Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 10:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Ideas and affordable destinations / adventures welcome.

this is a good recent article and blog on <$55/ day.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/how-to-...108768312.html
One World One Year » One Couple's Round The World Travel Blog

We start our yr RTW in Dec, and are planning on spending 1/2 the $48k cost of the above. (Air is covered by mileage points), staying in Hospitality Guest homes (as we have for 25+ yrs)

Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Will be taking a pass on expensive large cities that we have already explored, will be staying in small towns and enjoying more local culture and food. (Unlikely we will ever have a hotel / fancy meal, as they are often pretty bad & don't fit our taste).

Plan is to start from Europe (Kristmas Marts) and head to SA, then to NZ (via Cook Islands), try to make SE Asia for Chinese New Year (Feb)

I expect our biggest expenses to be;
1) 1 month camper van rental in NZ
2) Regional airfares from 'hubs' (South America will be a challenge for transportation costs)
3) Occasional lodging in a few large cities.
4) Euro-rail passes / regional transportation in Europe.
5) Food... usually buy at fresh markets / local shops.

I will miss the econo-food of the USA, as we did when living overseas (Europe). I must admit that I came home to the USA and had a $1 whopper and a $0.25 soft drink. While in USA, I budget $1/ day for eating out and $100 total for grocery and entertainment for family. Has worked fine for 30+ yrs ($100 / month in an envelope, when it is gone... get creative... (open the freezer full of salmon and berries)). The kids were never impressed when we ran out of dough for food(seldom).

Ideas, experiences in RTW what to do and NOT-DO!

No 'Travel Queen', i.e. non-budget / 'non-adventure' / conventional thinkers need comment (or diss...). tho they will cuz they MUST.
Thousands travel well, safe, comfortably, and economically every day. (tho tough for many to swallow)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 11:43 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
IIRC, Chile and Argentina have generally safe, comfortable, and relatively affordable regional/inter-city bus service that might be subbed in for flights in the region. Probably a pretty awesome way to get an extended view of the Andes if you plan your route map right. I'd take money not saved from flying there and go for a splurge to Easter Island or the Galapagos, if there is such thing as an affordable way to do the Galapagos.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
My wife and I traveled together around the world in 1996-7, together spending a total of $8,000 including plane fare, we were gone for eight months, all of that in Asia.

The trick is to avoid the expensive places. We spent only ten days each in Korea and Taiwan and Singapore, which were budget busters, but it was easy to stay in most other countries in Asia for under about $30 a day. I don't know what inflation has done since, but I stayed this year in six central Eurasian countries, with most days costing under $20 for one person. So I think I could easily travel all over Asia for a year by myself for under $8,000, with a normal schedule of ground travel and sightseeing.

It's mow possible to fly around the world for $1,155. New York to Bangkok in Aeroflot across the Atlantic for $524, and Bangkok to New York on China Eastern across the Pacific for $630. There's probably a cheaper way if you look for it, maybe through Kuala Lumpur. A couple hundred more if you want some stopovers

JFK-BKK $536 on EVA, over Pacific via Taipei
BKK-DEL $193 on Sri Lankan, via Colombo
DEL-JFK $482 on Aeroflot over Atlantic via Moscow
Total $1,210, unlimited time in Bangkok and Delhi.

Aeroflot is currently quoting some amazing fares, via Moscow, to lots of exotic locations. This might be as cheap as it gets, the ruble ended is slide about three weeks ago, and might have bottomed out.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-15-2015 at 02:26 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 05:08 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
Aeroflot is really cheap. I was shocked at some fares I stumbled into without even looking from Toronto to Moscow. About $450 one-way. I can only imagine how great it would be in roundtrip fares. I would predict $700 or so.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:31 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
I also endorse bus travel around South America. We are talking first class, clean and comfortable buses, not a sketchy run down form of transport. I have taken buses from Colombia through Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and Brazil. Here's a bus company in Chile that is representative of what you will find in many countries of South America. This bus company also has routes to Mendoza & Córdoba, Argentina.

https://www.turbus.cl/wtbus/indexCompra.jsf

A bus fare for a 1050 km trip (13 hours) from Santiago south to Puerto Montt costs about 14,000 Chilean Pesos ($20 USD). I don't recommend taking that trip non-stop, because there are too many beautiful places along the way. It simply represents how reasonable the cost of taking first class buses can be. Once you get to a place to set up as a base for awhile, there are all kinds of local transport options available from car rental to public transport to local tours.

Here is an article that might give you some ideas. I have been on many of these bus routes except for the one in Venezuela.

Seven Spectacular Bus Routes Through South America | BootsnAll

Old 09-16-2015, 05:27 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
IIRC, Chile and Argentina have generally safe, comfortable, and relatively affordable regional/inter-city bus service that might be subbed in for flights in the region. Probably a pretty awesome way to get an extended view of the Andes if you plan your route map right. I'd take money not saved from flying there and go for a splurge to Easter Island or the Galapagos, if there is such thing as an affordable way to do the Galapagos.
I believe the cheapest way to see the Galapagos Islands is to find a local travel agent in Ecuador who can find you deals on a land package (meaning staying at a hotel on one of the main islands with daily trips to various other islands, etc.) plus a cheap r/t fare using a locally based domestic airline. One must book some kind of group tour when going to the Galapagos as individuals can't travel on their own to see the various uninhabited islands (with interesting unique wild life) without a local licensed tour guide.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I believe the cheapest way to see the Galapagos Islands is to find a local travel agent in Ecuador who can find you deals on a land package (meaning staying at a hotel on one of the main islands with daily trips to various other islands, etc.) plus a cheap r/t fare using a locally based domestic airline. One must book some kind of group tour when going to the Galapagos as individuals can't travel on their own to see the various uninhabited islands (with interesting unique wild life) without a local licensed tour guide.
That's true, you can often find very cheap excursion packages and even air-only fares from local travel agents. They often have promotional packages very cheap on domestic flights. Air is often the cheapest way to get around Bolivia..

Old 10-02-2015, 09:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Great ideas, I appreciate the guidance.

Any 'special' destinations in SoAm for Christmas? (non touristy...seeking interesting local cultures)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel