Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 09:51 AM

316 posts, read 849,156 times

Advertisements

Our trips usually start with a mention - from a friend, an article, etc. If it peaks our interest, we look into the location using the Internet - looking for the types of things that we enjoy - scenery, cafes, fairs, etc. If the location "clicks" and is affordable, we go. Here are some tips that we have found improve our odds of enjoyment:

- Stay in one place for at least 3 days.
- Learn and use the local transportation.
- Plan at most two destinations per day.
- Learn basic words and phrases in the local language.
- Find food on the fly. Especially browse and buy from food markets.
- Enjoy the ambience, each other and lack of obligations.
- Keep an open mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 04:16 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I'd like to go someplace that doesn't seem like anything I could find in the States. I'd like to go to Egypt. Japan. India. SE Asia.

Unfortunately for me I live on the east coast, just outside of DC. Flights to Asia are prohibitively expensive as they also include a cross continental flight before I've even left the country.

So my choices are primarily in Western Europe or Latin America for a more affordable trip.

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. I don't need to be comfortable. I'd like to experience something new, but I'm afraid I'm just going to be dropped off in a random country surrounded by people going to work.

It's like people from all over the world come to DC and I see them all the time and I'm like, why would you come here? It's full of snobby rich people who couple every feasible activity with alcohol in some way.

I think I'm looking at the wrong places. I don't want to eat at a fancy restaurant. I want to eat local fare. The kind of street food I see Anthony Bourdain eating or something. I need to figure out what exactly it is I'm looking for and choose a destination based on that.

Can this thread be closed?
Maybe you've walked away from this thread anyway, but I thought I'd comment on the words I've put in boldface.

Flights to Asia... Not really, prices are set based on supply and demand, not distance. Quite often tickets from the east coast to, say, Tokyo, are comparably priced to those to western Europe. Or, for example, you could buy 50,000 American Airlines miles for around $1000, turn around and redeem them for a round trip from DC to Tokyo, for roughly the same out-of-pocket as a round trip flight to London or Paris. And flights from the east coast to Asia don't fly across the continent, they fly via the "great circle" route that's more polar than east-to-west, e.g. DCA-JFK-NRT

Food etc. Here's a picture of the street leading to the Naritasan Buddhist temple complex in the town of Narita, Japan. This is roughly a 10 min. cab ride (or 20 min. train ride and 20 min. walk) from Narita airport, the principal airport used for flights from North America and Europe to Tokyo. Note the food stalls.

...and here's a sample of what the temple grounds look like...

Definitely not what you'll see around DC.

Western Europe - Well, you could certainly do a soft landing by heading to someplace like Amsterdam. Plenty of English spoken, picturesque, plenty of street food and places to hang out, also museums, architecture, vibrant politics, or you can get out of town easily to any number of smaller towns or the countryside.

Other ideas: Do you have any hobbies or passions that you could pursue? Think about film festivals, sporting events or tournaments, music or the performing arts... ? Focus can really transform a trip from aimless to purposeful - if you want.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:39 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,283,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Since you've never been overseas, I have a suggestion.

Go someplace simple, but still foreign. Great Britain, perhaps. They speak English, but it's still not like the US (particularly if you get away from the larger cities). Trust me, you'll still feel like you've gone overseas.

That's how I started my DH on enjoying traveling. He had never been out of the USA (except on a cruise ship to the Islands and to an all inclusive in Mexico, neither of which count, IMH). I took him to London, visited my family in Colchester, then we took the train up to Bath, England. He was hooked on travel. He's happily joined me to Europe, Asia, South America, Central America, even lived in Mexico part time for two years. Next month, we're off to Dubai and South Africa.

Had I dragged him to someplace 'exotic' on his first trip, I'm quite sure he would not have adapted easily, or enjoyed his later trips as much.

Walk before you run.

why not Canada? its even nearer from your place than California or the West Coast? you can even drive

Old 10-26-2015, 04:06 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:

So my choices are primarily in Western Europe or Latin America for a more affordable trip ...

... I think I'm looking at the wrong places. I don't want to eat at a fancy restaurant. I want to eat local fare. The kind of street food I see Anthony Bourdain eating or something. I need to figure out what exactly it is I'm looking for and choose a destination based on that.

It sounds to me you are looking for someplace exotic and colorful ... yet are on a budget. Forget places like Japan or Thailand or Chile or even Egypt: they will be expensive, they are not going after the budget traveler.

My suggestion: for Latin America consider Guatemala; for Europe consider either Ireland or the Czech Republic.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:29 PM

88,504 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
I'd like to go someplace that doesn't seem like anything I could find in the States. I'd like to go to Egypt. Japan. India. SE Asia.

Unfortunately for me I live on the east coast, just outside of DC. Flights to Asia are prohibitively expensive as they also include a cross continental flight before I've even left the country.

So my choices are primarily in Western Europe or Latin America for a more affordable trip.

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. I don't need to be comfortable. I'd like to experience something new, but I'm afraid I'm just going to be dropped off in a random country surrounded by people going to work.

It's like people from all over the world come to DC and I see them all the time and I'm like, why would you come here? It's full of snobby rich people who couple every feasible activity with alcohol in some way.

I think I'm looking at the wrong places. I don't want to eat at a fancy restaurant. I want to eat local fare. The kind of street food I see Anthony Bourdain eating or something. I need to figure out what exactly it is I'm looking for and choose a destination based on that.

Wait a minute. You said something that isn't true.

What made you think you have to fly across the US to get to Asia? A flight leaves from EWR to Beijing every day. It flies north to the Arctic Circle, continues above Russia, then south over eastern Russia to Beijing. 13 hours. I'm sure there are similar flights from the DC area.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:55 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wait a minute. You said something that isn't true.

What made you think you have to fly across the US to get to Asia? A flight leaves from EWR to Beijing every day. It flies north to the Arctic Circle, continues above Russia, then south over eastern Russia to Beijing. 13 hours. I'm sure there are similar flights from the DC area.
Yes there are. Flown from Dulles to Beijing on Air China, very similar route and time.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
One of the biggest expenses for me is the airfare, as I book a lie flat seat so I can get solid sleep and hit the ground running on arrival with no jet lag.

Because of that, I never go for less than two full weeks when crossing oceans. Scale of economies.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:53 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
By not taking risks, you never really discover your true self. It’s only ever about doing what is safe and easy but how will you ever know what really makes you tick if you’ve never tried it.
Here are few useful tips:
43 Travel Tips for First Time travelers

Are you an adventurous person? Travel is an adventure. If you like routine, everything exactly like at home, if you are not curious, easily bored, don't like to try new things, or sleep in hotels, fear airplanes or ships, fear strangers, get easily lost, or homesick, are scared of locals, ... then travel is not for you.
Otherwise, just do it! Once done, you will want to do it again, and again...
Good post. I was going to go to Spain, but for me the idea of traveling alone is not appealing. I canceled my plans. Its kind of a shame, but the last vacation I took alone was a disaster. Couldn't wait to come home. Part of that was because I was staying in a resort with all couples, and part of it was being an introvert and not knowing how to start conversations with strangers. It was just awful. So a couple of those things you listed apply to me such as fear talking to strangers. Actually, thats the only one, but thats a huge one for me. I'm not an extrovert and not comfortable in my own skin, particularly alone in a new place. Its damn sad, actually.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:22 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Good post. I was going to go to Spain, but for me the idea of traveling alone is not appealing. I canceled my plans. Its kind of a shame, but the last vacation I took alone was a disaster. Couldn't wait to come home. Part of that was because I was staying in a resort with all couples, and part of it was being an introvert and not knowing how to start conversations with strangers. It was just awful. So a couple of those things you listed apply to me such as fear talking to strangers. Actually, thats the only one, but thats a huge one for me. I'm not an extrovert and not comfortable in my own skin, particularly alone in a new place. Its damn sad, actually.
I have a suggestion for you. Look at trips sponsored by universities. Good examples: Travel and Tours | Alumni Association of the University of Michigan Alumni Tours

They often have a small or no single supplement, and the trips are led by subject matter experts and usually ahve time to do your own thing as well. You will likely encounter some other single travelers, and even if not, because they are small groups (usually 10-20 people max) and you are together for a couple weeks, you get to know each other and won't feel weird because they are all couples looking for a romantic getaway in a resort.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:16 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,616,936 times
Quote:
I've never traveled outside of the country, and honestly I'm afraid my ROI will be dismal. Maybe that's a bad way to think of it, but the fact is two massive oceans separate the Americas from Europe and Asia, and money has to factor in.

My fear is traveling overseas isn't going to live up to my expectations. And I don't know what I'm expecting. I know it's supposed to make you more "cultured", but I feel being a robust reader fulfills that, and how much culture can you get in a week or two in a country where you don't speak the language and can't interact meaningfully with the native population?

I fear I'm going to fly somewhere else, land, and then ask myself, what now? I leave my hotel and where do I go? What do I do? Do I go to a bar? I could go to a bar at home.

I'm pretty much asking what is the mindset you take with you that makes whatever you're doing in another developed country different from anything you can do at home?

Odd question I know, but I almost feel bad because there are maybe, I dunno, 2 places I want to go, but being realistic I'm imagining going there and asking myself what now?
If you are on a budget, you should consider going somewhere that you can base in one hotel and take day trips from there. This type of vacation can end up really helping save a budget.

The trick is to find a city that has enough attractions you find interesting either within it or close enough for day trips.

My personal favorites for this kind of trip are Rome and London. Going to Rome off season, on a hotel and air package can be relatively inexpensive.

In both cases, there are plenty of places within an easy days travel to keep most people very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel