Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 09:50 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times

Advertisements

My brother has gifted me a trip to anywhere in the world of my choosing and I'm having a hard time deciding on where to go.

I'm an American, and reasonably well traveled, so, because I know he can afford it, I'd like to really take full advantage and pick somewhere unusual.

I'm pretty open to anywhere. My two first choices have been ruled out:

First choice was Yemen, and although I have a decent tolerance for risk the fact they're basically in a state of civil war pretty much rules that out.

Second choice was Iran, but the recent budget bill apparently included a section requiring additional visa checks for people who have been to Iran, and that might require European nations to reciprocate, which would eliminate our visa waiver status if we went to Iran and neither my brother nor I would like to forego our visa waiver status.

So, I'm looking for suggestions that are unusual destinations for Americans and are either interesting historic sites, interesting nature sites, or interesting for some other reason. We're both seasoned travelers. I want it to be somewhere I haven't already been, and outside the US, so the international places I've been are Paris, London, Lyon, Geneva, Stockholm, Oslo, Bergen, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Moscow, Khabarovsk, Irkutsk, Novosibirsk, Barcelona, Madrid, Panama, Toronto, Andorra, Istanbul, Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing, and the Yucatan in Mexico, My brother has also been to Italy, India, the Seychelles, Copenhagen, Peru, Korea, Hong Kong, Australia and Costa Rica, so ideally not those places, either.

He speaks Spanish. I speak a smidgen of Russian and Mandarin. But we're both fine being places where we don't speak the language.

I'm having a hard time making a decision.

To give you an idea, other places I've considered (I haven't ruled them out, so feel free to give me endorsements for them):
Egypt
Jordan
North Korea
Sudan
Namibia
Berlin
Morocco
Madagascar
Bhutan
More of Turkey outside of Istanbul
Turkmenistan
Any of the *stan countries
Some other part of China
(basically parts of the ancient Silk Road)
Some other part of Russia
Algeria
Tunisia
Argentina
Chile
and/or a road trip between Argentina and Chile
Bali (we have a cousin there)
Tokyo and/or Osaka
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 11:31 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Dutch Harbor, AK

Old 01-02-2016, 11:58 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
The Republic of Nauru.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:23 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Israel!

Old 01-03-2016, 07:29 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Cape Town, South Africa with a side trip to the Eastern Cape for safari (malaria free zone ).

Old 01-03-2016, 07:43 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
You could add on a cruise to Antarctica to a Chile/Argentina route.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:40 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Morocco might be interesting. Or, how about Mongolia?

Old 01-03-2016, 10:16 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times
How long do you have and do you have any time-of-year limitations?

For me, given your joint BTDT places, I'd do a road trip around South Africa. SA offers astonishing climate, geography, and cultural diversity, breathtaking beauty, and it's very affordable but with very high standards of facilities and infrastructure.

I'd start in the north (around Kruger NP) in late August or early September (dry season, no bugs) and work south to end in the Western Cape.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:29 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You could add on a cruise to Antarctica to a Chile/Argentina route.
Second this - how about Patagonia to Anartica? That's a trip of a lifetime. From what I've read, you get what you pay for and since the boats have to be equipped specifically for icy conditions it's not cheap. I'm not suggesting you gouge your brother - only that this trip isn't typically affordable for a lot of people so it may be a good opportunity if you're actually interested in seeing it.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:02 PM

23 posts, read 27,498 times
I have been to over forty countries and no where I have been compares to India for intellectual and cultural stimulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel