Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 04:07 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,362 times

Advertisements

Stop going out to restaurants, bars, and buying clothes. $3000 is way more than enough to travel comfortably, you can do it for even less than $2k if you're cheap abroad and do things like camping and buying food only at the grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 05:57 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,415 times
Did anyone mention rideshares?

especially as the weather gets nicer you could rideshare or drive someone's car cross country (moving scenarios, or sometimes people who want company will post on craigslist)-

friend did that a couple times this summer but from CA to portland ....

Old 01-06-2017, 02:15 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I currently live in Atlanta. I, for some reason, want to visit Portland and San Fransisco very badly. I make $15 an hour. I am trying to cut back to save money for travel and other reasons. I am just wanting to hear from those of you who weren't making alot of money but were still able to do a fair amount of traveling far away from home. Also, I want to know if you traveled with someone or alone and what are some good tips for traveling alone.
I would save that money and put it in an investment account to save for my future. If you don't do that, then don't complain later that you can't pay for repairs to your car, pay for car insurance, medical bills, etc.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:46 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
If you go to really wrong areas, having someone with you won't help.
It might. Someone walking alone is almost always a more tempting target than someone withing with a mate. It is harder to pick pocket someone traveling with a friend too, since the "distract" part of the distract-block-handoff routine is harder to pull off on two people. Same with things like black taxi taking someone off to rob them, almost always happens to someone alone. Drunk and alone is even worse.

Not saying that should discourage anyone from traveling alone, but there are safety advantages to numbers.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:49 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
Actually, I think some of the best things to see in cities are not the tourist attractions but the everyday stuff.
Agreed. When of our favorite things is to find a spot with a view of a local market to sit and sip on beers or coffee while watching things being bargained for, prepped and sold.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:10 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I currently live in Atlanta. I, for some reason, want to visit Portland and San Fransisco very badly. I make $15 an hour. I am trying to cut back to save money for travel and other reasons. I am just wanting to hear from those of you who weren't making alot of money but were still able to do a fair amount of traveling far away from home. Also, I want to know if you traveled with someone or alone and what are some good tips for traveling alone.
For SF, I'd suggest you take the Greyhound and study options for living homeless style for a week. You can shower at the YMCA. Don't know about SF, but NYC's Y will email you a free day pass.

I'm a little richer than you. When I visit NYC I camp out for $55 / $65 a day in NJ and take the PATH.

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpres...d-teoli-jr.jpg

If your broke that is how you do it. If you had friends you could take the bus and stay with them. I usually travel alone. Advice: take a magnum can of pepper spray.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2017, 11:25 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,118 times
best advice I can give to you.

* Get a credit card with a good rewards program, Chase sapphire are one of those cards. Charge all your purchases on the card and make sure you pay it off on time. Once your points collect you can use them for flights and hotel stays! We get 2 round trip flights this way, some airlines offer flights at a very low points value. Do the same for all the hotels you stay at, become a member of their points rewards program, which is usually cheap.

* If you can get employment in the airlines or hotels, you will get employee discounts.

* If you travel by train, booking a few months out will offer the cheapest rates. works the same for airlines, except some offer a price drop guarantee (gotta keep your eyes open to get the lowest far). as mentioned mid week flights are the cheapest.

* If you do book a room, get the lower grade hotels, that offer free breakfast with your stay.

* Having a travel buddy is always better , but if you want to go , don't let this hold you back, document your adventure and bring a camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel