Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 09:33 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times

Advertisements

The wording may seem strange on this, but I'm curious which cities in the USA you all think are worth visiting because of their attractions or other unique attributes. For example, New York City, Washington, DC, and Boston have a lot of history and seem like tourist destinations. I visited Detroit two years ago to see a friend and had a blast, but I'm guessing this is not a major tourist destination and I got asked why I went there (a question I abhor in regards to traveling, but that's a different story ). While I think any city has plenty to do sinc most have things like museums, zoos, and professional sports teams, I'm curious which U.S. cities you all have visited, or want to visit due to some more unique attributes that do not make them Anytown, USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 09:44 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Depending on the cost. For me, only New York City is worth flying from another continent to see. Is it worth spending $2000 to just see Boston or DC? No.

For a lower cost, yes for other cities as well. It is like American doesn't fly all the way to France to see Lyon or Italy to see Turin.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:50 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,079,128 times
Well, that is a big question, but I like it

I think that it depends not so much on the city but more on the mindset. There are so many unique places, and so many people with unique stories to tell that I could not list them all here.
But I will say, if you stop in any town USA with an eye towards the unique and an open mind for finding the most interesting things in a town, then you WILL find it. and sometimes in places that are not expected.

Getting off the beaten path is often the key.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:49 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
Sacramento is often overlooked, and that's a shame, especially if you're traveling to the Bay Area anyway. Sac has a world-class Capitol (which is officially a museum), MULTIPLE museums (Crocker Art, Towe Auto, Railroad Museum etc) plus Sutter's Fort, plus water sports on the rivers. Also terrific Mexican and Asian food.
And pro sports. I could go on.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:11 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
In terms of bang for your buck, it's really tough to beat DC. You could stay there for quite a while, and other than lodging, you could have a very cheap vacation with so many free/low cost museums, zoos, monuments, historical tours, etc.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:17 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,182 times
Maybe this isn't answering your question directly, but ...

I always flinch when I hear someone say "[city x] is [something derogatory]" after learning that they've never been there. Sure, it's easy to make fun of a place, especially when the bashing rhymes (Cleveland, "The Mistake by the Lake").

A few years back, maybe after reading something on C-D, I realized I was guilty of this baseless pre-judging (mostly cities, not states), and decided that in the future my comments would be more "evidence based." So every year I take a trip to a place that's not an obvious, top-tier destination (yeah, I realize even that sentence is a bit value-laden). I go to C-D and other sites, see what the attractions are, make a list of things to do & see, allow for serendipity, and travel Thursday -> Sunday.

Pluses:
you're never disappointed, because there always seem to be neighborhoods and attractions that'll surprise you (the "hey, I never would have thought ..." factor)
Their advertised attractions are often unique to the area (i.e., not yet another zoo). The Mill City museum in Minneapolis is a good example of this.
These cities are usually cheaper than the Top Tier once you get there (for hotels, restaurants, etc.)
The locals are almost uniformly friendly and willing to talk.

Minuses:
flights (from Philly) can be badly timed and/or more expensive than your expect.

Among recent trips: Cleveland, Twin Cities, Duluth (each was a great mix of the expected - Rock&Roll Hall of Fame, etc. - and unexpected - long talks with folks in neighborhood bars). On the list for future trips: Louisville, Detroit, Omaha.

Really, if you go into the trip with an open mind, a genuine interest in the city, and a loosely planned agenda you can't go wrong. And it doesn't sound odd to me (although it might to others) when I say "I had a wonderful long weekend in Cleveland" [in St Paul I was stopped by a state trooper - when he asked what I was doing there I told him about my annual trip and mentioned Cleveland. He smirked. I asked - very politely - "have you ever been there" "Well ..." and he trailed off].

Old 05-28-2016, 02:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
There are so many wonderful cities, much has to do with ones interests and yes, budget. We always think NYC, Boston, DC, L.A. etc. Like Eureka said,, don't overlook some wonderful cities like Sacramento. and don't overlook some of the nicest cities in the country, ones like Charleston. We have been lucky to have traveled to many of our greatest cities. I think my favorite probably is D.C. for sights and Charleston for charm and yes, places like Sac. especially if budget is an issue.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:52 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,562,293 times
Definitely include Charleston on your list. I've lived here for years and it still amazes me.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:52 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,375,189 times
Not quite in the US, Montreal and Quebec City can be enjoyable.

A "blast" is in the eye of the beholder and the circumstances of the visit also make a difference. I have done some interesting sightseeing while on business trips. Not all the best cities are big.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:15 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,363,735 times
Some U.S. cities I've never seen, but totally want to:
-Miami
-Santa Fe
-San Diego
-San Antonio
-Charleston, SC
-Key West
-Providence

Probably any older city with a rich history along the east coast, or in the deep south, would be a place that I'd find interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel