Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 12:30 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,801,941 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Atlanta. I, for some reason, want to visit Portland and San Fransisco very badly. I make $15 an hour. I am trying to cut back to save money for travel and other reasons. I am just wanting to hear from those of you who weren't making alot of money but were still able to do a fair amount of traveling far away from home. Also, I want to know if you traveled with someone or alone and what are some good tips for traveling alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 09:58 AM

19,371 posts, read 27,598,439 times
I have traveled alone as well as with others. Though I'm no longer stretched for funds, i can give you some ideas on budget travel.

Look at airbnb, hospitality stays and if you have a nice home, home exchanges.
Find lodging that includes a fridge and cooking facilities so you don't eat all meals in restaurants.
Book plane tickets well in advance, flying on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday.
Travel during low season, not high season.
Generally, use public transportation instead of rental cars and taxis.
Look at utilizing alternative airports.
Don't check luggage (unless you're flying on SouthWest)

SF is a VERY expensive city. Look for alternatives.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:43 AM

556 posts, read 941,809 times
I have traveled alone, and enjoyed it, but I'm generally happy doing things on my own at home.

I have a separate savings account for travel funds, and put a small amount of money in each week, plus deposit and unexpected income (e.g. cash gifts) to my travel account. A lot of banks offer savings accounts that automatically transfer a small amount into savings with every debit card transaction - Wells Fargo will transfer $1 per transaction (I use this), and I believe there is a bank that will round every transaction up to the next whole dollar and put the change in savings (Bank or America, maybe?). You could also set up an account with a very small auto transfer every week - $5/week will add up for $260 over a year, plus interest. If you are flexible with travel dates and catch a good sale, that could be enough for air fare from ATL to PDX or SFO.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,596 posts, read 57,546,778 times
I always travel budget wise (even on company dime)_

Have been traveling since age 9 ~ 1960's (often solo then and now) Currently travel about 50% of the time, as in right now, enjoying Christmas season in a special place,

Eat via Grocery Store produce section. early in AM, they cull the bruised and outdated stuff (often free)

We have been stay here for 25+ yrs $10/ night Worldwide (usually a free meal or two and all the GREAT local information + free rides)
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Portland is EZ and cheap and we also do SF often

Our recent stay in SFO was GREAT. next to Golden Gate park / Cliffe House and $10/night with an ocean view and a Swedish host!!! EXCELLENT.

in SF Often we stay at Ft Mason Hostel. FREE parking (but no car required... EZ BART / bus route from OAK (SWA hub) or SFO) EZ walk to Golden Gate, Marina District, Wharf...

SF and PDX have so much FREE stuff to do, you will be happy. Get a $10/day proceline car for PDX and enjoy the beautiful OR coast (1 hr), Mt Hood (1 Hr) Columbia Gorge (20 min)
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Book today, Sunday evening is a good time for bargains.

SWA is best for free bags and changes. Watch their Low Fare calender and specials (get a weekly email on bargains)

Frontier might be least expensive (" Bear Den Specials" = a $49 fare to ATL> DEN and a $29 fare from DEN to PDX or SFO) But... if you have to change... $99 and current fare!

I stick with SWA, and recently got 60,000 mile perk on credit card. I just booked some flights for under 6,000 miles each!

I usually fly United internationally, but spouse just did Germany for Christmas markets for very cheap ~$300 on Iceland Air.

Please travel a lot... I find it as cheap as staying home (but a lot more fun.) Get a job that pays for travel. Mine transferred our family to 4 international locations. I was an hourly grunt that LOVED to go!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:59 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,393,285 times
What sort of "bravery" do you think is required to travel to another American city alone?

Old 12-06-2015, 11:51 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,801,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
What sort of "bravery" do you think is required to travel to another American city alone?
Well if you travel to big cities, safety is an issue. You could end up being robbed or hurt in the wrong areas if you get lost. Plus it is kinda weird to eat out alone.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:08 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,341,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
Well if you travel to big cities, safety is an issue. You could end up being robbed or hurt in the wrong areas if you get lost. Plus it is kinda weird to eat out alone.
Huh? I travel alone all over the world, in places where they don't speak English. No bravery required.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:24 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,384,662 times
I've often traveled alone. In London for my noon meal, I went to Marks & Spencer to pick up a sandwich, then walked to a park to eat it. I knew where to buy the food from a travel book.

When saving for travel, once I put money away, it stays there. I don't give in and spend it.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,596 posts, read 57,546,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
.... I make $15 an hour. I am trying to cut back to save money for travel and other reasons. I am just wanting to hear from those of you who weren't making alot of money but were still able to do a fair amount of traveling far away from home. ....
BTW: my 1970 wages equate to $6.22/ hr in 2015 dollars.
My rent was equivalent of $1200/ month in 2015 dough
Airfare was MUCH higher in 1970's than I pay today in same dollar value!!! (like 5-10x more in 1970's)

I worked 3 jobs, and kept traveling! I always preferred to work nights (40 yrs). more money, less hassle, more time to travel. (can leave for trip in early AM after work and get home right before work (one + extra days / trip).

3- 4 day work weeks are GREAT to flip schedule and get 4 -6 day weekends, get a firefighter / pilot job! (If you can't get a traveling job (ez to find).

Old 12-06-2015, 01:58 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,507,580 times
Just don't go out for a few weeks and you'll save literally hundreds of dollars in a couple of months. Eat very simply. Lentils, rice, and potato curries, cheap local produce, etc.

Hitchhike across the country if you have the time. It's not that scary, honestly.

I travel alone for a few months per year. I live with my parents but I think you'll manage a one-off regional trip making $15/hour. I prefer to travel alone because then I don't have to compromise my wants for another person. Are you male or female?

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel