Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 04:27 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Oooohh... the beignets at Café du Monde are out of this world. But, it was the only thing in New Orleans I found that was worth eating.
I think some New Orleans is overrated, especially the soupier dishes like gumbo and etouffee. They aren't bad, just not worth getting all excited about like some do.

I really like boudin sausage though, I think technically that is a western Louisiana thing but man can I down those happily with beer. Andouille sausage as well, LA is just a great sausage place.

I also really like BBQ shrimp the way they do in New Orleans, nice big head on shrimp with that rich sauce to sop up with bread. I saw a video of how they make it and don't even want to know how many calories are in it given the amount of butter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yep, damn those Michelin/Cordon Bleu Chefs anyways, what do they know... After reading through this whole thread one thing becomes clear, people seem to rate whole cuisines strictly off what they're used to or a specific taste they like/don't like.
You've got a nice appeal to authority logic fallacy there, but curious = what aspect would there be of French cooking as a whole that would be a specific taste causing one to judge the food as underwhelming? Seems a pretty varied cuisine everything from salads to stews to meats to soups etc. that is what I don't get about the "must not like that style" thing.

Quote:
In my observation/opinion this is the biggest problem with americans (yes, I'm one too). We have all these different cultures and cuisines here (that have been americanized btw) and we seem to think it's the same in their country of origin.
Speak for yourself, I sure don't assume every other country's food will be the same as it is presented in the United States.

Last edited by lieqiang; 06-10-2016 at 04:51 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Noooooo! We can't be friends On a more serious note, what exactly about Korean food don't you like?
There are some aspects to eating in Korea I like, one of them being banchan. It is almost like a lottery what they'll bring out in each place, with the exception of kimchee of course. I think those sweet picked yellow sliced things are probably the second most common after kimchee. I do like the meat with rice like bulgogi and galbi, gimbap is good since pretty cheap and everywhere. Also like the sundae, both sliced alone and in soups. Also like the fresh markets where can buy live seafood then have it cooked how you want, they have these in many countries but for variety being able to pick up anything from octopus to flounder to sea cucmber to urchin to king crab to hagfish Korea is hard to beat.

The soups in Korea don't do it for me, especially that whitish ox bone soup that is so hyped as a Korean favorite. It seems pretty flavorless and I end up loading up the salt too much. The others soups are okay but IMO don't compare with soups in SE Asia. Bibimbap also looks way better than it actually is, I can eat it but almost always end up finding something else on the menu.

One thing I find funny in Korea is how they'll have an area where everyone serves the exact same thing. Like in Chuncheon you have a street with like 20 dakgalbi restaurants in a row, all serving same thing, for same price. In Busan some street markets will have stalls where all dozen of them have the exact same thing. They just don't have the variety like in a night market in Taiwan where one stall has pork, the next stall shellfish, then soup, then grilled beef, the squid on a stick, etc.

Overall I find Korean food pretty good.

Last edited by lieqiang; 06-10-2016 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Hawaii. My wife and I went in March of this past year and couldn't wait to try the Hawaiian BBQ, poi, etc. While we had a blast doing a lot of fun things, the food just wasn't up to par and was very mediocre. Nothing that gave us that "wow" factor at all, unfortunately!
Poi is definitely an acquired taste, and one that I never acquired.

I do love kalua pig though, man does that stuff melt in your mouth! Lau lau and lomi lomi salmon as well. Much of the rest seems like a fusion of pacrim and colonial countries... Korean, China, Japan, Portuguese, Pinoy. Of course the United States contributed spam

Old 06-10-2016, 07:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You've got a nice appeal to authority logic fallacy there, but curious = what aspect would there be of French cooking as a whole that would be a specific taste causing one to judge the food as underwhelming? Seems a pretty varied cuisine everything from salads to stews to meats to soups etc. that is what I don't get about the "must not like that style" thing.

Quote:
Speak for yourself, I sure don't assume every other country's food will be the same as it is presented in the United States.
C'mon, surely your culinary experiences in the U.S., if you've lived here all your life, color your ideas of "good food" while in other countries.

Now if you're able to set those experiences aside when eating elsewhere then good for you! Given the responses on here you are one of the few.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course that would be a matter of opinion. When I think of disappointed I think of compared to what I expected. When dining at a restaurant in a city like Santa Fe I would be disappointed if the food wasn't spicy. BTW, spicy in NM isn't nearly as spicy as some SoWest cities. This goes for all others who said they were disappointed with a particular county's or regions food cause they don't that regions food. For me and it might be just me: I think of disappointed as knowing the regions food and thinking you have had better other places. For us I think London would come to mind. We expected better fish and chips than we got. The other would be Aruba: They are not known for any particular type of food, but what we have had there has been just so/so and very expensive!!!!

I have to admit that my first trip to Mew Mexico was a real challenge in terms of the heat. I could not handle the strength of a lot of the chile based menu items.

But that was 20 years ago On my last trip to New Mexico, I was at the Chile Pepper Institute at NMSU in Las Cruces trying sauces and salsas with the bhut jalokia pepper. My "musts" in September this year is to 1) stop in Hatch and send a flat of peppers to my foodie friends in Chicago, 2) Have lunch at the Frontier in Albuquerque, 3) have dinner at Andele's in Mesilla, and 4) have a bowl of soup at the Super 8 in Las Vegas, NM.

==============================

I thought that London was my biggest disappointment. The food that I received on the STL-GTW on TWA First Class exceeded anything that I had while in London where I was served my LEAST favorite dish - overcooked canned peas.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Appeal to authority fallacy is what you did with the "Michelin/Cordon Bleu Chefs anyways, what do they know" thing. Taste is subjective, so these chefs knowing something isn't relevant anymore than someone could mention great composers as an argument that someone is wrong in not liking classical music.

I think it is great you guys like French food and got that much more enjoyment out of your travels in France because of it, but it just wasn't my thing.

Quote:
C'mon, surely your culinary experiences in the U.S., if you've lived here all your life, color your ideas of "good food" while in other countries.
I wasn't born in the US, haven't lived there my whole life, and currently haven't stepped foot in the USA for almost a year.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:50 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
On the train riding the Sunset Limited in the US I saw Mexican enchiladas or some such on the menu. We ordered them, they used flour tortillas instead of corn, the tortillas were dry and had not been immersed in any liquids to roll them and then cooked in an oven like normal enchiladas, they were basically soft shell tacos. They had a splash of salsa on top, a dab, tasted like Pace. Inside they had whatever vegetables were leftover I assume: squash, broccoli, weird mixed with corn or cheese I think!
You expected American train food to be good? It's not the golden era of fancy dining cars any more but I guess you learned that.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
I've got to say Bavaria, Germany is rather rough if you don't eat pork products. We managed to find one rotisserie chicken place and then ate a whole bunch of tuna pizzas (Yeah, I know how it sounds, but the tuna works well with the tomato sauce. Really)to get some non-pork protein.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:58 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
I think some New Orleans is overrated, especially the soupier dishes like gumbo and etouffee. They aren't bad, just not worth getting all excited about like some do.

I really like boudin sausage though, I think technically that is a western Louisiana thing but man can I down those happily with beer. Andouille sausage as well, LA is just a great sausage place.

Here is an extensive study done by researchers at the University of Mississippi of the "Boudin Trail."

https://www.southernfoodways.org/ora...-boudin-trail/

Boudin is the kind of food that you order from a carry-out and very little makes it home. Boudin is found throughout Mississippi, Louisiana, and Eastern TX. In muy opinion, the best boudin can be found between Breaux Bridge and Abbeville, LA, usually ina local butcher shop or a quickie mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel