Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:12 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times

Advertisements

If you had three unscheduled days in Costa Rica, what would you do? Would you consider a flight from San Jose to Panama City or somewhere else? Or, would you stay and explore Costa Rica more, hitting a different area or go back to already explored areas?

Background: surprise birthday trip for my husband....3 nights in Arenal Volcano/Rainforest area for jungle activities, 3 nights in Southern Guanacaste area for beach activities/diving, 1 night in San Jose...then I have 3 additional nights/days (Saturday, Sunday, Monday with our flight out of San Jose for Tuesday morning) with nothing booked. I left these days open so we could decide at that time where we wanted to go (since this is all a total surprise, with absolutely NO input from my husband!)...and we will have a rental car, if we decide to go elsewhere.

I've always wanted to see the Panama Canal so I thought about that, but I don't know that it would be a prudent use of our time.

Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 09:48 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
If it were me, I'd consider Tortugero and exploring the areas south of Limon.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:07 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
We took day tours from San Jose to various destinations.

One was on the narrow gauge railway down to sea level where we visited a banana plantation.

Another day we went up to the top of a volcano.

Saarchi was where we visited the ox cart factory.

There are things to see in San Jose, the former army base that is now a museum.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:37 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
We went to the Osa Peninsula. Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge. One of the single best travel experiences we've ever had (and we've travelled extensively). Getting there (to THIS lodge) was half the fun.

The Osa is an amazing place. Spectacular.

I'd also recommend using a good TA for this part of the trip. Pat Hewitt is US based, pretty much exclusively does CR arrangements for about 30 years, and is dead honest. The Osa is very remote and can be challenging for transportation arrangements; hence, my recommendation for TA (I rarely use them), and in this case, we saved money thru Pat. Osa Peninsula Costa Rica

Old 04-15-2016, 06:41 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Avoid San José which is rife with pickpockets (I had passport and wallet stolen there)

Old 04-15-2016, 05:50 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post

Background: surprise birthday trip for my husband....3 nights in Arenal Volcano/Rainforest area for jungle activities, 3 nights in Southern Guanacaste area for beach activities/diving, 1 night in San Jose...
My husband and I are going to Costa Rica next week for our 3rd trip in the past 7 years and we are splitting our time as you mentioned above- Central Valley/Arenal/Monteverde Cloud Forest and then Guanacaste. We are flying in/out of Liberia and renting a car and doing a lot of driving ourselves. My husband also lived there (in San Jose) for a semester abroad in college in the 90's, so I have always deferred to him on itineraries. I know on our first trip we spent only one night and full day in San Jose and were glad that was all.

We have also spent time in the Central Pacific-Manuel Antonio National Park area and are skipping it on this trip. I know that area is very popular and there's been a lot of development over the past decade or so, but my husband was very disappointed when we went there last in 2010 and lamented that it seems like all that development and $$ was not put back into improving the park itself. He said it looked the same as when he lived there in 1992. Again, though, that editorial aside, a lot of people love it there.

I have never been to the Caribbean side, Limon etc. My husband did not enjoy it that much when he lived there (granted, that was 25 years ago for him), so I have never visited.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 04-15-2016 at 06:00 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 12:29 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
My brother loves Costa Rica but he's a surfer.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:28 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Check out Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park on the Pacific Coast. Lots of wildlife and nice beaches. I'd give Jaco Beach a pass though.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:16 PM

99 posts, read 120,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
If it were me, I'd consider Tortugero and exploring the areas south of Limon.
I second this. I spent two nights in Tortuguero and enjoyed it immensely. I was there during turtle nesting season. I don't know where turtles are currently nesting, but if you get a chance to see that, definitely worth it.

I spent 5 days/4 nights between Arenal and Monteverde and didn't run out of things to do...

You only need one day for San Jose city - I recommend a walking tour and then hitting the gold/jade museums. Also a quick tour of the teatro nacional, absolutely beautiful!!

Unless you are flying between the cities (which I do recommend as pleasant experiences) please do factor in plenty of travel time. The country is the size of West Virginia, but it can take the better part of a day to cross it.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:41 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
You could go to Nicaragua for an overnight trip, which is easy to do from Guanacaste. You could also fly to Bocas Del Toro in Panama or Panama City. The canal is amazing, and we lived it. We stayed at the Gamboa resort, which is right on the canal's River. The lake in the middle of the canal is wonderful.

That being said, there is so much to do in CR. You will never run out of things to do. You could go to the Sarapiqui region and go rafting, although it's very rustic. Fun and wildlife filled, but very basic accommodations.

If you want upscale, you could stay at the Peace Lodge/La Paz Waterfall gardens. It's very expensive, but lovely. It's centrally located for easy excursions and it's not too far to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel