Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 07:06 PM

99 posts, read 120,329 times

Advertisements

I travel a lot for my job (currently posted in San Jose, Costa Rica) and I've never had a problem for being American, unless someone really had a bone to pick. Most people, even if they don't like the US government so much, will be positive towards American individuals because overall we are very outgoing, friendly, helpful, talkative, generous (tippers)...

Of course, if you go out and about acting like an obnoxious idiot, be prepared to be received as such, but if you act decent you will be treated decently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 10:01 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
The average overseas person cant tell the difference between Canadian and American, so relax.
That depends lol are we talking about a northerner or southerner? A southern tourist overseas definitely acts different from both, according to stereotypes lol the American stereotype of being a tourist in Europe is that of an overweight white man/woman with shorts, Hawaiian shirts, sunglasses and a loud voice in a thick southern accent. (This is when travelling in summer, obviously.)

Old 10-17-2015, 10:14 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yeah, I was told that too, particularly about Quebec City before the first time I went there. But, that wasn't my experience. We wandered all over, and even though my French is pretty terrible, most people were extremely helpful and friendly, and practically bent over backward to talk with us even though they spoke less English than I did French.
This was also our experience in Quebec City. We had a wonderful time and the locals always treated us well. If we walked in to a shop or sat down for dinner, the clerk or waiter would start in french and when we looked clueless would quickly switch to english. Even in shops where they did not know english we were treated very well.

French Canadians not that fond of us? Not in my experience and certainly not in Quebec City.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:23 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I hear the phrase "they don't like Americans" repeated many times when I mention traveling overseas. I have been to Europe, Central and South America, and while in Europe spent a day in Morocco and not once have I had someone specifically ask if I was American and I have never been forced to identify my nationality. While some people have found out I was American by asking where I was from, not once did they take issue with it. Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever had Any negative reactions if they said they were American? Or is my theory that a lot of Americans need to stop being so paranoid true?
I have never had a bad reaction like that when overseas. There was one Metro ticket agent in Paris that was extremely rude to me, but I think he was just like that with everyone. I had one taxi driver in Seoul who got very angry with me when I didn't tip. Because the guide books tell you that you don't tip in Korea. But, apparently, the locals still expect Americans to tip them.

The most memorable reaction I had overseas had nothing to do with my nationality. It was also in Seoul. I was on a cable car riding up to the top of Namsan Tower when an eldery Korean man started saying things to me in Korean that I didn't understand. But clearly he was unhappy about something. Fortunately I was with an ex-pat who knew enough of the language to translate for me. I asked what was going on and my friend said to me "he doesn't like your moustache."

Old 10-17-2015, 11:23 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Egypt and Turkey were the only places I found some unfriendly people. This was in 2005, during the Iraq War. We were told by a tour guide that the people there thought Americans should let that part of the world handle their own problems.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:01 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
I have been to the UK, France, Switzerland, Austria and West Germany. I don't recall many rude people on my trip, in some people were quite open and welcoming to us even knowing we were from the US. This was especially true in the UK and West Germany. This trip was back in the 1980s and I know a lot has happened since then, but my experience with Europe was positive. I would love to go back one day.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:20 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I've ben to several dozen countries and never experienced rudeness against Americans. Though I have seen many Americans rude to the natives of foreign country's. The old expression "ugly American" still exists.
You know if you're nice and courteous to someone they'll be the same to you.
Remember too the "Yankee dollar" speaks well in most country's.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:06 AM

292 posts, read 725,506 times
I live in East Asia and have not had any issues being an American. If I was in the Middle East or North Africa, however, I'd be more vigilant for obvious reasons.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:44 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
There might be some negative stereotypes of American travelers out there but I have never encountered any negative treatment because of this when traveling overseas.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:47 AM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I've traveled all over the world and have never had this issue. I did get some rude attitudes from Parisian's in Paris once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel