Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:37 PM

417 posts, read 815,907 times

Advertisements

I live in San Antonio, TX. I was supposed to go to Hawaii the week of Dec 11 but plans fell through. I need to work part of that week but can take off Wednesday through Sunday, Dec 16-20: a time when there should be a decent selection of hotels, at least for the first few days before people take off for Christmas week.

I'm struggling to figure out where to go. I'm traveling solo. I enjoy long walks, seeing museums and historical sites, and just reading and relaxing. I don't love snow. I don't mind temperatures in the 50's, but 60's and above sound better . I do love the ocean. I go to CA quite regularly, and I think I would prefer something in the southeast or southwest, or perhaps even outside of the US if there was a place a short flight (less than 4 hours) away.

I have thought about
New Orleans: never been there
Naples FL or somewhere on the west side of FL: have been there but I like it
Savannah, GA: was there briefly, for a half day; not enough to know whether I'd like it
San Juan, Puerto Rico: worried about violence but would stay at a resort and only venture to tourist areas during the daylight
Mexico: a friend is driving with her family to the countryside in a small town halfway between Laredo and Monterrey, but frankly I'm scared to death of that option even though she says it's safe. Could also fly to Mexico City and take a bus to San Miguel de Allende.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:59 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
How about Phoenix?

Forget SMA - much too far for such a short trip. Laredo/Monterey Mexico - pass.
NOLA is great, but better shared than solo, imho. Why bother going all the way tp PR if you won't leave the resort?

But wherever you choose, at this point your airfare will be skyhigh.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:20 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
Maybe St. Augustine, FL or Charleston, SC would suit you. Both should be mild in terms of weather, and both have a lot of history and are coastal.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:00 AM

836 posts, read 1,031,607 times
I highly recommend San Juan, Puerto Rico. It is very safe if you stay in the Condado area (which is very Miami Beach-like). It's in the heart of everything. People in the touristy areas speak English. If you get down there, I recommend:

-Fajardo (snorkeling and bio bay in the evening). Unfortunately when I was there, there was a problem with the abundance of seaweed absorbing all the oxygen and the ecosystem light up not working :/
-El Yunque Rainforest - beautiful views. Nice cool dip in La Mina falls. Nearby, there is a ranch there called Hacienda Carabali where you can go horseback riding or ATV riding in the mountains. I was terrified of my horse though (too wild!)
-Relax at Condado Beach or Isla Verde (I heard Flamenco beach is the best, but you'll have to get to Culebra which is a ways away). Make sure you treat yourself to a fresh coconut drink. After you finish it they will cut it open for you to eat the meat
-Luquillo Beach - the water isn't as pretty and clear as Fajardo but just as warm. Right near the rainforest. There are a ton of restaurants along the strip by this beach. I recommend La Parilla! BEST.MONFONGO.EVER.

I agree with jkgourmet - LEAVE the resort. I stayed at a cheap hostel called Island Time and it wasn't exactly an inviting, relaxing place to stay so it forced me to leave to go sightseeing. Explore and have fun! You can also look on couch surfing if you need some people to hang out with.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Maybe St. Augustine, FL or Charleston, SC would suit you. Both should be mild in terms of weather, and both have a lot of history and are coastal.
My vote ^^^^

I stay CHEAP ($10 / night worldwide) 25+ yrs, never a bad stay
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Use SWA for free bags and changes (check AUS for better fares)
Hotwire / Priceline for a $10/ day rental car.
Eat via grocery store (Early AM when produce guy culls the bruised and outdated stuff, often free!)

Old 12-02-2015, 09:17 AM

417 posts, read 815,907 times
Thanks for all the helpful tips so far!

I go to AZ quite often, and it is indeed lovely. I like Phoenix, Sedona and Tucson. I visited Charleston and Hilton Head not too long ago and enjoyed them both. I'm think looking for a place I haven't been before, or quite as often.

Hadn't thought of St. Augustine...looks like a great suggestion. I'm researching it now. I still haven't gotten Puerto Rico out of my mind yet; I could extend my trip to 6 nights. And yes, I could venture out of the resort. I hear the beaches and old town (during the day) are good bets. I think my main concern is going alone. I actually enjoy traveling solo, but am not sure whether PR would be best suited to visit with a travel companion, much like Jkgourmet says about New Orleans. I would be quite ok with spending time on the beach solo, though.

Really appreciate the suggestions!

Old 12-02-2015, 11:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Don't go too far in such a short time frame. PR (and the trouble / expense) deserves at least a week.

I travel solo most of the time. Spouse and I meet up at our favorite spots, but we like to explore on our own schedule / adventure. Spouse prefers camping / RV, so we have a small Class C (Rialta). 22 mpg and fits in a single parking spot, and is very EZ to 'stealth camp', so... we drive long distances together, then split up for regional / sometimes international exploring.

Go someplace close, but unique !
Stay with locals get to know the details / interesting things to do.
Don't schedule to the minute. Be flexible and willing to try stuff you hadn't thought of.

Doesn't have to be a hassle or expensive. It is great to live like a local, rather than a tourist. (wherever you are) Gain appreciation for the culture.

Plenty of unique places in SW / SE USA or nearby SAT.

Do you like cities or scenery?

Food or Fashion?

During DEC trips I check out a lot of local drama companies / university / community special music. I really enjoy holiday house tours (often a fund raiser for local communities). Bake sales / school programs and fund raisers are good too!!!

You might sign up for the weds airfare specials from carriers. (bargains for the coming weekends)
I checked SWA 'low fare calendar' last night and found a lot of destinations under $100 during your time frame.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:16 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Charleston, St Augustine or NOLA should all be fine. NOLA is easy for meeting people.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:52 PM

551 posts, read 1,573,626 times
If I would lived in S.A. and I had a long weekend I would go to Galveston, Padre Island, or Hill Country, many choices here like Fredricksburg, Wimberely etc. You could also book a room at the J.W. Marriott in S.A. which is an amazing place and you won't think you are in S.A. at all and have a staycation. Flights to Cancun are also a good option. Just my opinion!

Whatever you do, have fun!

Old 12-02-2015, 02:21 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I used to live in SA, and if you poke around, you can find really cheap flights to Cancun.. Galveston is great, too, very easy trip and lots to explore around.

The problem with living in Texas, it's so big it takes you forever to drive out of it to somewhere else, so, you'd probably be better off flying.

The first couple of weeks in December are notoriously great times to find cheap deals all over the place.. So get to hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel