Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 08:08 PM

619 posts, read 575,367 times

Advertisements

You'll be fine. NYC is great. Yeah, it's hot in the summer and the subway is hot and muggy but everything else is air conditioned. Also with a large group, you may actually do better by taking cabs Rather than subway.

There are plenty of free or inexpensive things to do in NYC. Most of the museums have free days- Google it. Sign up for the radio city experience (I think it's free). There are free walking tours of the city given by local volunteers. The Nintendo store is awesome (if the kids are into that). The toys r us in times Square has a ferris wheel in the store. There is a cool carousel in central park. Be aware that it's very easy to spend too much money at the m&m store in time's square and note that the rides in coney island - you pay per ride and it really adds up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 11:26 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
You'll be fine. NYC is great. Yeah, it's hot in the summer and the subway is hot and muggy but everything else is air conditioned. Also with a large group, you may actually do better by taking cabs Rather than subway.

There are plenty of free or inexpensive things to do in NYC. Most of the museums have free days- Google it. Sign up for the radio city experience (I think it's free). There are free walking tours of the city given by local volunteers. The Nintendo store is awesome (if the kids are into that). The toys r us in times Square has a ferris wheel in the store. There is a cool carousel in central park. Be aware that it's very easy to spend too much money at the m&m store in time's square and note that the rides in coney island - you pay per ride and it really adds up.
Thanks! I'll definitely take all these things into consideration.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:28 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post

The Toys R Us in Times Square is closed now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/ny...uare.html?_r=0

Old 01-17-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
The Toys R Us in Times Square is closed now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/ny...uare.html?_r=0
Wow that's a bet of a let down, I was sure that would be one of the highlights for my nephew and nieces. Aslong as the Lego store and Nintendo World are not closed they should be fine.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:24 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The rental houses we looked at in Brooklyn and Queens has a longer commute into Manhattan. I got the impression that it would be less of a hassle coming from Jersey City into the city. And we'll actually be visiting NYC in July. The summer time is the only time me and my family all can get together and take vacations. Even though we don't walk as much in Texas I think we'll be just fine walking in the dead of summer in New York. I heard on average it can get up to the mid 80's. In Texas if you're in the 80's that's a good day. Plus in Houston the humidity is 10 times worst. I think all of us being born and raised Texans use to being out in 100 plus weather we'll be fine. Plus we'll be indoors during the day time for the most part so I believe we should be fine.
This is of course your choice but most people who can, try to escape NYC in July and August. You will be lucky if the temperature will be in the 80th; more often than not it is in the 90th with high humidity. Not may people can walk outside during the day in these conditions. You can spend most of the day inside in the buildings with AC. But you would be really missing out on what makes NYC unique in the US. And that is walking outside, enjoying the surroundings and checking out other people. You might be able to enjoy the parks that much. My favorite are the HighLine park and the park next to East River on the lower East side. I suggest you then try Staten Island ferry, Circle Line tours and other activities on the water. Have a great time.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
This is of course your choice but most people who can, try to escape NYC in July and August. You will be lucky if the temperature will be in the 80th; more often than not it is in the 90th with high humidity. Not may people can walk outside during the day in these conditions. You can spend most of the day inside in the buildings with AC. But you would be really missing out on what makes NYC unique in the US. And that is walking outside, enjoying the surroundings and checking out other people. You might be able to enjoy the parks that much. My favorite are the HighLine park and the park next to East River on the lower East side. I suggest you then try Staten Island ferry, Circle Line tours and other activities on the water. Have a great time.
I hear alot of New Yorkers who move to Houston complain alot and I MEAN ALOT about the humidity in Houston. Living in Houston and actually having to work in the heat in the middle of summer I think were all use to the heat and humidity. I believe Houston is the 3rd most humid major city in the United States. We'll be in and out of museums,stores,attractions for the most part. If alot of people are escaping NYC for the summer time sounds like it could work in our favor so some of my family members won't be overwhelmed by the abundance of people walking in the city. And thanks for the suggestions, water activities in summertime New York sounds like fun!

Old 01-19-2016, 09:07 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I hear alot of New Yorkers who move to Houston complain alot and I MEAN ALOT about the humidity in Houston. Living in Houston and actually having to work in the heat in the middle of summer I think were all use to the heat and humidity. I believe Houston is the 3rd most humid major city in the United States. We'll be in and out of museums,stores,attractions for the most part. If alot of people are escaping NYC for the summer time sounds like it could work in our favor so some of my family members won't be overwhelmed by the abundance of people walking in the city. And thanks for the suggestions, water activities in summertime New York sounds like fun!
There will be an abundance of people in NYC always. There really isn't any time of year where there are less people, IMO. Manhattan has a couple million residents and the population nearly doubles with the Mon-Fri commuters, not to mention visitors.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
There will be an abundance of people in NYC always. There really isn't any time of year where there are less people, IMO. Manhattan has a couple million residents and the population nearly doubles with the Mon-Fri commuters, not to mention visitors.
Yeah I'm aware of that, I mean at the end of the day it is New York. But I thank everyone for their input. I can't wait to visit the Big Apple in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel