Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 07:58 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,399 times

Advertisements

I like the in-between countries.

Second world countries like Canada extend my wallet without feeling in danger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 10:30 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
I find the more expensive countries to be comparatively boring to travel in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm sure there is, but yeah, in places like Cambodia (major cities) it was in your face. I got approached often there. I certainly wasn't going to not visit Angkor Wat because of that crap though.
I think we have had this conversation before, but yeah, I am just amazed that you had that experience. Have spent quite a bit of time in Cambodia, even lived there for a stint, and never get approached outside of certain parts PP and snooky. And I have no qualms against sleeping with prostitutes, do it all the time where ever I am in the world (in fact one visited me today here in Seattle, I guess you're scared to come to Seattle now OP?). But yeah the sex scene is nowhere near as in your face in Cambodia as it is in some other countries. Very low key. Are you sure you weren't just getting approached by annoying tuk tuk drivers who were offering to take you to a scam place?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:24 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Hmm.

We just returned from two weeks in Kenya. For the typical Kenyan citizen the cost of living is quite cheap. But for travelers to Kenya it's very expensive, especially if you are on safaris, as we were. Even standard midrange hotels in Nairobi are quite expensive for what they are. I don't begrudge a single penny as it was a fabulous trip. But would you define Kenya as a cheap country or an expensive country? Hard to say, isn't it?

I've been to numerous "cheap" countries as defined by the typical cost of living but which were quite expensive to travel to because the limited infrastructure gives you two options: standard western level comfort/quality at high prices or very (very!) basic and crappy for cheap rates. On the other hand, "expensive" countries tend to have a much broader range of accommodation and dining and activity for all levels of traveling. Europe can be very expensive, or it can be inexpensive if you plan it carefully.

SE Asia is one area where you can genuinely travel "nice" for not much money and you get a lot of bang for the buck in Thailand or Vietnam or Indonesia (slightly less so in Malaysia). I never felt unsafe in any of those places or that I was at risk for food poisoning any more than I would have been in Europe, as long I took proper precaution.

Avoiding "cheap" countries over fears of poisoning or crime is purely a red herring.
This is the point that I was trying to make. Thank you.

I should reiterate too, I have absolutely done some fairly adventurous travel. Again, I had contact with a rainforest indigenous group that still used blowguns in Ecuador. I've gone down to the Mexican (Nogales) border by myself. I've gone on long hikes in wilderness areas that were miles from a paved road.

I am not "afraid" per se. Its hard to explain, but yeah, I'm looking for a rationalization that I can give to friends who are inquisitive about my travel choices.

I guess there's something about certain places, I can't put my finger on it. I guess I like to disassociate myself with those who do somewhat self indulgent vacations in developing nation. Its part of a white, liberal guilt thing?? (Also explains why my friend from Russia doesn't have that issue, as her own motherland is a little developing). I figure if I DO go to a developing nation, I want to do the whole anthropologist/ remote indigenous people kind of experience (which I've done before and would like to do again.

But yeah self indulgent experiences in close proximity to poverty might be more of the issue.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:05 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post

I'm glad to see you think Canada has made it all the way to "second world" status.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_World

Old 09-28-2015, 12:27 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
I think we have had this conversation before, but yeah, I am just amazed that you had that experience. Have spent quite a bit of time in Cambodia, even lived there for a stint, and never get approached outside of certain parts PP and snooky. And I have no qualms against sleeping with prostitutes, do it all the time where ever I am in the world (in fact one visited me today here in Seattle, I guess you're scared to come to Seattle now OP?). But yeah the sex scene is nowhere near as in your face in Cambodia as it is in some other countries. Very low key. Are you sure you weren't just getting approached by annoying tuk tuk drivers who were offering to take you to a scam place?

They were women and not driving a tuk tuk, so yes, I'm sure.

And it was the most in my face out of anyplace I've been, not at all low key IMO, but I hardly go to places known for that stuff, thankfully. I don't need to pay for sex and I hope I never do.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:16 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They were women and not driving a tuk tuk, so yes, I'm sure.

And it was the most in my face out of anyplace I've been, not at all low key IMO, but I hardly go to places known for that stuff, thankfully. I don't need to pay for sex and I hope I never do.
You're taking the whole sex thing much too seriously. Maybe the "problem" is you? First, remember that you're in a different culture. You're not in Kansas any more. Secondly, if you're that sensitive, stay home. The world is not going to change to meet your expectations. Traveling is supposed to be an experience. That's the point. You experience a different reality.

I've spent some time in Asia. At first, things seem very bizarre, especially the nightlife. But after a while, it's all just background noise. Yep, there are prostitutes everywhere. So what? There are 7-11s on every corner, too. But I don't let them ruin my vacation. Just walk on by.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
This is the point that I was trying to make. Thank you.

I should reiterate too, I have absolutely done some fairly adventurous travel. Again, I had contact with a rainforest indigenous group that still used blowguns in Ecuador. I've gone down to the Mexican (Nogales) border by myself. I've gone on long hikes in wilderness areas that were miles from a paved road.

I am not "afraid" per se. Its hard to explain, but yeah, I'm looking for a rationalization that I can give to friends who are inquisitive about my travel choices.

I guess there's something about certain places, I can't put my finger on it. I guess I like to disassociate myself with those who do somewhat self indulgent vacations in developing nation. Its part of a white, liberal guilt thing?? (Also explains why my friend from Russia doesn't have that issue, as her own motherland is a little developing). I figure if I DO go to a developing nation, I want to do the whole anthropologist/ remote indigenous people kind of experience (which I've done before and would like to do again.

But yeah self indulgent experiences in close proximity to poverty might be more of the issue.
Ethnotourism is about as racist as you can get. Travelling halfway around the world to watch people wearing costumes is a joke. The expensive tour groups you idealize are disgusting, you think any of the money you spend on those sheltered group tours actually goes to help the small business owners and impoverished people of these countries? It doesn't, just goes to some multinational corporation. You have white liberal guilt? Then stay at locally owned guesthouses, eat at street vendors, and actually experience the local culture instead of going on overpriced tours to stare at people wearing exotic clothing.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:13 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post

Canada a second world country?? You must be living in a USA #1! country, no less. Somewhere behind a rock probably, or in a cave. Do you travel?? Did you visit Canada, ever? How much do you KNOW about Canada?
I am sorry, but I would like to know the logic behind your statement...

Old 09-28-2015, 03:24 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
This map is... stupid! Look closely - it shows Sweden, Finland, Swiss, Ireland... (in green) as a Third World countries!
BTW: This is COLD WAR map. It has nothing to do with present situation.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:27 PM

These are outdated terms that are worse than useless nowadays. Makes more sense to just use developed, developing, underdeveloped, newly industrialized, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel