SF really looks like a city. The rest is so suburban like just like the rest of suburban America.
Couldn't disagree more. SF immediately became one of my favorite cities on the planet the minute I set foot in the city limits. It is without a doubt my favorite city in America. And yes, I'd put it in the same sentence as NY, London and Paris.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:18 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I like Paris.

Of course there are ugly spots, and the prices are astronomical ... but ... Paris is unique.

To me Paris is a quintessentially a feminine city - unlike New York and London which are decidedly masculine. What do I mean by feminine? Well, it is ornamental, elegant and full of charm. The wrought iron work on the balconies, the street lamps, the mansard roofs, the tree lined boulevards, the fountains, the monuments. The little shops. Just look at the Pont Alexandre III bridge across the Seine or the Opera ... you'll understand what I'm trying to say.
That's a pretty good description Similar to how I view DC (feminine) and New York (masculine). Which is why I find DC to be more aesthetically pleasing and more comfortably livable than the NYC even though I appreciate the differences between the two metropolises because that's one of the things that make them so interesting and unique

Old 11-23-2015, 11:16 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Ok, so I have been to Paris loads of times (>15) but the latest trip has left me with no desire to ever go again! We spent a great week in the UK, including London, Bath, Cambridge and some other random places to visit extended family. Overall a great week. Then we (a family of 4) took the Eurostar from London to Paris. The train ride was great but OMG, then we got to the Gare Du Nord. What an incredible dump! Firstly not a single elevator or escalator was working, not one. We humped 4 roller bags up and down the labyrinth that is called Gare Du Nord, all the while avoiding random shady characters who sidled up to us, and holding your nose due to the incredible smell. It is very hard to describe the essence, but a combination of BO, garlic, stale cigarettes, alcohol, smelly feet, urine, dust, grime and excrement. Coupled with every surface being covered in graffiti, it was like arriving in a 3rd world country.

Our journey throughout Paris demonstrated an amazing lack of upkeep and pride by the local populace, and it seemed like the whole city is used as an open-air latrine. Sacre Couer was really disgusting, the smell of urine was overwhelming, coming from the mounds of homeless laying around the place. Of course it was August so everywhere was packed, but changes since I visited 8 years ago included a massive increase in Chinese tourists, who honestly and with no hint of racism, are truly the worst tourists in the world. There was no concept of queuing, awaiting their turn, not smoking in someones face and not standing around randomly in the middle of a busy street. Some of these issues are not completely related to Paris, but it seemed to be acutely concentrated in Paris. Oh well, perhaps Rome will be our next European trip.
I have often wondered about the average tourist experience. I go to visit family and they know how to avoid tourists. I am not a big fan of large cities anyway. After 3-4 days, I'm ready to catch a train to other parts of France. Maybe it's time for you to visit the rest of the country.

Edit: this bears repeating... Paris is not France, and France is not Paris.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:59 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I have often wondered about the average tourist experience. I go to visit family and they know how to avoid tourists. I am not a big fan of large cities anyway. After 3-4 days, I'm ready to catch a train to other parts of France. Maybe it's time for you to visit the rest of the country.

Edit: this bears repeating... Paris is not France, and France is not Paris.
I agree with this. Was fortune to be in France for my honeymoon last month. We started in Southern France taking a cruise and visiting several cities there. Paris is a great city of course..but I think a lot of people are missing out in a way if they are only visiting Paris.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:02 AM

225 posts, read 216,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was there last week, first time. Loved it far more than I expected to. Gare du Nord didn't seem any worse than Penn Station New York.
That hardly makes Gare du Nord seem more acceptable.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:21 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
There are very few big cities in the western world where tourism drives the local economy and Paris is not one of those.
This is what many people don't seem to understand about Paris, Paris does not live on tourism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
Neither does D.C., to be honest.
Neither cities live on tourism but it contributes to a significant portion of their economy. Without them the restaurants and the museums and attractions would be bare. Yes, those cities wil still survive but they would be much less significant cities.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:24 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Neither cities live on tourism but it contributes to a significant portion of their economy. Without them the restaurants and the museums and attractions would be bare. Yes, those cities wil still survive but they would be much less significant cities.
Doesn't that apply to New York, London or whatever elite cities as well?

Old 03-30-2016, 08:26 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Couldn't disagree more. SF immediately became one of my favorite cities on the planet the minute I set foot in the city limits. It is without a doubt my favorite city in America. And yes, I'd put it in the same sentence as NY, London and Paris.
I wouldn't put SF in the same sentence as Lisbon, Portugal or Seville, Spain when it comes to beauty. Even Marseille and Lyon are far more attractive than SF. Paris is a whole three leagues above.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:01 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Doesn't that apply to New York, London or whatever elite cities as well?
I agree with it.

What I was responding to were to posters who are locals and state " Well this is a working city I live in and not a show piece attraction. We don't need you coming here and crowding us and we can get on well without you".

To such people I say bull. If that were the case they will not have an entire tourism department and have signs like I Love NY etc. They have realized that the tourists contribute to a significant chunk of the economy and there is a net positive balance. If it weren't for the tourists the people would have to shell out more in taxes and more money for services, which they don't realize while giving the one finger salute to tourists.

Heck, even your Toronto is actively pursuing tourists to come to that cold place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel