Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:20 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times

Advertisements

I've been to Europe a few times as an adult, my husband has, too. My sister lived and went to school in Spain. My mother, father, sister and I traveled extensively throughout Europe when I was a teen. My best friend has been to Europe and several other close friends have also traveled to Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 01:07 PM

577 posts, read 663,479 times
I've been to 65+ countries, at last count. Most of my friends have been to at least a dozen countries.

I don't think it's about being able to afford the travel, but more about priorities. For me, travel is important. So, instead of spending money on dining, clothes, or bigger cars or house, I spend mine on travel. I have friends who make more money than me, but have never been outside the country. For them, other things are more important. I think it's a personal choice and is probably influenced by friends and family.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:29 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigW View Post
I've been to 65+ countries, at last count. Most of my friends have been to at least a dozen countries.

I don't think it's about being able to afford the travel, but more about priorities. For me, travel is important. So, instead of spending money on dining, clothes, or bigger cars or house, I spend mine on travel. I have friends who make more money than me, but have never been outside the country. For them, other things are more important. I think it's a personal choice and is probably influenced by friends and family.
I was nodding my head in the affirmative while reading this. I would take experiences while traveling over fancy cars, clothing... stuff... any day. The experiences are priceless. Stuff is just stuff.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:43 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
My grandparents were born there. My parents have never been. My siblings and I have all been multiple times, sometimes for pleasure, sometimes for work assignments.

Once when I stopped in to say good-bye to my parents before I left for a vacation in Greece, my Dad said to me, "What do you want to see all that old stuff for?" I replied, "Dad, wouldn't you like to go anywhere in Europe? Not even Ireland to see where your parents were from?" Dad's wisdom: "They left. They must have had a reason."

Old 05-28-2016, 03:34 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Yes, I've been to Europe and so have my parents and at least four of my six siblings; not sure about the other two. I find that most of the Americans who go to Europe are either young (college students), or childless couples, or retired. I myself went as a high school senior. But those who are currently raising families, like me and most of my social circle at this time, don't get to Europe very often. It's just too far (I'm on the West Coast) and too expensive to get there. Our vacations tend to be to US cities or national parks, Mexico, and Hawaii, just for practical reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigW View Post
It is definitely a personal choice and being more interested in "experiences" is not inherently superior to being interested in "things."

Old 05-28-2016, 04:11 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I haven't been to Europe, but most of my family and friends have been to various countries in Europe. For me, it's just not a high priority. I have traveled internationally (Australia, New Zealand, various countries in South America), but international travel is expensive and there are other parts of the world that I want to see, well, more badly than Europe.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:21 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
My siblings and I have all traveled to Europe. Although American by birth, my husband spent a good portion of his childhood living in England and traveled the continent widely with his parents. They continue to visit friends there every couple of years. My parents have never traveled to Europe for leisure, although my father went occasionally for business when I was growing up. I don't believe any of my grandparents did, but my g-grandparents traveled back and forth to visit extended family. Among my current social circle, it's pretty common for professional, education, and leisure travel.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-28-2016 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 04:27 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,184 times
There are many reasons for not traveling internationally:
-lack of money
-lack of vacation time (Europeans have far more vacation time than US people)
-flying internationally sucks (major reason we don't go)
-more interesting places to go than Europe
-stay-cations are more fun and less stress
-lack of interest in traveling anywhere at all
-fear of language barrier
-fear of the unknown

We've been to Europe twice (England and Italy) and while I'd like to see France and Spain before dying it's really not a burning hot issue for me. The United States have incredible national parks (filled with European and Asian tourists) and we've seen many that were far above our European visits in memories and visual sights.

My main reason for not going again is hatred of the long flights, difficulty getting processed through airport and jet lag.
I think people should go when they are young, wherever, Europe, South America, etc. See the world before settling down.

My best guess of my community is that 5 to15% have been to Europe and most don't give a damn about it.
I bet if you gave the average person $5,000 to take a trip anywhere they would be hard pressed to use the money. Either you love to travel or you don't. I love to travel in the US and would take the 5k and go to Yosemite and other CA parks we haven't done (done the big western national parks already and they were absolutely FABULOUS).

Old 05-28-2016, 05:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I have never been. My wife and kids have never been. My oldest brother lived in Germany for three years care of the United States Army. He traveled all over Europe. Had lots of people in the area that went years ago.

Reminded of a story I read of an elderly gentleman arriving in Paris by plane.

At the French Customs desk, the man took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry-on bag.

"You have been to France before, monsieur?" the customs officer asked, sarcastically.

The elderly gentleman admitted he had been to France previously.

"Then you should know enough to have your passport ready."

The elderly man tells the customs office, "The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."

"Impossible, Americans always have to show their passports on arrival to France!"

The elderly gentleman gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained. "Well, when I came ashore on D-Day in 1944 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find any Frenchmen to show it to!

Many of the people that I work with have gone. One of our Doctors took a year leave to travel with his family in Europe. A guy that I work with has taken his wife and each of their kids on a trip to Europe when the kids graduated from school. I would love to go but family has kept us from going. My wife and I figure when the kids are grown we will take the time to visit the world. Have been wanting to go to Poland as my moms family came from there. My great grand parents immigrated from Poland and ended up in Chicago.

We have yet to see most of our own country. I would love to travel all around the USA and Canada.
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Old 05-28-2016, 07:23 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
As a Canadian... I'd have to say that French-speaking Canadians are much more likely to vacation in Europe as a routine thing. Although, for both English-speakers and French-speakers, "going south" (to the Caribbean or anyplace else warm) is more of a priority. I blame our winters. Many Quebeckers have at least been to Paris, though. Other popular destinations: Italy, Spain, south of France. English-speaking Canadians are more likely to visit the UK or Ireland on a first trip to Europe, then Paris, Italy, and so on.

English-speaking Canadians with family ties to Europe are also much more likely to take repeated trips over. There are a lot of Canadians with parents or grandparents from Central, Eastern, or Southern Europe, for example. I've known people who've made several trips over to Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic (Czechia now?), Italy, Portugal, Germany, etc.

You have to realize that in North America, many people have family ties to places beyond Europe. Latin America, China, the Philippines, the Caribbean, even Africa... they're all destinations where someone might decide to go on vacation. Oh, plus all over the U.S. Europe's competing with a big world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel