Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 04:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times

Advertisements

Wow. Traveling around the world and you'e thinking about hamburgers?

I'm not sure about the best hamburger I've had outside the US, but one time in Bangkok I ordered a hamburger at a bar/restaurant and I took one bite and stopped. Whatever was in that hamburger was like nothing I'd ever had in my life. Maybe it was some kind of beef fed on something strange? Maybe it was dog meat? Who knows. I left the hamburger and ate the fries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:48 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
I've had really good hamburgers in Mexico and Brazil.

Hot dogs are great there too!

Old 09-11-2015, 10:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Don't know about the "best" hamburger. However I knew I was not in for a delicious treat the time I ordered a hamburger in Belgium and the first thing they did was drop a frozen patty into the deep fat fryer.
You were lucky. In American franchises, they just put frozen patties in a steamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post

I'm not sure about the best hamburger I've had outside the US, but one time in Bangkok I ordered a hamburger at a bar/restaurant and I took one bite and stopped. Whatever was in that hamburger was like nothing I'd ever had in my life. Maybe it was some kind of beef fed on something strange? Maybe it was dog meat? Who knows. I left the hamburger and ate the fries.
You remind me of a child who was given a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice and made a face and said "This doesn't taste like orange juice, and what's that lumpy stuff in there?" Maybe that was real beef in your Thai burger, so it "didn't taste like a hamburger".

Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
For the record, I've never been inside a McDonalds nor any other American franchise, in any other country in the world. I think the only place I ever eaten a pizza outside NA was in Colombia, and it was the only place open at that hour.
While I haven't eaten red meat in 15+ years so I can't answer the hamburger question, I can say I'm a big fan of ordering a cheap soda at an American chain in order to get access to a generally clean and well-kept toilet in an area where public restrooms are otherwise scarce.

Have also ordered a fair number of coffees and snacks at Starbucks in the UK because I had won some free Startbucks GCs over here and the SB mobile app let me use them over there, though at I'm sure a horrible exchange rate.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:45 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
I've had a few burgers outside of North America but the best I've had was in Amman, Jordan. Place was called Fatty Dabs. These are pictures taken by me:

This burger was called the Sunrise. Pretty good.

This was the Chicago:

It had grilled onions on it with mustard, kind of like an imitation of the Maxwell street style food Chicago is known for.

I ended up striking up a conversation with the owner. Some of the guys I went with had heard the owner was from the United States. Come to find out he was from the south side of Chicago! Told him I'm from Chicago. What a small world.

Fries were cut there in front of you and tasted very fresh.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:37 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,031 times
We had some awesome burgers in Amsterdam.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:56 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times
The ones I make myself. I buy minced beef (ground beef) from the butcher's shop, add a bit of seasoning, and grill them.
I always bring home a bottle of barbeque sauce when I holiday in the US, to give them an authentic American taste.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:20 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You were lucky. In American franchises, they just put frozen patties in a steamer.

This is NOT true at all.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is NOT true at all.
At my neighborhood BK, its a steamer, I asked. (Maybe they lied.) I doubt if it matters if they've been thawed or not. But they sure as hell are not "never frozen".

Old 09-13-2015, 06:57 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post

What? When you're overseas for a while, sometimes you want a burger. You ordered one.

I've never ordered a hamburger-like meat patty outside of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel