Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2015, 04:31 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered something. When I price vacation packages of flights and hotels, I have to say how many people. Of course a charge per person makes sense for the flight, but when some of the party are kids and sleeping in one room with you/parents, it seems like you're paying a high per charge for them when if you just booked a hotel seperately you'd just pay for the one room and it nearly always comes out cheaper that way. Are there packages to Europe in particular that do really save you money, even though you're paying per person?/per kid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 10:44 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
You're not, at least in my experience, being charged "per person".. That's just a marketing ploy because if you search site A and it comes back $500 per person for 2 people, and site B shows $950.. your mind thinks site A has the cheaper price. It shouldn't take long for you to figure it out, but.. then again, there's people who aren't all that good at basic math.

Now, they DO need to know the number of people.. Because some hotels charge a higher rate for 4 people in a room vs 2. Or, they have to show you different room options if you have over X number of people.

But, the actual price breakdown.. To me, that's just a gimmick.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
Usually, don't they advertise the rates as "per person, double occupancy"? So it looks cheap at first glance, but if two people are going, you have to double the price. Or, if you're going alone, you have to pay a "single supplement."

Sometimes a package deal can be a bargain, but sometimes you're better off making your own arrangements.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times
It really depends on what kind of package. If it's some sort of guided tour or all-inclusive resort based on double occupancy with a single supplement, then yes you are going to pay more if you fall outside the standard "2 to a room" configuration. But most packages I tend to see give a per-person price based on the configuration you need. For example, if airfare was $500 per person and a room that could sleep up to 2 adults and 2 children was $800, it would spit out a per-person rate of $700 per person for a family of 4, $766 per person for a family of 3, and $900 per person with 2 travelers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel