Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 05:52 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,976 times

Advertisements

Recently took a train trip in the US for a route I could've driven, flown or taken the bus. I was pleasantly surprised by how stress free and relaxing it was. I felt BETTER and invigorated after the trip rather than tired and harassed which is weird.

So in early 2016 I'll be travelling to Europe and I may do some transatlantic travel and I'm thinking rather than connect in one country maybe try using the train. This is the hypothetical scenario, say I was flying from India into Munich but wanted to go to Switzerland. Rather than wait 3-4 hours for a connecting flight, I'd take the train to Zurich from Munich and see some of the country side.

I have soem questions though:

1. Do passengers face forward, or you face someone else? (that's typically in European transportation designs but I find it weird)

2. How early can one by a TGV or speed train in Europe?

3. Do TGV allow large suitcases?

4. If you're connecting at an airport, do you need a visa for your destination country or for your connection country? In my hypothetical example would I need to visit the Swiss or the German consulate in the US?

Also just interested in you European train experiences and what advice or adventures you have to tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 07:30 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Your question is kind of weird. You are "pleasantly surprised but how stress free" train travel is, how come? it should be common sense.

Taking the train is the default transport method in Europe, particularly in countries like Germany, Switzerland, France and Spain. It is cheap, comfortable, reliable and stress free. You take the train unless you travel over long distance (such as from southern Italy to Portugal).

What's weird about facing someone in the train? It is a common design in most countries.

TGV etc can be booked as early as 3 months in advance. Usually the earlier, the cheaper.

As to visa, there is a thing called "Schengen Zone" within which there is no visa control. Basically you travel as if you are in one country.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:24 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Your question is kind of weird. You are "pleasantly surprised but how stress free" train travel is, how come? it should be common sense.

Taking the train is the default transport method in Europe, particularly in countries like Germany, Switzerland, France and Spain. It is cheap, comfortable, reliable and stress free. You take the train unless you travel over long distance (such as from southern Italy to Portugal).

What's weird about facing someone in the train? It is a common design in most countries.

TGV etc can be booked as early as 3 months in advance. Usually the earlier, the cheaper.

As to visa, there is a thing called "Schengen Zone" within which there is no visa control. Basically you travel as if you are in one country.
?

I was talking about USA. Had never taken it long distance (more than 1 hour) before so I was genuinely surprised by how smooth the travel was. I'm asking from genuine ignorance and seeking help, nothing more.

Thanks for the other tips--I'll look into it. Cheers.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
The last time I had ridden a train in Europe was in 1968 -- until this year, when I rode from Chisinau to Odessa by train. It was exactly the same, train travel hasn't changed a bit in 47 years. Probably still the same passenger car.

There was passport control on that train, entering a country that is literally engaged in a shooting war, but the formalities at the border took only about ten minutes.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:00 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I have soem questions though:

1. Do passengers face forward, or you face someone else? (that's typically in European transportation designs but I find it weird)

2. How early can one by a TGV or speed train in Europe?

3. Do TGV allow large suitcases?

4. If you're connecting at an airport, do you need a visa for your destination country or for your connection country? In my hypothetical example would I need to visit the Swiss or the German consulate in the US?

Also just interested in you European train experiences and what advice or adventures you have to tell.
1. It varies by train and even within a cabin. If your train has optional or mandatory seat reservations, you'll generally be shown a seating chart that shows forward, backward, etc. when you're picking your seat.

2. Early? Usually you can buy tickets a few months out. In terms of time of day, common for first train to leave the station around 5-6 a.m. with additional departures until the long distance overnight trains are sent off

3. Yes. There is a luggage storage area at the end of each train car. While theft from baggage is very rare, bags are in a common area and keep your passport and other valuables on or close to you. (You can have a carry on bag at your feet just like you can in an airplane)

4. If you have a USA or Canadian passport, travel is visa-free in the Schengen zone and most other non-Schengen countries like the UK. If you are an Indian passport holder, I think you apply for a visa for the country you are planning to arrive in. Save for extraordinary circumstances like the current migrant/refugee situation, there are no internal border controls within the Schengen zone and a visa for Germany also works for France, Italy, etc.

5. For long routes, there are often first class and second class cars. Second class cars are perfectly pleasant; first class gets you slightly more seating room and the occasional perk like free access to the DB lounges if you've booked on an ICE (inter city express) train. The price difference between the two is often not that much, especially if you're the tye to make a light meal of the food offerings in the lounge.

TGV is another level beyond Amtrak in the USA. And kind of addicting- I now want to go back there and have an excuse to ride it again. Or go to Japan and see how their bullet trains compare.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:15 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,352 times
Overall, I love trains. But I have found that in Europe, unless you book early or get some kind of a sale, they are really expensive. Especially an ICE. And yes, the train rides are pleasant and relaxing. However, you have to handle your own luggage when getting to the train. You might have to lift heavy suitcases on the free racks. And as "beachme" said, the luggage is kep in common areas, completely unsecured with everyone potentially having access to it. If you are traveling alone, that might be an issue when you go to the bathroom or fall asleep.

I have found that flying budget airline or taking the bus was in generally cheaper in Europe than high speed trains, unless you get a great sale. Both of these modes of transportation are painful and unpleasant. Buses are slow and can get stuck in traffic. Budget airlines have no service and pack people like sardines. But for both bus and plane, you check in your luggage, get a receipt and it is in general not accessible to anyone while you travel.

This information is as of about five year ago when I was last in Europe. Not sure if anything changed or not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel