Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 12:59 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierMan View Post
There is a place called Cumberland Island that I want to go to on the way down. It's run by the NPS. You can camp and backpack on the island. It looks amazing.
Cumberland Island is amazing! Lots of open land, unspoiled beach, and there are wild horses that roam the island. But just be forewarned: you can't bring your kayak with on the ferry, trash must be packed out, not all the campsites have restroom facilities (I think Sea Camp Beach and Stafford Beach are the only ones), it's a long walk/hike to the northern sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 01:16 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Mahrie, I have done a fair amount of winter desert tent camping. As low as -15 for a few nights on a couple of occasions (Capitol Reef, Monument Valley, Canyon De Chelly, etc. Joshua Tree when it was a little less intense, iirc). Nights in the sleeping bag (with your water bottles and shoes) aren't that bad but the early mornings can be a bit nippy after you get up and want to make breakfast. Best to get going with your hike or drive than just stand or sit around.

Night temps in the more normal 20s aren't a big issue; but if you going to do it voluntarily for weeks or months, it is something to think about compared to available warmer alternatives, can get old and is not for everybody (especially someone seeking to avoid cold). Have a van or RV? Yeah, that would be easier.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-03-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 01:17 PM

92 posts, read 83,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Cumberland Island is amazing! Lots of open land, unspoiled beach, and there are wild horses that roam the island. But just be forewarned: you can't bring your kayak with on the ferry, trash must be packed out, not all the campsites have restroom facilities (I think Sea Camp Beach and Stafford Beach are the only ones), it's a long walk/hike to the northern sites.
Hey Bill, nice post. I have seen pictures. I have been wanting to go there for years. I had a trip planned once and I got delayed and missed my window.... You can kayak to the island though correct? Do you know anything about how choppy the waters are? I know there is some kind of kayaking trail that goes through that area. I will call over there eventually. I read on the NPS website that people bring kayaks (not on ferry).

I've done several backpacking trips. I always pick up trash, no need to worry about that.

I would probably do a couple of nights in one of the standard campsites and then move on and do a night at all of the backcountry sites. I think they said you can stay a week in total. That place looks like paradise.

Do you know if you can do any fishing on the island?

Old 10-03-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
^Arizona and the southwest/west in general is a much better location to live out of your truck than Florida. Florida is pretty hot even in "winter". There are also way to many people. Out west there are all sorts of national forests and forest service roads everywhere. Avoid quartzite it's crowded. There is also a lot more changes in elevation so you can pick the climate/weather of your choosing. I lived in a camper in Northern Arizona for a while. It could dip down to single digit temps at night but would usually warm up to 40+ in the day time. Plus 40 degrees at elevation wih no humidity feels a lot warmer than you'd think. A nice sleeping bag and possibly a small mr buddy heater and you'd be fine.

I have a friend who lives in the back of his truck in a homemade truck camper in Prescott AZ. He can stay at friends house's or drive somewhere in the national forest and get a nice place to park. He built a pull out shelving system up even with the bed of his truck and his mattress is on top. Weather in the southwest between 5,000 and 6,000 feet is damn near perfect. It may snow but it will quickly melt off the next day at 5,000 feet. Many winter days in the 60's. If it gets to cold just head down in elevation a bit.

Lots of places to boondock where you won't get hassled. New Mexico as well. As long as you move around every couple weeks or so. You'll have to read dispersed camping laws for whatever national forest your in.

You'll have a much better time with your plan out west. Every Tom, Dick and Harry with an RV on the east coast goes to Florida in the winter. Campgrounds can get pricey and not as many, if any, places to boondock. Also many campgrounds in Florida may not allow someone living in their truck.... Plus people in Florida are generally (not all) snobbier than their counterparts out west. Can you tell yet I hate florida?

Sometimes I want to buy a nice used diesel school, gut it out and convert it to a boondocking RV machine and head back to the southwest.....
You're probably right. I lived in CO and CA for years. I think about the west all the time. I really miss all of the open space out there. There is a certain sense of freedom out there that you just don't have here. It feels almost limitless in terms of terrain and diversity. My only reservation about heading back that way is that I'm going to be going solo.... I also had a pretty bad ankle injury this year. Doc said it was a sprain. It healed up but I don't trust it hiking steep inclines, etc. Sometimes it hurts still.

For about $1500-$1700 dollars a month, I can camp out on a beach in the middle keys.... That includes camp fees, shower, water, food, outdoor pool, and easy access to the water. I could catch tropical fish everyday! Some of the best shore fishing in the world. FL not a place that I would ever live but I would love to experience the fishing down there. I'll probably do two months there and then check out some other areas while I'm down there. Probably do some backcountry camping in areas controlled by the NPS. Cumberland Island, maybe the Space Coast, Everglades (if the bugs aren't what I'm thinking).

Old 10-03-2015, 01:50 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
If staying in a campground on a beach with a kayak, Florida is a great choice, especially the keys. I lived in Southwest Florida for 20 years so I just have a sour taste in my mouth . Chokoloskee RV park has a marina and your close to the 10,000 islands. I believe you can stay there for ~$600 a month but it's been a while I could be wrong. Anyways, enjoy!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:55 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
You want to do it, are researching it realistically, sound like you can handle it; so if you go for it, I hope it works out. If after a few weeks it is wearing, there are always plans b and c.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:15 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
There's a place in California called Slab City. That might fit the bill. Look it up.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:47 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
I found a private campground in Big Pine Key that has a space open. It's expensive but not out of the question. It's right on the water. I could probably kayak around and do some flats fishing. Might be able to get a job mating on a charter boat, who knows.

There is a place called Cumberland Island that I want to go to on the way down. It's run by the NPS. You can camp and backpack on the island. It looks amazing. Part of me wants to do some kayaking on the west coast of Florida. They have some island campsites run by Everglades National Park. I will have to do more research though before commiting to that solo.

You need to make reservations quick because the campgrounds in the keys will sell out.

You also need to buy a tent. Many campgrounds have restrictions about sleeping in your car because of the homeless.

Also, the point about temperature regulation is dead on. It is HOT down here in the winter. You should at least get a fan for your tent.

Walmarts will let you park for free overnight. There is one either in Homestead or Florida City.

Also, why not get a seasonal job while you are here? $4000 may seem like a lot but what if something happens to your truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you find cold climate an inconvenience why not move to Florida get a job and apartment and live happily ever after.
I lived in a truck for 6 months (St Pete area)in my younger days and you couldnt pay me to repeat the experience.
Maintaining temperature in the truck was impossible as it was usually too hot in the day and too cold at night, storing food without a fridge was difficult, cooking was relegated to a Coleman stove that was inconvenient when it rained. the living space was cramped with problems finding a toilet and a shower.
Camping in a regular campsite was too expensive so stealth camping was required,it didnt take long for the cops to hassle and threaten vagrancy charges if you didnt move on.
While the idea of camping long term in a small camper may have some appeal the experience gets old and boring real fast and is best left to long weekend getaways.
Good points. The rains down here are brutal.

Quote:

For about $1500-$1700 dollars a month, I can camp out on a beach in the middle keys.... That includes camp fees, shower, water, food, outdoor pool, and easy access to the water. I could catch tropical fish everyday! Some of the best shore fishing in the world. FL not a place that I would ever live but I would love to experience the fishing down there. I'll probably do two months there and then check out some other areas while I'm down there. Probably do some backcountry camping in areas controlled by the NPS. Cumberland Island, maybe the Space Coast, Everglades (if the bugs aren't what I'm thinking).
You can't just catch fish. There is specific regulations and they local law enforcement heavily monitors this.

Cumberland Island will be cold December through March.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:12 PM

I made a reservation down there already. I can cancel it up to two weeks out with no penalty. I wanted to stay at the state park but it was already jam packed. I will call to see if they will let me sleep in the truck. I can't imagine anyone would care at an actual campground; never heard of that before. I can see why they would care about residential areas.

I was planning on putting two fans on the windows of the cap. I have about 5 tents in different sizes but I'm thinking the shell will be a lot more comfortable. I might get some kind of AC if necessary.

Does it rain a lot in the keys in the winter? I looked it up online and it said that it was the "dry" season down there in the winter. I did a trip to the caribean for about 3 months once. It was hot during the day, it would occasionally rain for a few hours but never for long. I didn't mind it but I also wasn't limited to just truck space. I was on a sailboat.

I might get a job if I come down. Do you know how busy the fishing charter business is in the winter?

I looked up some of Florida's fishing regulations but I haven't memorized everything yet. I know the keys are part of a marine sanctuary. However, like any gov't website, the information was extremely convoluted. Any important things to know about areas that you can/can't fish, species that you can't keep, etc.

How cold is southern GA in the winter?

Old 10-03-2015, 03:15 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times
Quote:
Hey Bill, nice post. I have seen pictures. I have been wanting to go there for years. I had a trip planned once and I got delayed and missed my window.... You can kayak to the island though correct? Do you know anything about how choppy the waters are?
Yes you can kayak out there yourself, but I'm not sure where you would park or put in.
You'd be in the intracoastal so the waters should be pretty smooth, except for passing boats.

Quote:
I've done several backpacking trips. I always pick up trash, no need to worry about that.
I'm sure. I just mentioned it as a reminder that there are very few services on the island. You really need to treat the whole excursion as a backcountry hike. Also, the ferry only runs twice a day. If there's something you forgot to bring with you, then you are stuck until you can catch the ferry back to the mainland (or paddle back in your kayak). The island has some private residences and an Inn. But there are no shops or stores on the island, and the Inn is only for guests.

By the way ... we've stayed at the Inn, and it was a wonderful experience.

Quote:
Do you know if you can do any fishing on the island?
Fishing is allowed but is still regulated by Georgia state law. I'm not a fisherman so I can't tell you more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel