Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times

Advertisements

I use the bedbug registry website to see if a hotel is listed - if it is, I don't book there (just be careful when doing the search - a hotel might be listed under a slightly different name variation than what you type in and might not pop up in your initial search - I search a few times using various terms just to make sure).

When we check in, we pull the beds apart and check under them and along every seam. We check behind wall hangings (when able - nowadays this things won't even pull away from the walls) and headboards.

We leave our suitcase in the bathtub and only remove it when showering.

So far, we've had no issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 07:52 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
1. Check the address on the Bedbug Registry - Bed Bug Registry.

2. Take a spray bottle of alcohol with you, and spray in the cracks, and around the door. If there any, they'll come out, and die - alcohol kills them.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:02 PM

61,727 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
1. Check the address on the Bedbug Registry - Bed Bug Registry.

2. Take a spray bottle of alcohol with you, and spray in the cracks, and around the door. If there any, they'll come out, and die - alcohol kills them.
1. Even if the website gets over 40,000 visitors and 100 new reports a day, and has more than 20,000 reports about 12,000 locations at last count (2010), you should not rely on it.
How can you be sure these reports are true? The bedbug reports submitted through this site, have not been vetted for accuracy. So, while some of them are true and some not, you would have absolutely no idea which, if any of them are true. Some travellers file reports, others are not , either because they don't know about the site or because they lack adequate motivation.
So your best bet is to check the links I posted above. Also check hotelchatter.com and tripadvisor.com.

2. In 2013, a Rutgers University research team tested several substances against bed bugs. They discovered that half the bed bugs sprayed with rubbing alcohol were still alive after four days, making this substance one of the least effective weapons against these insects.
Bed bug eggs take up to 14 days to hatch, so you need to spray infested surfaces every two to three days for two weeks to kill newly hatched insects.

Because you can never be 100% sure you were not exposed, consider taking some steps below to lessen your chance of infesting your home if you do happen to pick up a few hitchhikers.
You can use Packtite:
Bed bugs: use heat to kill them in your stuff with a Packtite
Use ziploc bags for smaller items:
Ziploc Double Zipper Big Bags
or for whole luggage while you are in the hotel
BugZip Bed Bug Resistant Luggage and Clothing Encasements for Home and Travel

Most of all, don’t stay home. The world is a beautiful place. You can get bedbugs without leaving your home if someone else’s home is attached. People can get bedbugs just from going to work, or going into someone’s house, or riding in a plane. So get out there and enjoy the world. But be careful out there.

Last edited by elnina; 04-18-2016 at 02:13 AM..

Old 04-18-2016, 04:12 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
"Some reports are posted by malicious tenants. Some are posted by evil competitors. Some are posted by hypochondriacs." From the FAQ section from the Bed Bug Registry site. LOL! Really.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:01 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When staying in a hotel it is a good idea to inspect your room for bed bugs as soon as you arrive. You don't want to unpack or settle in until you have checked to see if there are bed bugs in your room.
Put your luggage in the bathtub when you arrive. Then inspect your bed.
How? - read here:
Inspecting Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs - Let's Beat the Bed Bug!
https://membracid.wordpress.com/2008...-for-bed-bugs/ click on words in red for additional info and pictures
15 Tips for Avoiding Hotel Bedbugs | Fox News Magazine
http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/public...ers_online.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=tnOrYqKpmpI

Any suspicious marking or evidence of bugs should be enough to warrant a new room, and when it comes to a bedbug scare, hotel staff should be more than willing to oblige. Request that your new room be at least two floors away from the initial room, since chances are good that the bugs may spread via the wallboards or electrical sockets.

Happy travel!
^^^ Best answers ever!
I just inspect the bed by pulling back the bottom sheet at the corners and look for any evidence of them. However that's not always the best or only thing to do. The biggest thing I think is to avoid hotel/motels that are have poorly cleaned rooms. If the room isn't cleaned well then they probably don't care about bed bugs. If it's clean and neat your chances are better. Clean and neat doesn't mean new and improved however.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:15 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
I've been hit with bedbugs twice as far as I know. Once in Belgrade, Serbia, and the other time in Kathmandu, Nepal. In Nepal, I went into denial and slept with them for 10 nights. I only realized I was in huge trouble when I saw one crawl across my scarf so fattened by apparently my own blood one morning.

Basically, and as everyone has been saying, as soon as you are shown a room, lift the mattress off the platform and take a flashlight into the crevices of the bedpost and any other 'under-mattress' cracks you can find. You just might find some. It's a myth that they are too small to see, necessarily. Also, they have a 'smell' associated with them that is very hard to describe that is worth watching out for. Almost like blueberries left in the sun.

If you suspect you are sleeping with them after a night or two, when you wake up, inspect the sheets for small blueish-blackish stains. That's a squashed bedbug.

If you do start getting bites, bring all your material possessions of that room to a laundromat, wash them, and then (and in spite of whatever wash/dry steps you would normally put your clothes through) stick them in a drying machine on the highest heat possible. They can remain undisturbed in your luggage for a long time and then repopulate your home upon arrival.

I honestly don't think putting a tarp over the sheet will do anything to help you. Just be proactive and knowledgeable about how to look for them. And don't let it put you off from travelling. Bedbugs aren't associated with filth, they can exist anywhere under a variety of circumstances.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:26 AM

156 posts, read 440,867 times
Question Should People Worry About Bed Bugs in Hotels/Motels?

I have some relatives who will be traveling over the holiday and will end up having to stay in a motel/hotel. They estimate that they will have to spend one or two nights in different hotels on the way down, and one or two nights in different hotels on the way back. Should they be worried about bed bugs? I haven't mentioned anything to them because they're already stressed out. But knowing them, they're gonna have their stuff spread out all over the place in the hotel, especially if they have to spend part of the day there. One of them is in a wheelchair so that obviously has to be left on the floor. Do they need to check their mattress? Is checking that enough? There will be a total of four of them.

My guess would be that if I mention bed bugs they will either cancel their trip (someone may get mad at me) or they will choose not to inspect anything due to the hassle. They're really limited anyway because two of them are elderly and have very limited mobility. They opted not to travel by plane because they always get sick (flu, pneumonia) and end up in the hospital when flying.

I hate to be self-centered, but I'm worried about myself. If they bring home bed bugs, that puts me at risk of getting them. I've heard those things are a real pain in the butt to get rid of and costly too.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
there are more important things to worry about like if your relatives won't leave

Old 12-12-2018, 09:33 AM

155 posts, read 125,936 times
Yes, check for bed bugs.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:36 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times
I live in Las Vegas and we have a number of oddball conventions here. I was assigned to report on the bedbug exterminators convention a few years ago. I talked with one of the attendees and he said that on any given day, about 30% of hotel rooms are infected, so yes you do have to worry about bedbugs. You can go online and find out what to look for in rooms that are the telltales of bedbug infestation.

Here's a website I check out before booking rooms when I travel. It's not complete by any means, but it will give you a heads up on problem areas. Bed Bug Reports - Check Hotels and Apartments Before You Stay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel