Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:56 AM

234 posts, read 162,097 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm slightly biased to San Francisco as I've spent some time there over the years and I've only passed thru Boston once.
I like San Francisco for a number of reasons: great culture and entertainment, amazing culinary scene, epic history, you are near everything - you have beautiful beaches nearby (including nude beach), mountain forests above Berkeley to hike/camp in, numerous parks scattered throughout, great 420 and drugs (if your thing), good music scene, good public transportation, not too cold of winters, and a short drive to breath-taking northern California via Highway 1 along the coast that takes you through redwood forests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 08:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennia View Post
San Francisco. I've been there about 6 or 7 times and love it. I almost moved there 7 or 8 years ago, actually.

I don't know much about Boston, though I have friends there. I've only been through it with quick stops, or for overnight for things like weddings.

SF is a great city to visit. I think it is one of the best cities to visit in the U.S. I loved traveling and visiting there.

I found living there to be VERY different. Not that enjoyable at all.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 PM

63 posts, read 53,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Boston is "East Coast," so I'd exclude it for that reason alone. Too much of a "guilt trip" mentality.

San Francisco, on the other hand, is a breath of fresh air. I'm assuming money would be no object.
Money would be an object. I'd make around $55,000 in Boston and $60,000 in San Francisco. Same job, same company. My significant other would have an income too though probably around $45k-$50k in both. No car so no car payment, no car insurance, and no gas to pay for.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:34 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4_Cars_Travelling View Post
Money would be an object. I'd make around $55,000 in Boston and $60,000 in San Francisco. Same job, same company. My significant other would have an income too though probably around $45k-$50k in both. No car so no car payment, no car insurance, and no gas to pay for.

Having lived in both, I found SF to mainly be more expensive in housing, and groceries. Oh, and the sales tax on clothing, but that didn't impact me much. The tax on meals, including that restaurant health care fee in the city added up, but I found eating out cheaper and the food generally better.

You won't be spending as much on utilities though, and you won't need the variety of wardrobe.

Just yeah, culturally its different. SF is great to visit, but socially it has a lot to be desired (in the city) for someone out of their 20s/early 30s.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:52 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4_Cars_Travelling View Post
Would you rather live in Boston or San Francisco? Please tell me why and explain your choice. Thanks!
That's like asking if I want my arms or legs broken. Mmmm...neither are appealing and I have been to both. 100 miles away from either is cool.

Boston is crowded like sardine can hell and people are Boston rude. I drive out of my way to avoid the place when going to ME.

Other than some touristy stuff SF is dippy la-la land. I try not to venture north of Monterey if out there. My brother will fly there to eat oysters at the wharf and go back home.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Boston is "East Coast," so I'd exclude it for that reason alone. Too much of a "guilt trip" mentality.

San Francisco, on the other hand, is a breath of fresh air. I'm assuming money would be no object.

How so?

Old 09-26-2015, 08:16 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
Hard choice You pretty much picked the butt-hole of each coast.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:31 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
If I had to pick one...San Francisco. Better weather and more hiking and other outdoor things to do.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
If I had to pick one...San Francisco. Better weather and more hiking and other outdoor things to do.

Are there other redeeming qualities of SF other than your choices of out of doors activities?

Old 09-28-2015, 02:19 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
How so?
How so? That's hard to explain. From my experience, the whole East Coast has a certain mindset. The West Coast is something else entirely. I think it's one of those things you have to experience. Maybe it's beach the West Coast is more transient? I just don't know, but I know the phenomena is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel