Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2008, 10:34 PM
 
638 posts, read 2,280,904 times
Reputation: 294

Advertisements

We went to Cancun last fall and we ended up riding the ferry to Isla Mujeres 3 times. After being told it wasn't worth our time! But we fell in love with it so three days we lounged on North beach and rented golf carts. That may be my favorite place in Mexico, but I haven't been to them all.

Where else should we try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Reputation: 2287
Rule of thumb is that Cancun is for youngsters and Puerto Vallarta is for retirees. My family went to Puerto Vallarta when I was in 5th grade. I was bored out of my mind!

Now that I'm on my own I might try out Cancun. Hope it lives up to its reputation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2008, 11:05 PM
 
638 posts, read 2,280,904 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Rule of thumb is that Cancun is for youngsters and Puerto Vallarta is for retirees. My family went to Puerto Vallarta when I was in 5th grade. I was bored out of my mind!

Now that I'm on my own I might try out Cancun. Hope it lives up to its reputation!
Commencing countdown engines on....ha ha...I think those are the words.....

Cancun was so fun. See the pyramids at Chichen Itza and Ek Balam, it was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2008, 11:24 PM
 
2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Reputation: 1273
After my first trip to Cancun in 1982, I fell in love with the place and have since been there about 10 times. But then a friend invited me to go to Puerto Vallarta with her and I fell in love with PV too. Both places have great beaches, awesome hotels and an array of activities to do outside of one's hotel. Cancun's beaches are warmer and seem calmer. PV is on the Pacific side and it runs cooler. The upside to that is the awesome whale watching in the area. PV's town is much nicer...it's more a "real" city - more authentic, better stores, bars, etc. PV has better bars, Cancun has more nightclubs. Keep in mind that Cancun was literally created as a tourist destination so it doesn't seem as authentic. I've gone into the "town" of Cancun many times. There's a couple pharmacias, a grocery store, a jewelry store and lots of street vendors. The shopping malls in the hotel zone are modern and nice looking, but the stores aren't that great. In my opinion, Cancun is great for hotels, beaches and nightlife. Puerto Vallarta is great for hotels, nightlife and a it's town outside of the hotel zone. I'll be in PV in mid February! Cancun is shorter plane ride for many Americans so it seems to run cheaper than PV would, unless you're in the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2008, 11:38 PM
 
638 posts, read 2,280,904 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
After my first trip to Cancun in 1982, I fell in love with the place and have since been there about 10 times. But then a friend invited me to go to Puerto Vallarta with her and I fell in love with PV too. Both places have great beaches, awesome hotels and an array of activities to do outside of one's hotel. Cancun's beaches are warmer and seem calmer. PV is on the Pacific side and it runs cooler. The upside to that is the awesome whale watching in the area. PV's town is much nicer...it's more a "real" city - more authentic, better stores, bars, etc. PV has better bars, Cancun has more nightclubs. Keep in mind that Cancun was literally created as a tourist destination so it doesn't seem as authentic. I've gone into the "town" of Cancun many times. There's a couple pharmacias, a grocery store, a jewelry store and lots of street vendors. The shopping malls in the hotel zone are modern and nice looking, but the stores aren't that great. In my opinion, Cancun is great for hotels, beaches and nightlife. Puerto Vallarta is great for hotels, nightlife and a it's town outside of the hotel zone. I'll be in PV in mid February! Cancun is shorter plane ride for many Americans so it seems to run cheaper than PV would, unless you're in the west coast.
Well we fly out of Denver so both are about 4 hours. I have considered PV. They have surfing lessons there, and my son (a Colorado native who won't snowboard) wants to learn to surf. You can't surf in Cancun!

We spent much of our time in the actual town of Cancun (Walmart, wow. That alone was rather memorable....) My husband loved the taco stands but I preferred Isla, it was quiet and low-key and beers were a buck. A beach better than Waikiki with barely anyone on it.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2008, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Sputnik Planitia
7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Reputation: 9045
When I went to Cancun we drove down to this beautiful little town called Puerto Morelos. It's a quiet village and the pristine beach was desolate. The water was crystal clear! A local villager took us in his boat out into the shallow reef to snorkel. After about 2 hrs of snorkeling we were tired and came back to this little shack restaurant where we had some amazing freshly caught fish made with spices. We had lunch and cerveza and just lazed around on the beach. It was just like the Corona beer commercials, I couldn't believe it!!! If you have a chance check out Puerto Morelos and also Akumal further down south.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favorite place to vacation in Mexico and why?-puerto_morelos.jpg   What's your favorite place to vacation in Mexico and why?-puerto_morelos2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2008, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Reputation: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Commencing countdown engines on....ha ha...I think those are the words.....

Cancun was so fun. See the pyramids at Chichen Itza and Ek Balam, it was worth it.

Good Job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2008, 07:58 PM
 
638 posts, read 2,280,904 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
When I went to Cancun we drove down to this beautiful little town called Puerto Morelos. It's a quiet village and the pristine beach was desolate. The water was crystal clear! A local villager took us in his boat out into the shallow reef to snorkel. After about 2 hrs of snorkeling we were tired and came back to this little shack restaurant where we had some amazing freshly caught fish made with spices. We had lunch and cerveza and just lazed around on the beach. It was just like the Corona beer commercials, I couldn't believe it!!! If you have a chance check out Puerto Morelos and also Akumal further down south.
Awesome pics! We have thought about Akumal, and this fall we are thinking maybe Playa del Carmen........decisions, decisions.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 04:05 AM
 
Location: Oxford, England
13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Reputation: 20165
I love Mexico but hate resorts so avoid them like the plague if I can.

I love the Highlands area. Lovely villages, stunning scenery. Jalapa and Oaxaca , Queretaro, San Miguel de Allende or Patzcuaro areas.

Mexico city is an amazing place if one takes the time to explore and I love Monterrey, with its beautiful colonial buildings and Guadalajara. Beautiful Colonial cities such as Oaxaca, Morelia, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Queretaro, San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas, Aguascalientes, Merida in the Yucatan peninsula, among others.

For beaches, the Oaxaca coast, particularly Zipolite and Puerto Escondido. Not as built up and still a lot of unspoiled areas.

The Yucatan peninsula is fabulous for Archaeological sites,and I also really love San Cristóbal de las Casas in Chiapas offers a good insight into Mayan culture in a beautiful colonial city.

Not to be missed are the Archaeological sites , Teotihuacan, Chichen Itza, Palenque, El Tajin and Monte Alban among just a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 09:18 PM
 
638 posts, read 2,280,904 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I love Mexico but hate resorts so avoid them like the plague if I can.

I love the Highlands area. Lovely villages, stunning scenery. Jalapa and Oaxaca , Queretaro, San Miguel de Allende or Patzcuaro areas.

Mexico city is an amazing place if one takes the time to explore and I love Monterrey, with its beautiful colonial buildings and Guadalajara. Beautiful Colonial cities such as Oaxaca, Morelia, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Queretaro, San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas, Aguascalientes, Merida in the Yucatan peninsula, among others.

For beaches, the Oaxaca coast, particularly Zipolite and Puerto Escondido. Not as built up and still a lot of unspoiled areas.

The Yucatan peninsula is fabulous for Archaeological sites,and I also really love San Cristóbal de las Casas in Chiapas offers a good insight into Mayan culture in a beautiful colonial city.

Not to be missed are the Archaeological sites , Teotihuacan, Chichen Itza, Palenque, El Tajin and Monte Alban among just a few.
Is there any place you haven't been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top