Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,796 times

Advertisements

Hi yall!

My family and I will be driving from Virginia to Maine and back this summer. I don't want to drive on the interstate a lot, I'd like to actually see things, small towns, etc, and are looking for places we should go to or through. We will not be going to Philly, NYC or Boston, those are destinations by themselves!

On our list so far :
Gettysburg
Site of Woodstock ( Bethel, NY)
Through Connecticut, near New Haven
Salem, MA
Portland, Maine
Stephen King's house ( Bangor, Maine)
Saratoga Springs
Burlington, VT
Keene and Manchester, NH

We'll be gone for about 15 days, and figure in 5 days for travel. Obviously, not all of these places can be for more than just a few hours.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 10:25 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Gettysburg you need all day. It's worth it to take a guided tour. They will explain the battle as they point out the sites where the different events occurred. I went as a teenager, and I loved it.

"Through Connecticut, near New Haven" made me seize up a little. Memories of sitting in traffic for hours on I-95 in the heat of summer coming back from Rhode Island gave me the Willies. Why do you want to go there?

By the way...Providence, Rhode Island is a good stop for Waterfire, but maybe out of your way this trip.

Salem would be fun, never there, but I'd like to go. Some pagan types find it too contrived and turn up their noses at what they see as commercialization of their practices, but I think it would be worth a shot to go.

Portland is a nice, small city. You can do cruises there for whale-watching. Nice little restaurants and shops. Maine is nice with a beautiful rocky coast.

But wait...why is New Jersey not on your list? At least stop along the Delaware after Gettysburg and see where Washington crossed on Christmas night, 1776, taking the Brits by surprise in Trenton the next day! You can see NJ from there, anyway. Not that Trenton is our best face, lol, but we do have the distinction of being called The Crossroads of the Revolution.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:38 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,796 times
I have an uncle outside New Haven, but he's going to meet us somewhere on the NY side so we don't have to deal with all the I-95 nightmares, lol.

I'd love to go into Rhode Island, just not sure if we'll have time, without having to deal with traffic troubles.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:12 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Harley-Davidson Factory tour in York, PA.

Amish country near Lancaster, PA. You can even have dinner and conversation with an Amish family in their house, by reserving with the Visitors Bureau.

Sesame Place theme park, in Langhorne, PA.

Crayola Crayon Factory tour in Easton, PA.

PEZ candy museum near Milford, CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel