Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 10:47 PM

92 posts, read 83,515 times

Advertisements

I have a bit of cash saved up and I don't want to do another winter here in New England this year. I can already feel it creeping in. We had a really nice summer and I'm not ready for it to be over. I haven't been on a road trip in years. Right now would be a great time for me to go. I'm not in a relationship, no debt, I have a seasonal job, gas is cheap, etc. I just got a used pickup truck and I plan to put on a camper shell and loading it up with outdoor gear: kayak, bike, fishing rods, etc.

I'm obviously going to head south but I'm not sure where. Maybe FL, maybe back to CA or AZ. It has to be somewhere warm. I have a limited budget. I will probably have a total of 4k - 5k to spend for the whole trip. In the mean time, I'm going to sell off some of the stuff that I don't need or use to get extra cash. I'm not looking for fancy. I might do a campsite down in the Florida Keys but it's pretty expensive there.... I'm really into fishing so that would be heaven for me.

My other thought is going out to the desert in Southern CA. Maybe moving around a bit, doing some hiking. Make my way out to lake Powell. Maybe I will do late winter trip into spring and make my way up the 1 and camp along the way.

Anyone ever camp out of their truck for a few months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 11:02 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Yes with a camper that had a toilet, stove, refrigerator, bed.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:49 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,957,969 times
Yes, in Key West back in the day. I don't think you can get away with it anymore. Maybe boondock in Quartzite, AZ?

Old 10-02-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Yes with a camper that had a toilet, stove, refrigerator, bed.
My plan is to get a Yeti cooler. I use one on the boat for icing fish. It holds ice for 7 days in the summer heat. It's amazing. I found a deal on one but I need to figure out what size I need.

For a bed, I plan to build one in the back of the shell.

For a stove, I have a Coleman burner, a portable propane backpacking burner, and a mini charcoal grill.

Toilet... If I stay at campgrounds they will have one. There is always the bumper dumper .

A camper would be nice but not within my budget. Plus I might want to go offroad if I go out west.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Yes, in Key West back in the day. I don't think you can get away with it anymore. Maybe boondock in Quartzite, AZ?
I found a private campground in Big Pine Key that has a space open. It's expensive but not out of the question. It's right on the water. I could probably kayak around and do some flats fishing. Might be able to get a job mating on a charter boat, who knows.

There is a place called Cumberland Island that I want to go to on the way down. It's run by the NPS. You can camp and backpack on the island. It looks amazing. Part of me wants to do some kayaking on the west coast of Florida. They have some island campsites run by Everglades National Park. I will have to do more research though before commiting to that solo.

I've been to Key West. Pretty built up these days. I was thinking somewhere in the upper or middle keys. Free is always the best price but I know that's not realistic in the keys, I'll settle for affordable.

I've heard of Quartzsite but I don't know much about it. I'll do some research. Thanks.

I know of a few places that I can camp out west for free. I used to live out there. It would actually probably be cheaper even though it's farther away. I would have to go later in the year though if I wanted to head north or out of the desert.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:09 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,486,316 times
FM, I sent you a DM. If you end up with two, LOL, it's because the link in the second one is correct. I don't know how I 'managed' to send the first one. Sorry.

Mahrie.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
If you find cold climate an inconvenience why not move to Florida get a job and apartment and live happily ever after.
I lived in a truck for 6 months (St Pete area)in my younger days and you couldnt pay me to repeat the experience.
Maintaining temperature in the truck was impossible as it was usually too hot in the day and too cold at night, storing food without a fridge was difficult, cooking was relegated to a Coleman stove that was inconvenient when it rained. the living space was cramped with problems finding a toilet and a shower.
Camping in a regular campsite was too expensive so stealth camping was required,it didnt take long for the cops to hassle and threaten vagrancy charges if you didnt move on.
While the idea of camping long term in a small camper may have some appeal the experience gets old and boring real fast and is best left to long weekend getaways.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you find cold climate an inconvenience why not move to Florida get a job and apartment and live happily ever after.
I lived in a truck for 6 months (St Pete area)in my younger days and you couldnt pay me to repeat the experience.
Maintaining temperature in the truck was impossible as it was usually too hot in the day and too cold at night, storing food without a fridge was difficult, cooking was relegated to a Coleman stove that was inconvenient when it rained. the living space was cramped with problems finding a toilet and a shower.
Camping in a regular campsite was too expensive so stealth camping was required,it didnt take long for the cops to hassle and threaten vagrancy charges if you didnt move on.
While the idea of camping long term in a small camper may have some appeal the experience gets old and boring real fast and is best left to long weekend getaways.

jambo, with respect, you just didn't 'do' it right! I have dozens of friends who live in vans (mostly), and some in trucks, trailers, or RVs of some sort. There's really no problem heating and cooling when you know the 'tricks of the life,' as they say. I've had some wonderful teachers, not the least of which has been experience. I can point you in the direction of people who live in stealth mode in their vehicles full time -- and love it! They nearly all have TV, an on board toidy, solar panels, computers, cell phones -- you name it! Give me a holler if you'd like a link to their site.

Blessings,

Mahrie.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:51 AM

Check out this video featuring some friends of mine who live on the road full time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg37Cbx-kak

Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You bring up some good points.

So far I have done two trips where I "lived out of a vehicle". The first trip, I was in Australia with a friend. We were in our early twenties. We rented out a Camry and just headed up the coast. It was amazing. We had complete freedom to roam, surf, hike, whatever. It really didn't get old at all. Everything was fresh and new. In between camping trips, we would stay at hostels though to take a clean shower, sleep in a bed, interact with other people, etc. Come to think of it, I don't think it rained a single day while we were there. All of the campsites there were wide open and unmonitored. Never got bothered once. Never paid for anything either except for gas, food, hostel, and the rental.

The second trip sucked. I took my car up to the mountains to look for a new apartment. I decided I would camp out until I found something. I misjudged the weather. It was already snowing by the time I got up there. I spent the first night setting my tent up in the snow. Within a few days, I called it quits and ended up staying on a friends couch until I could find a few place to rent.

As to why I don't want to move to FL. For one, I enjoy the weather there in the winter but I could never see myself living there full time. Getting an apartment just for the winter seems too complicated. It's also a hassle. I'm solo; 1 bedroom places are always the most expensive. If I wanted something furnished, I'm looking to spend even more.

Second, I really like to explore. I'm excited about the new truck. In theory I will be able to check out different areas down there and move around easily. If I get bored, I'll move. I usually don't get bored though. I could fish for a month straight. Kayak around. Try and meet some people. Ride my bike. BBQ. Plan a few hiking trips. I want to freedom to do what I want for a few months.

I will give you this: the rain is a nuisance. I did a few camping trips locally, it rained both times. On the rainy days, I either had to go see a movie or I was trapped inside reading my book which wasn't fun. The place had a clean bathrooms and showers though. On the nice days, I had plenty to do.

The stealth camping thing does seem like it would get old getting harassed and all. My plan is either a campground or public land that you are allowed to camp on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel