Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 04:05 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I was also going to suggest Amsterdam.
If you are in Amsterdam, you are in Holland. There are cities in the USA that are bigger than the whole country. The Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam is great, the Rijksmuseum is a little stuffy but has masterpieces from the Middle Ages on, and Madurodam would be great for a kid. It's a miniature city. For adults, there are Saturday markets and other cities that are very convenient on the train. Leyden has a science museum with one of Van Leeuwenhoek's original microscopes. Be sure to have a shot of genevers (Dutch gin) at a local bar, it's a tradition, and tastes very different from English gin.

I could spend a week in Amsterdam and other nearby cities with no problem. However, Copenhagen with Tivoli are only a short commuter flight away. You could even take a ferry to England or Scotland.

I share the low opinion of Brussels. It's a city full of bureaucrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 05:15 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Again, I recommend Portugal. Great value, tons to see.
Not in July. Too hot.

If the trip must be in July, head north. How about the British Isles or Scandinavia?

Old 03-16-2016, 05:54 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Hi, I’m looking for suggestions for an extended family trip we are doing in mid-July to Europe (dates are fixed but countries are open).

Some details:

- We will have our 2 year old with us. A 5 year old will also be in the group.
- Would prefer somewhere that’s not crazy hot in July.
- Wife and I can only go for a week; rest of the group is going for 2 weeks.
- Ruling out Paris, London, Italy as we’ve been there. Rest of group may go there that 2nd week.
- Flying out of Atlanta so we have a lot of flight options. Cheapest non-stop I see is to Brussels. Madrid and Frankfurt also have reasonable flight prices for one-stop.

Since wife and I are only going for 1 week, rest of group is asking where we would want to go during our limited days. Any suggestions for possibly 2 nearby cities in a one week span?

Thanks!
Netherlands. Weather is pleasant in July . You can take a non stop to Brussels and take a train or bus to NL.

Amsterdam is very pretty and offers a relaxed atmosphere. Very walkable.

Hague is also small has 2 nice beaches. The tramways within the city are fun. You have ample public transport. You have a high end shopping area as well as a flea type and both are very good.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:49 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Wow that doesn't sound good.
What city would pair well with Amsterdam for a one week trip?
Perhaps, Copenhagen. The five year old might enjoy a trip to the amusement park at Tivoli Gardens. If you do go to Brussels, you can take a side trip to Bruges. Bruges is a city that has maintained many of its medieval buildings, canals, and charm. You've ruled out Paris and London, so I think those are your best bets.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:57 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,082 times
Amsterdam, good choice. Then there is Rotterdam, one of the biggest, as in bussiest harbors in the world. You van take a sight seeing tour on a boat, there is food and drinks.
Madurodam, outstanding for kids, it is the Netherlands in miniature with a ton of trains etc.
Go to the "country", Kinderdijk comes to mind, The famous wind mills, while everywhere, there are many right there.

A day at the beach is a nice option, the country is small, so the beach is always within an hour.
In Belgium, stay away from Brussels, traffic is a pain. Go see Brugge for example. Very old quaint town.
In Europe distances are short, but you are not alone....
What would be something to remember, a trip on the Rhine. Go on board on Koln, and go up stream, that is a one day trip, the views are outstanding and everybody will have a ball.
https://youtu.be/EqtBtMpoHM0

The K D line let you go on and off in many cities and small towns.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:33 PM

964 posts, read 994,010 times
City. One week. Cooler climate. Kid-friendly.

I suggest either Copenhagen, and north of there, the town of Helsingor, for a pleasant change from the big city, or alternatively, Oslo. I would check July weather history for all locations you're considering, because July can be rainy. July in the Swiss Alps, for example, is the beginning of the rainy season, usually, so neighboring regions could be similar. Southern Norway and sometimes Stockholm can also be rainy for at least part of the summer. Dryer areas: the Dalmatian coast, city of Dubrovnik. It will be warmer there, though.

Last edited by MountainHi; 03-16-2016 at 08:49 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 09:07 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Bruges, definitely.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:57 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
For everyone suggesting Copenhagen, which is a good choice, because of the five year old, how could you ignore Billund? Home to the original Lego factory and the first LEGOLAND resort?

Awesome awaits in LEGOLAND® Billund Resort

Old 03-17-2016, 09:37 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,053 times
Thanks for the tips all, very helpful.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:00 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,440 times
Munich or Barcelona. I've been there in summer and I don't think it's too hot (but then again, I live in Texas)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel