Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 01:45 AM

797 posts, read 1,750,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I get one, maybe two, good vacations a year where I go out of state for more than a weekend. When I go, I don't usually do touristy things like Disneyworld, but I treat myself to nice dinners and drinks at local joints. I went to FL for five days this week and it probably came less than $1,250.

One of my colleagues took his fiance and her parents to Key West a few months back. It came to nearly $10k I thought it was completely excessive!

Do you go all out on domestic travel?
$10k to go to Key West?? Is this colleague looking for a sister? Can he adopt me?

We havent been on a real vacation in 6 years. That last vacation we spent just over $1k to go to an all inclusive resort in the bahamas. That price included airfare. I got an amazing deal at the time. The only expensive vaca we ever went on was our honeymoon and that was worth every penny. Otherwise when we would vaca it would be weekend trips, and we would be very frugal about it (look for deals on expedia, stay with friends/family, etc)... Now that I have health issues and we have kids we dont vacation... Most people I know that vacation choose to either do many small weekend trips like go camping a couple hours away, or do a 5ish hour drive to somewhere fun (atlantic city, NYC, coastal maine, etc.. most of my friends live in MA).... the other friends that dont do weekend trips tend to save up for a nice vacation... so perhaps they ARE spending $10k and I dont know it, but they only go on one big vaca every few years so I suppose in the long run they spend the same amount that my other friends spend on several mini weekend getaways...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 01:51 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
I get one, maybe two, good vacations a year where I go out of state for more than a weekend. When I go, I don't usually do touristy things like Disneyworld, but I treat myself to nice dinners and drinks at local joints. I went to FL for five days this week and it probably came less than $1,250.

One of my colleagues took his fiance and her parents to Key West a few months back. It came to nearly $10k I thought it was completely excessive!

You know, we go when and where we want and spend what we want without second thoughts or judgments regarding how much others spend their own money.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:02 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Well if honest the only time I travel out of London is for stag/boys weekends etc so I go all out borderline mental infact
I think I saw you in Bratislava :-)

Not too many hot Slovak girls out on the town, mostly British blokes drinking with other British blokes.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:03 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
I tend to treat myself well when I travel.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:40 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Most of my travels I do with a very low budget. So the answer to the question is no.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:05 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
We keep a pretty low budget too, we stay at a reasonable motel that offers free breakfast and we usually bring our own soda/water in a small cooler chest for the road (if it's too hot and the soda warms up, we'll get something on the road if we need to) if it's just the 2 of us, if we're traveling w/ friends (not usually), we may tweak it a bit but we don't splurge, it would seem like a waste of $$.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:50 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I think I saw you in Bratislava :-)

Not too many hot Slovak girls out on the town, mostly British blokes drinking with other British blokes.
Wasn't me!!!! LOL

Maybe Prague, Amsterdam, Marbella, or Brugge?

Yeah they was probably asking each other " where's this Larry Siegel bloke? I wonder if he's found any hot Slovak girls yet??? "

Old 11-20-2015, 10:45 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
No, but only because I can't afford to. I love to travel in style, and to me the kinds of accommodations, etc. I have make a difference. I'd also always fly first class if I could. But give me bare bones travel over no travel at all.

My husband and I did just return from a 30-day road trip throughout England, Scotland, and Wales, though. That trip cost us over $10,000, but it was a kind of a once in a lifetime thing. Still, for 30 days (and having to fly all the way from Salt Lake City), I thought we traveled reasonably frugally.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:51 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
When we travel I certainly do not need to go to the most expensive hotels or restaurants. I do spend a lot of time reading reviews on hotel and restaurant sites as well as TripAdvisor.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:32 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
No, not at all. I do what I think I can afford within reason. I feel no need to live a lavish lifestyle on vacation when I don't do the same at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel