Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 01:04 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this Travel message board covers day trips, as opposed to full-fledged vacations, but it seems to be the most suitable place amongst all the subforums...

For me, if it's less than 1 hour round trip, then I won't bother with a hotel for a multi-day event. It's close enough that I'll drive back home to sleep.

If it's a single-day event, then I'll consider up to a 3 to 4 hour round trip.

Otherwise, I'll get a hotel, as even though I'm spending an extra $65 to $140 a night... the wear and tear on my vehicle, gas, and time spent driving seem to be a better tradeoff. Especially if after day 1, my next day's event involve me driving further down the road past day 1's location.

Another bias is I live in a smaller, remote town, so there isn't much to do here anyways. A chance to get out? May as well extend that time. Otherwise, in the past, I probably would've just gone home sooner otherwise.

Last edited by ackmondual; 06-10-2016 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: Clarify topic title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 01:45 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Depends when the "event" ends! If it's late, and I have more than an hour or two to get home, and there's reasonable hotels, I'll stay. Otherwise, the cost of a hotel (and the packing that goes with it) is too much trouble!

Old 06-11-2016, 04:09 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Interesting question. For a multi-day event, which is pretty hypothetical for me as this doesn't come up much for me, I think I'd easily be willing to drive an hour away, or 2 hours roundtrip. Here in Jax, it can take up to 2 hours to go from one side to the other. Fairly regularly I will drive 2 hours just going to work and other appts.

Between 1 hour and 2 hours away is a gray area...it just happens that there's not really much of anything in any direction around Jacksonville at that distance range so that may have a lot to do with it. Beyond 2 hours though I will get a hotel. That would be Orlando, Gainesville, Tallahassee, or Savannah depending on the direction and I don't mind spending time in those cities.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:28 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Not sure if this Travel message board covers day trips, as opposed to full-fledged vacations, but it seems to be the most suitable place amongst all the subforums...

For me, if it's less than 1 hour round trip, then I won't bother with a hotel for a multi-day event. It's close enough that I'll drive back home to sleep.

If it's a single-day event, then I'll consider up to a 3 to 4 hour round trip.

Otherwise, I'll get a hotel, as even though I'm spending an extra $65 to $140 a night... the wear and tear on my vehicle, gas, and time spent driving seem to be a better tradeoff. Especially if after day 1, my next day's event involve me driving further down the road past day 1's location.

Another bias is I live in a smaller, remote town, so there isn't much to do here anyways. A chance to get out? May as well extend that time. Otherwise, in the past, I probably would've just gone home sooner otherwise.
Umm, the "wear and tear on my vehicle, gas" is the same whether or not you stop in a motel for the night.

Otherwise, I'm with cb at sea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Depends when the "event" ends! If it's late, and I have more than an hour or two to get home, and there's reasonable hotels, I'll stay. Otherwise, the cost of a hotel (and the packing that goes with it) is too much trouble!
But if the cost of the hotel is too high, we just don't go.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:45 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I live 140 miles from Phoenix. If I have a multi-day event, I will generally stay as I can generally find a room on Hotwire /Priceline for $40. If the rates are much more than $75, I will do the round trip OR decide to attend only one day of the event.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:54 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Umm, the "wear and tear on my vehicle, gas" is the same whether or not you stop in a motel for the night.
OP said for a multi-day event. Meaning rather than driving back and forth 2 hours each day they'd stay at a hotel where the event is taking place.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:36 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
OP said for a multi-day event. Meaning rather than driving back and forth 2 hours each day they'd stay at a hotel where the event is taking place.
This. Also, if I'm starting from home, going to point A, then going to point B the next day that's further down the road, then I'm adding the distance from A to home, and home to A on top of A to B.

Although looking back, I probably could've been more clearer in the way I posted that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel