Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 07:46 PM

455 posts, read 283,455 times

Advertisements

Ive been using tripadvisor primarily for my search as I like the reviews from real people.

Ive saved about 20 hotels and have tracked the prices. Sites like hotels.com have warned me that prices are going up in my location, but when I see the updated prices today on trip advisor(which lists prices from 10 hotel booking sites), the prices are actually down a decent amount.

I'll be at the hotel 2 nights, next Friday and Saturday.

Do I wait midweek and see if prices continue to drop, or book now when the prices are lower?

Essentially the question is will the price go up closer to the 27th i get or will it continue to drop and just buy last minute.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:02 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
I have hotels booked for a March 2017 trip. I really like the rates that I was able to get at a good hotel nearby my preferred property.

If the rates of my preferred property drops, I will cancel the current reservation and book at my preferred property. If the rates at either property go up, I know that I will not be paying anymore than what I currently have booked.

For example, I booked a Las Vegas hotel for March 2016 in June 2015. My total rate was $60 per night. After I booked the rate, NASCAR announced a race at LV Speedway and the rates at the property was $200 per night. However, I had the lower rate.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:49 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
If it's a popular destination at this time of year, you've probably already waited too long to get the best rates. Generally, I find that the AAA rate on the hotel's own website to be the cheapest. Occasionally, lastminutetravel.com beats that price.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Fridays are 1/2 price using Agoda.com (signed on as a member)

Old 05-21-2016, 09:32 AM

455 posts, read 283,455 times
I actually ended up using priceline and they accepted my bid of 50 dollars per night.

The hotels I'm looking at are near where I live, so I honestly really didn't care which hotel, as long as it was a 2.5 star up.

This same hotel they chose for me was one I was looking at the other day that costs between 170-180.

Got it on priceline for 121 after taxes.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:27 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
I actually ended up using priceline and they accepted my bid of 50 dollars per night.

The hotels I'm looking at are near where I live, so I honestly really didn't care which hotel, as long as it was a 2.5 star up.

This same hotel they chose for me was one I was looking at the other day that costs between 170-180.

Got it on priceline for 121 after taxes.

I have used Priceline many times. Sometimes I bid and other times I use their Express Deals. With just a little effort you can tell which hotel you will be getting when using the Express Deals.

When using sites like Priceline keep in mind once there are no refunds and no changing dates. Also you might get stuck with additional fees from the hotel. Many hotels especially near airports often charge you to park. The same is true with most downtown hotels.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
When using sites like Priceline keep in mind once there are no refunds and no changing dates. Also you might get stuck with additional fees from the hotel. Many hotels especially near airports often charge you to park. The same is true with most downtown hotels.
In recent years on its Express Deals, Priceline has started to disclose exactly what charges you will pay at check-in for resort fees. They do not do this for parking.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:52 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,840 times
I have become a big believer in last minute deals. When I go on a road trip, I typically book 1 to 24 hours in advance, though I do some research quite a bit before departure to make sure I am not arriving during Major Sports Event or Major Concert.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:45 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In recent years on its Express Deals, Priceline has started to disclose exactly what charges you will pay at check-in for resort fees. They do not do this for parking.
I have seen on express deals where free parking is included. Thus if I don't see free parking I assume they charge to park. like you said how much it costs to park is not included in costs. However it is pretty easy figure out exactly which hotel is being used for the express deal. So I go directly to the hotels website to see how much they charge for parking. When using name your price there is no telling which hotel you might get. I have place a bid for a 2.5 star hotel and been given a 3.5 star hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel