Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2015, 07:05 PM

479 posts, read 1,434,636 times

Advertisements

Is it any less busy or hectic than dealing with airports? What about prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 10:24 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Depends where you're going from and to.

Grand Central Station in NYC or Union Station in DC will be quite busy, no doubt. Trains will be fuller than normal, just like airports and airplanes. Some may be sold out.

But.. You generally don't have to deal with TSA.. Price.. Well, if you haven't bought your plane ticket by now, the train will be significantly cheaper most likely. However, if you bought the plane ticket ahead of time.. In most cases.. It's about the same cost.

Example.. GSP to Dulles (SC to DC).. First off, train.. Has left today. So, best I could do is leave at about 11pm tomorrow to arrive on Friday. Coming back is even more problematic.. They can't get me back until Wednesday.. But, it can be done for about $216. Leave here at 11pm, get into DC about 9am the next day. Return leaves DC about 7pm, gets back here about 5am.

Flying.. I can fly for about $335. Bought right now. Leave in about 5 hours, be in DC before noon.. Fly out on Sunday, be home before 10am.

Flying.. If I bought 2 months in advance or so.. Could be done for $219. (Pending on baggage)

Long story short.. You probably should have asked this question a few months ago, if it's more than just an academic question.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:01 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Unless you are traveling Amtrak on the Northeast corridor you can pretty much figure on not getting there on time. (holiday or not)

I use Amtrak because,
The nearest airport is 1.5 hrs away.
More legroom than a plane
Can get something to eat.
No TSA to deal with.
I am not on a tight schedule.
It is less stress full then driving I95
Costs the same as driving alone.

Some people take Amtrak just to see what it's all about (probably not a good reason)

Old 11-26-2015, 01:53 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
In the Northeast, Amtrak is decent. For example, if you want to go from NYC to Philly, no problem. Trains probably leave every few hours, and it's fairly quick. Around 90 minutes, as I recall.

For the rest of the country? Forget about it. Take Amtrak only if you want an adventure and you don't mind VERY SLOW.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:01 AM

385 posts, read 401,043 times
If you are taking AMTRAK on the Northeast Corridor for the holiday they most likely are beefing up their schedules and equipment. They will borrow equipment from NJTRANSIT, MARC, to run for the extra service. I say AMTRAK may be cost efficient then flying .... no T.S.A. , long lines. TSA seems to be the biggest hassle at airports among other things. Though I have read that some people was mad because the extra equipment that AMTRAK borrowed did not have café cars, or bathrooms. AMTRAK made note to the ticket buyers for particular runs that AMTRAK cars would not be used. So if this doesn't matter to you then hey AMTRAK it is. Besides its pretty popular , take a load and forget the air traffic, and car traffic lol. Hope this helps.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:29 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
If one is traveling in the northeast corridor it is cheaper to take a bus than Amtrak. Buses run more frequently and it is possible to get tickets very close to the travel time.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:36 AM

5 posts, read 2,650 times
In the Northeast, Amtrak is decent. For example, if you want to go from NYC to Philly, no problem. Trains probably leave every few hours, and it's fairly quick. Around 90 minutes, as I recall.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:46 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,045 times
I took Amtrak from the Bay Area to Los Angeles this Thanksgiving and it was very nice. Much more comfortable than the plane, bus, or car. It was slow as others have noted -- about 10 hours each way. This year I had plenty of time however, so I didn't mind. It was pretty much on time both ways, maybe ten minutes late.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:01 PM

520 posts, read 601,129 times
I frequently take Amtrak from New Haven to Hartford. I live in NYC but I'll take the Metro North to New Haven, then transfer over to Amtrak. I find the fares cheaper this way. The average Amtrak ticket from New Haven to Hartford is $11 one way. That's if you buy at least a few weeks in advance though. I would never take a bus from New York to Hartford, no matter how cheap. I have been stuck in traffic on I-95 enough times to have learned my lesson.

As for riding Amtrak during the holidays, it's much easier and very comfortable. It does get packed, but you're guaranteed a seat. There's free wifi and many routes have a cafe car. The cost depends on such factors such as distance and how early you buy your ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel