Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:15 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

The usual tourist thing is Rome, Florence, Venice using the train. You'd want 10 days to couple of weeks to do that. I don't recommend Venice in August. It would be a cesspool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 10:33 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
A few points of recommendation and advice:
-August indeed will be the high season - prices high, crowded, and hot. All of Europe will be on vacation.
-If you have only a week or ten days I would stick to one area of Italy. i.e. skip Venice and stick to Florence, Rome, Amalfi coast, maybe a bit more in Tuscany. There is enough to see. Heck I can spend 10 days simply exploring Tuscany.
-Naples - in my opinion it's "the armpit" of Italy. Dirty, smelly, crime-ridden, and just a sad place. Avoid except to take the train through on your way to Amalfi and Pompeii.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:11 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Regardless of what big tourist cities you choose, stay a couple days in a small hill town in Umbria (preferred) or Tuscany. Maybe Assisi or the historical part of Perugia, Orvieto, maybe Siena. Walk the streets, try the local food and wine, visit the cafes, eat gelato.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:42 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatjourneys View Post
Please tell me which cities in Italy do you like the most? I'm planning to visit Italy in August 2016.
Whatever you do, don't miss Venice! It is absolutely my favorite city in the world!

Old 01-13-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I absolutely love Venice and Florence, but having spent 10 days in Rome over the course of two different trips, I am not a big Rome fan. Amazing history and tourist attractions for sure, but it can be so busy, congested and intense, even in the shoulder season. That said, I'm glad that I have visited to see iconic places like the Colosseum and Vatican, but I'm not going back and have much fonder memories of Venice and Florence.
I am with you 100%. I have been to Rome twice and, while the Vatican City had a lot to offer, I was pretty much unimpressed with the city overall. That said, if I'd never been to Rome, I can't imagine that anybody on the internet would be able to convince me not to go.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The usual tourist thing is Rome, Florence, Venice using the train. You'd want 10 days to couple of weeks to do that. I don't recommend Venice in August. It would be a cesspool.
My first visit to Venice was in August, and that's when I fell in love with the city. We were there on the evening of an annual festival (I believe it might have been Ferragosto). The fireworks display over the Grand Canal was the most spectacular one I've ever seen in my life.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:04 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatjourneys View Post
Please tell me which cities in Italy do you like the most? I'm planning to visit Italy in August 2016.
I personally like

Naples - Its a real upfront city. Some stuff to see and its close to the Amalfi coast. Really good pizza and good food in general. They make a lot of buffalo mozzarella in this area and the wines are good. The people here tend to be more open and willing to talk to you. Although I think the people of Italy overall are pretty friendly and open.

Rome - You can't pass up the history, the art, and the vatican.

Florence - Art, architecture and food.

least favorite

Venice - swamped with tourists. smelly. hot. not much to see do. overated. August is one of the worst times to visit it.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:18 PM

987 posts, read 1,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My first visit to Venice was in August, and that's when I fell in love with the city. We were there on the evening of an annual festival (I believe it might have been Ferragosto). The fireworks display over the Grand Canal was the most spectacular one I've ever seen in my life.
I'm with you 100% as well. My wife and I honeymooned in Venice in August 2004 and we absolutely loved the city. Yes it was crowded and touristy, but it certainly wasn't smelly or dirty and we loved it.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:31 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Any way you can move forward to May/June or back to September? Better weather and not peak season.

Bologna: Great food, nice, walkable city with all of its sidewalks covered by porticos (providing nice shade for August).

Assisi: seconded.

Positano: Amalfi coast relaxiation & hillside town (likely immensely busy in August).

Old 01-21-2016, 02:14 AM

32 posts, read 18,636 times
I always like the following top spots in Italy, This is my wishlist travel destination.

You can also consider those places for your vacation.

1. Rome
2. Tuscany
3. Venice
4. Verona
5. Amalfi Coast
6. Milan
7. Cinque Terre
8. Assisi
9. Capri
10. Florence

Thanks
Mathavan K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel