Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

This is just surreal!

I'm thinking of booking a vacation package in Riviera Maya, Mexico, in November and even though that's the tail end of the hurricane season and historically no hurricane has hit in November, it still bothers me a little bit, and I've been researching policies and other people's experiences. I don't have an experience with this because I don't normally go anywhere during the hurricane season. This year I missed the end of May, so I decided to go in November hoping the water is not going to be too cold yet. Even though winter is considered high season (and hurricane-proof) I don't want to go then because I'm afraid the sea won't be warm enough for me.

Even though I'm not very keen on paying for insurance, I considered that, too. It became quite clear after reading various sources that all of them are quite worthless, even the "cancel for any reason" ones.

Then I attempted to find out how exactly the major online booking sites deal with the problem. Turns out the airfare part is more cut-and-dry - if you're lucky (depending on the airline's policies) you get a refund (this solution is most likely rarer); if you're not so lucky - you get credit. The hotel portion seems to be a stickier subject. It seems like normally you'd be OK if you cancel the package up to 3 days in advance. However, a hurricane warning may very well be issued in the last 3 days. Also, a hurricane might've hit a little earlier and the whole area and/or the hotel could be destroyed.

First I called Orbitz. Their customer service representative was testy and rude (after I mentioned Expedia's "hurricane guarantee"), but at least I could understand her, which is a huge success! She was talking the whole time in terms of "some" hotels do this and that and "some" will not refund your money... How do you know which hotels are the "some" hotels? You don't! She gave me the number of a hotel I'm considering. What did they tell me? Everything depends... I was "assured" the hotel is capable of keeping the guests on the property, so being held hostage in, let's say, boarded rooms and destroyed resort is obviously not a reason for any refund. In other words, if you can fly, then you either have the above mentioned "vacation" or you lose your money. It wasn't quite clear what they do even if you can't fly. She also said the way they deal with these situations depends on the individual contract they have with each travel agency as well. Sure enough she didn't have copies of any of these contracts and we're talking about a major player here (Orbitz), so you'd think they know about those. And it's not like hurricanes are something unusual in the region.

Then I decided to call Expedia as they brag about some sort of a "hurricane guarantee." Evidently that means absolutely nothing. I was advised to buy insurance if I'm concerned. The rest of the babble I couldn't even understand. They outsource their customer service God knows where... I read about a woman who told the rep twice she did NOT want to cancel the reservation and yet received an e-mail half an hour later it was canceled. Apparently even a simple "no" is hard to get across.

Since it's quite obvious we're living in a world where we're viewed by all businesses as personal ATMs and we have no rights whatsoever, pretty much the only choice left is to at least pay the least and hope for the best because you're screwed should something happen no matter what you do to prevent it beforehand.

Have any of you had to deal with problems regarding hurricanes? What was the outcome? Would you recommend something?

I'd appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:32 AM

Wow, nobody here has had such experience...?! One lucky bunch of peeps!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 PM

228 posts, read 1,001,012 times
This is exactly why I dont usually cruise during hurricane season...you just never know. That being said, I have cruised in Sept once and Nov once. I cruise from Galveston to the Riviera Maya area, so I dont have to fly, but friends that do, buy insurance. I know the airlines will stay on top of the weather, just as a cruise ship will, and not put their mega millions in harms way. If you choose one of the larger resorts, you would probably be fine, and as time gets closer, they track those storms weeks in advance. Just watch the wave development, and cancel your hotel if it sounds like it might cause you a problem. I think you will be fine though...as far as the water temps, I dont think you will have any cold water. I usually go in Feb, and the weather is wonderful! But, I dont really go to be in the water!! The big hotels will be the ones the media covers, so they will do everything to keep you safe...enjoy your vacation! Oh yeah, I have used Access America for insurance, but never had to use it... A trip interrupted policy should cover everything...Dot

Old 07-22-2009, 01:20 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
OK didn't want to answer until I got the facts.. My friends were is in Yucatan (sp) a couple of years ago in Oct during that bad hurricane. They were on Cozumel island - blank at the moment for spelling. A cruise ship showed up took them inland they stayed days in a office basically sleeping on the ground many people in room,showered in the rain, no bathroom, no food given but what you brought. For three days I believe. Again this is a person that any vacation that is far and few between gets hurt or heli out of situations.. I will never go on vacation with him....

He was offered a new trip for free, never wants to go back, given a quarter off price - they were there one day of a week and given 1/4 of $$ back........... no insurance .

Then again my mother went during hurricane season to get married. I asked here not to. She was on a cruise they moved the boat around hurricane and was fine.

Know this doesn't answer your question.... seems to me to be it is up to them to decide how to handle it. It seems to be up to hotel ... and as far as the people who you talk two on those lines I believe India... I have found it to be cheaper and better realations period to deal with Hotel/ Resort when doing this personallly vrs any service.

I have been in Mexico end of Hurricane begining of Dec and the water clearness is kinda murkey not clear.. Can say that for sure! Good luck and good adventures in what you decide!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Well the one thing to keep you from being stressed is don't go during hurricane season...lol That said try CheapCaribbean.com and I always purchase insurance.

We were booked for Cabo when the big swine flu Mexico scare happened...My DIL & son canceled, they bought insurance and received all of their money less $500 back. Had they not the most they would of gotten is switched to another place or a credit

Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
14. What does my Trip Mate Insurance policy cover?
Trip Mate has 3 different insurance policies.
We include Hurricane and Weather insurance complimentary on all bookings. This provides coverage if your flight has been cancelled by the airline or if your resort is not accepting reservations due to weather.
There are 2 programs available for purchase. The first, and the one we highly recommend utilizing, is the enhanced insurance plan that offers a "cancel for any reason" clause as well as the standard insurance coverage's.
The third and final option is the standard insurance policy. This covers you for injury, illness, bereavement etc.
For full details on any of the three plans please visit us here.
Cheap Caribbean | Frequently Asked Questions about CheapCaribbean.com Travel
Cheap Caribbean

Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Thank you, guys, for sharing.

The problem is the hurricane season in these destinations lasts officially almost all year long and I don’t believe it’s warm enough for me during the safe months. I'm from Tucson, ya know. I went to Cancun and then another time to Riviera Maya (Akumal) in the end of May both times, figuring it’s still not hurricane season and it’s warm enough. In ’07 in Akumal the sea water wasn’t uncomfortable, but it could’ve been warmer… That’s why it seems like May and November are the only months for me and I missed May.

It’s easier with cruising. I read they just change their routes and ports of call and go around the hurricanes.

I also read about cheapcaribbean offering this insurance and looked into it. Some people are happy with them, but there are quite a few horror stories as well. Granted, that’s the case with most products and services. I haven’t used them before, though, and wouldn’t dare.

Funny story about that jinx guy! Even though some day I may want to check out Cozumel as well, I wouldn’t do it during hurricane season ever. Being an island makes it more susceptible to more problems should something happen.

I haven’t made up my mind yet, but so far I’ve been looking into Catalonia properties. They’re owned by a Spanish company and might be more difficult to deal with should a problem arise. A couple of them are on beautiful beaches.

The other day I was looking into Puerto Vallarta again… It’s a fun place and I love the jungle after the rainy season, but their beaches are really nothing to write home about… Yelapa has a great beach, but it’s only accessible via a water taxi. I was on a booze cruise to Yelapa out of PV and when we stopped there I saw the water taxis. I don’t think I wanna get into that thingie. Las Caletas is also absolutely gorgeous, but you can’t stay there. North of PV you already get huge waves. I can't swim and don't like that.

Looks like I’ll pick up something on Orbitz again (even though they pis*ed me off big time even before making a purchase!) and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel