Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 09:19 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,882 times

Advertisements

My wife and I took an unplanned trip this week from Illinois to California with our twins, who are 3. We've done all the major east-west interstates (I-40, I-70, I-80) to traverse the country, and this time, we decided to change it up a bit and use US highways since we had some extra time. What we discovered was that many of the US highways were lightly traveled, had 4-lanes, and speed limits that allowed us to move quickly. While not as fast of travel as the freeways, we still moved along and had a great time.

I discovered a great stretch of US highway that I was completely not expecting: US-82 in New Mexico, from Artesia to Alamogordo. What an amazing drive! It took us through the Sacramento Mountains and to the small village of Cloudcroft at the summit, before the descent into Alamogordo. I enjoyed this drive so much that it is my new favorite stretch of US highway in the US.

What is yours? Please reply with your favorite stretch of US Highway (no interstates, state highways, etc. please). I would love to discover and learn about your favorite roads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 10:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Had a job where my commute went on US 98 between Destin and Fort Walton Beach, FL and driving that bit of road would be the best part of my day by far. The Air Force owns most of the land between the two small cities, and except for a few small park areas and the Coast Guard station, it's a really nice stretch of essentially undeveloped barrier island with sand dunes that are slowly coming back since the hurricanes of 04-05.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:29 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
US 89 from the Canadian border to East Glacier MT

US 2 from East Glacier to Spokane WA

US 89 from Provo, UT to Flagstaff , AZ

US 16/16A from Gillette, WY to Rapid City, SD

US 83 from North Platte, NE to Liberal, KS to get a sense of how truly massive the Great Plains are.

US 550 from just north of Albuquerque to Silverton, CO

US 180 from Grand Canyon Village to Deming, NM

And one of the ultimate motorcycle roads, US 212 from Billings, MT to Mammoth Hot Springs, WY

One bonus in the Natchez Trace from Nashville, TN to Natchez, MS. The road is a National Park.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:06 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Oregon Coast Highway (US 101) from Bandon, OR to Lincoln City, OR...
US 52 from Savanna, IL to Dubuque, IA....
US 20 from Elizabeth, IL to Dubuque, IA...

The side roads are where it is at...All of my really fun and or beautiful routes aren't US Highways so I won't list them, but I always look for backways because you never know what gems you might find off the beaten (well, main) path.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:09 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
California Hwy 1-Haven't driven the entire route but I have covered most of it. The scenery is spectacular practically the entire way.

US 93 Wickenburg, Arizona to Las Vegas, Nevada-Mountains and "forests" of Saguaros.

US-17/US-A1A Charleston, South Carolina to Key West, Florida-A lot of history and plenty of beaches to stop at.

Taconic Parkway-Westchester County to Dutchess County-Spectacular route in the Hudson Valley. Gorgeous in the Fall.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post

I discovered a great stretch of US highway that I was completely not expecting: US-82 in New Mexico, from Artesia to Alamogordo. What an amazing drive! It took us through the Sacramento Mountains and to the small village of Cloudcroft at the summit, before the descent into Alamogordo. I enjoyed this drive so much that it is my new favorite stretch of US highway in the US.
Bill Mauldin, the political cartoonist who drew Joe and Willie during WWII and won the Pulitzer Prize, wrote about about growing up in Cloudcroft/Mountain Park in his book A Sort of a Saga. If you see it in a used bookstore or flea market..... buy it. It is a wonderful book. (He's one of my favorite people ever and I'm prejudiced as heck but..... if you love that area.... you have to read Bill's book.)

Old 01-02-2016, 08:43 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post

Once while driving from Colorado to Arizona I found myself on the same stretch of highway. (I tend to take lots of side trips when simply just trying to get from point A to point B). It is a very nice drive.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
I’ve always liked the Blue Ridge Parkway from Front Royal to Roanoke Virginia. What a beautiful view along the way and things to visit. Another route is the US-550 north out of Durango CO to Ouray with the winding road and elevations overlooking the Animas River at times. The other route I’ve enjoyed was US-34 from Estes Park to Granby CO. All of these are breath taking to say the least.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:17 AM

123 posts, read 175,436 times
US 101 from San Francisco, CA to Eureka, CA - Redwoods, mountains, rivers, fog, and small towns
US 60 from Phoenix, AZ to Show Low, AZ - a route through spectacular desert landscape to the mountains
US 191 from I-10 in Arizona to Yellowstone in Wyoming - gorgeous, diverse, remote, and flat out beautiful along the entire route.

I know its not a US highway but Arizona SR 89/89a from Prescott to Jacob Lake through Sedona and Flagstaff is one of the most spectacular routes in the country. Wouldn't miss it. Strikingly gorgeous country.

Last edited by sloguy1496; 01-04-2016 at 12:27 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 01:37 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
It would take too long to figure out which roads are US highways or state highways or whatever LOL. I'm kind of afraid to answer your question, and yet I can't resist. And I have no shame about my ignorance :-)

I live on Hwy 101 in CA and never realized it was a US highway.

What's the definition? One that travels over more than one state? I always called those "interstate highways." Or I-this or I-that.

If so, without having to Google it, Interstate 5 (I-5) from Grants Pass, OR to Redding CA is one of my favorite major interstate highway stretches, as you can see Lake Shasta, Mount Shasta and Mount Lassen. When there's snow on them (and preferably not also on the highway) it's breathtakingly beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel