Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 02:46 PM

678 posts, read 697,730 times

Advertisements

5 Reasons Airbnb Is Better Than a Hotel | Have Tips, Will Travel

In my experience yes.
1. no long lines
2. more space
3. better amenities
4. people,atmosphere. etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 05:21 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
I've had mostly good experiences with airbnb, maybe a dozen stays in all. That said, there are times when I prefer hotels and there are plenty of times and places where airbnbs are not available.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:24 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I've never used airbnb (the one time I had signed up for the service, the owner canceled on me at the last minute, which left a bad impression), but this is mainly because I almost always find better rates at a hotel/serviced apartment.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:44 AM

350 posts, read 477,589 times
I've used AirBNB a handful of times and enjoyed every one of the experiences. I also use local motels for other types of stays. There is a place for each one. AirBNB is made up of LOTS of individuals, not chains. Letting one bad experience put you off of the whole site is kind of shortsighted.

My daughter did her entire two week vacation in Germany through these kind of bookings with great results.

Currently, I have some seasonal cabins listed on AirBNB and get guests that probably wouldn't have been able to find me otherwise. Have a friend who exclusively lists her rural cottage getaway through them and keeps it booked most of the time.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:44 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Ive had good experiences with AB&B. For stays of about a week or so, there is something nice about coming home to a 'real' home/apt. The only thing that was sort of a bother, but I say that minimally, was that a hotel room you can leave semi-trashed and that is expected, with AB&B homes, you want to leave the home the way they were when you got there, so you have to figure some clean time in before you leave. Depending on your schedule, that might be a negative. Another issue we just had with one was, the condo by-laws specifically forbade AB&B type usage, so when we got there, a note on the table gave us instructions on what to say to nosey neighbors. That was a little disconcerting. If you do it, there is sort of an unwritten policy that you leave a real nice little card or something

Old 12-13-2015, 07:11 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
I like them too, or just independent B&B websites. Hotels are very impersonal and I can't stand the ugly decor. Plus I don't want to even think about how many people have slept on those sheets I'm sleeping on, and I'm not usually a germophobe. At a B&B, you also usually get a lot more space and privacy for the same amount of $$$, but I don't stay at the B&Bs as much as individual apartments or cottages where the owner is not on-site. I'm not fond of having to pay a "cleaning fee" though. Why should I pay for them to clean their own house? That's part of being a rental home owner, IMO. It's a turn-off, but the B&B advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:27 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Never used it. Is it safe? Does the host stay in the house or j get the place to myself

Old 12-13-2015, 08:57 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Never used it. Is it safe? Does the host stay in the house or j get the place to myself
If you mean is the process safe, yeah, its as safe as anything else over the internet. There is sort of a screening process, escrow, you talk to the owner beforehand. After that, just research the neighborhood where the house is located to see if you would be comfortable with the area. We have always gotten the house to ourselves. One time, the owner asked if we would mind taking care of the cat, which as a KraZy KaT PeRs0n was totally fine with me, I loved that cat!! I would suggest just ask a lot of questions of the owner right up front, if you wanted to try it.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
I prefer to use VRBO or Homeaway to rent a condo/home while traveling. You have all the luxuries of home without being cooped up in a box with hundreds of other people. I have never tried Airbnb, but suspect it is the same principle.

`

Old 12-13-2015, 09:07 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
Has anyone had this issue before?

Racial bias in everything: Airbnb edition
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...irbnb-edition/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel