Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 07:01 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times

Advertisements

Cuba! Bland tasting and boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 08:46 AM

997 posts, read 710,496 times
Barcelona Spain--I tried Paella at 4 different places and found it to be greasy and sticky and not that tasty. Also didn't care for the short grain sticky rice used. I love Seafood Paella and that is why I gave it 4 tries.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:53 AM

997 posts, read 710,496 times
I've visited Oslo, Norway countless times for work. Eaten in very high end as well as local places ---Bland food. Expensive. lots of rare reindeer, boiled potatoes, carrots, and salmon/white fish in sauce. Bland. I couldn't wait to go to an Italian restaurant that I found there; and also a McDonalds.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:19 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Barcelona Spain--I tried Paella at 4 different places and found it to be greasy and sticky and not that tasty. Also didn't care for the short grain sticky rice used. I love Seafood Paella and that is why I gave it 4 tries.
Oddly enough I didn't have any paella when I went.

But after one taste of pintxos I loaded up on those every frikkin day (along with chocolate dipped churros and chocolate salami)...and man, I must say...I can't wait to go back!

Old 06-12-2016, 11:00 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Obviously personal preference plays a big part here, two people can eat the same thing and have very different opinions. I'd be interested to know where you went expecting a greater culinary experience than you had.

I'd say my #1 disappointment is France.

It isn't bad by any means, but compared to the reputation as a foodie destination and I find food in France quite underwhelming. I think my favorite thing in France was the cheeses, especially when you're at a joint with a cheese cart and cheese person who proudly explains the history or nuances of it. The worst for me was steaks, I don't like the way they prepare them in France and eventually gave up trying to find a good steak.

I've spent time working in France so been lucky enough to have locals (coworkers) taking us out and a fat budget since expense account, but still think meh it's alright. They'd take us somewhere and talk about how this town is known for this amazing (onion soup, beef stew, whatever) and I just didn't get it. Good enough, but nothing that would get me emailing my wife back home about or planning to try again.
Puerto Rico , from grossly overcooked fish, to greasy over cooked foods everywhere. We tried to eat good quality local food, but it was just far too unhealthy to eat much of it.

Even my son that loves meat and fried foods, found it overwhelming. I would add there was a lot of mass produced highly processed foods that were passed off as freshly made by the "chef"....

just not very good.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:12 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I've visited Oslo, Norway countless times for work. Eaten in very high end as well as local places ---Bland food. Expensive. lots of rare reindeer, boiled potatoes, carrots, and salmon/white fish in sauce. Bland. I couldn't wait to go to an Italian restaurant that I found there; and also a McDonalds.
Traditional Scandinavian cooking tends to be a bit on the bland side, and Norway, fairly or unfairly, has a reputation for being the blandest of the bunch. The new Scandinavian cuisine, however, seems to have found a way to updo the local ingredients - restaurants like Noma being the extreme examples.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:49 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
France. There is such a highly regarded reputation for French food. I've been to France on several occasions, to many cities, including Paris, and to different regions. To call the French food underwhelming is being charitable about it. Except for the fresh croissants and baguettes, which were good if you could get them freshly baked.

Britain, on the other hand has a sad reputation for food and I have eaten many excellent, superior meals in Britain. But you have to find out where the locals eat. Tourist places weren't so good. The excellent places tend to be out in the middle of nowhere.
I am a vegetarian (I eat cheese and eggs) and I was worried about Paris, but figured I could live on bread if necessary. A friend told me she always goes for salads in Paris.

The first night I was there, we walked along the street near our airbnb apartment looking at the restaurant menus: lamb, lamb, lamb, lamb, and maybe chicken. Then we found a really good Indian place. In Montmartre we found a place that gave you a good salad with tons of vegetables in a big casserole type dish, and on top of the salad was a pile of sliced, herbed, fried potatoes. Sounds weird, but man. My favorite meal in Paris! A fresh-baked baguette was a close second.

Between Amsterdam, Paris, and London, London had the most vegetarian choices.

The most disappointing meal was when I was still carnivorous and went to Dallas, Texas. I thought the beef would be great, but burgers and steaks were flavorless. I mentioned it to the person I was visiting, and she said they ship the better meat to the northern markets where it fetches high prices.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:46 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The most disappointing meal was when I was still carnivorous and went to Dallas, Texas. I thought the beef would be great, but burgers and steaks were flavorless. I mentioned it to the person I was visiting, and she said they ship the better meat to the northern markets where it fetches high prices.
Heh - the agricultural dilemma. Lots of traditional Danish dishes are based on cheap pork cuts, because the good parts of the pig would be exported to richer countries. And there's only so much you can do with cheap pork and root vegetables.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:36 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Paella isn't a traditional Catalonian dish-its from Valencia, on the south. Dismissing Barcelona's cuisine based on a bad version in Barcelona is sort of like saying Food in New England sucks because you had mediocre pulled pork in Maine.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:44 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Costa Rica and Spain- food tastes quite bland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel