Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:10 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times

Advertisements

I have. And, I'm proud of it. Some people have found it to be weird, but most people are curious to know about some of the places I've been. Granted, I'm not a connoisseur of the world, if you will, as I've only been to 32 U.S. states and 8 foreign nations.

However, I'll list the places I've traveled solo. Totally solo, without meeting anyone I already knew at the destination, and also without any business or job interviews.
  • Vancouver, BC (twice)
  • Seattle (twice)
  • Tijuana
  • Throughout California (I live here, so plenty of road trips)
  • Reno/western Nevada
  • Medford/southern Oregon
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Cincinnati
  • Throughout The Netherlands (e.g., Amsterdam, Den Haag, Rotterdam, Leiden, Groningen, Heerenveen)
  • Bratislava (already in Vienna, I took a train to Bratislava for a quick overnight trip)

I've also been to Germany, Austria (as mentioned), Czech Republic, and Hungary, but met up with people I already knew in those countries.

There are so many more places I'd like to visit--Mexico City, Chile, Argentina, Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur... I could go on and on. But, have you traveled solo? How frequently, and did you enjoy the experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 11:42 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
While I'd ideally prefer to travel with friends in order to share memories and for the company, I've found that planning around other people can be a pain in the butt; I'm talking about everything from waiting for people to get their money together to people dropping out at the last minute to different likes and dislikes once we've arrived. If I find the ideal travel partner, I'd gladly travel with others. Until then, I'll continue to travel solo primarily.

So far, I've been to 27 U.S. states, as well as to Australia, Canada, UK, Norway, Turkey, India, China, Bermuda, and France. Out of my foreign travel, Australia, Canada, UK, Norway, and China were solo trips. I've thoroughly enjoyed my solo travels and look forward to additional solo foreign travel.

But everyone is different. My current landlady just got back from Japan, which was a solo trip for her. She says it was her first and last solo international trip. She hated eating alone and wanted someone there to share memories with.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:16 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Several years ago when my brother was stationed in Germany he invited me over to utilize the many military tours available to he or his relatives I went and stayed 4 months. barely having time between tours. Went to most Europeon countries and even Northern Africa.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:02 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I have. And, I'm proud of it. Some people have found it to be weird, but most people are curious to know about some of the places I've been. Granted, I'm not a connoisseur of the world, if you will, as I've only been to 32 U.S. states and 8 foreign nations.

However, I'll list the places I've traveled solo. Totally solo, without meeting anyone I already knew at the destination, and also without any business or job interviews.
  • Vancouver, BC (twice)
  • Seattle (twice)
  • Tijuana
  • Throughout California (I live here, so plenty of road trips)
  • Reno/western Nevada
  • Medford/southern Oregon
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Cincinnati
  • Throughout The Netherlands (e.g., Amsterdam, Den Haag, Rotterdam, Leiden, Groningen, Heerenveen)
  • Bratislava (already in Vienna, I took a train to Bratislava for a quick overnight trip)

I've also been to Germany, Austria (as mentioned), Czech Republic, and Hungary, but met up with people I already knew in those countries.

There are so many more places I'd like to visit--Mexico City, Chile, Argentina, Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur... I could go on and on. But, have you traveled solo? How frequently, and did you enjoy the experience?
Are you a man or woman? I have always wanted to travel alone but as a woman, I wonder if it's safe... I mean yeah it depends on where you go but I have heard so many stories...

Am I being ridiculous? Should I just go?

Old 06-06-2016, 07:13 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Absolutely. Most of my travels are solo. I don't have to work around someone else's desires or preferences.

Next stop ... New York City in September.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Absolutely. Most of my travels are solo. I don't have to work around someone else's desires or preferences.

Next stop ... New York City in September.
NYC is awesome! You'll love it - tons to do

Old 06-06-2016, 07:20 AM

213 posts, read 227,833 times
I almost always travel by myself. I really like to travel, and my friends either don't have the money, or the time, or the interest in going where I want to go.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:12 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
NYC is awesome! You'll love it - tons to do
Oh, I know ... I go at least once a year! This time I've got three nights to fit in an Adele concert, three Broadway shows, and stray out of midtown for once and get to the south end of the island.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Oh, I know ... I go at least once a year! This time I've got three nights to fit in an Adele concert, three Broadway shows, and stray out of midtown for once and get to the south end of the island.
Midtown sucks, especially Times Sq - hell on earth LOL

Nice. Broadway is fun. Damn 3 shows?! If you dont care what you see, you can get discounted tickets @ the TKTS booth, wait in line and see whats available, its usually like half price

Old 06-06-2016, 08:35 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Some folks seem to like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel