Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 12:48 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am not frequently in this section of CD, forgive me if I missed other threads on this subject (I did look around a bit before writing this)!

My twins were invited for an afternoon over to a school friends house the other day, they had not previously been to her residence. I was surprised when they gave me the address as it was in a neighborhood outside of their schools attendance area ( apparently the girl is on permit for the GT programs) but also because of the unusual demographics of that area.

The girls house proved to be a typical residence for this area; 4 stories high with stone paths winding through fragrant flowering bushes & two huge stone lions on the porch.

(sigh...!)

Anyways, the girls told me later that night that this family of 3 "rents rooms out".

Initially I assumed they meant either student housing for CC students, or that they had gone the "Bed & Breakfast" route.

Well, neither of those apply; they are literally just a room typically rented from 1 night to 2 weeks.

They charge $60/night.

One of the girls said "They are nicer than hotel rooms, Mom!"

I've never heard of this before but after checking online ( a website called Airbnb.com) I confirmed that this is an actual "thing".

Can anybody here give me feedback on this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 01:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
I have been using and hosting as hospitality guest home for 25+ years. Started while homeschooling my kids, and using a homeschool hospitality network / directory.

Many are free to $20/ night per couple. Servas International began after WWII as a reconciliation hospitality group.
You can find a list of many such organizations on Wiki travel. Has been happening since civilization hit the road.

There is a published profile of the host.
since I enjoy learning... I usually choose farmers, or inventors. Many hosts are teachers, profs, and librarians.

Air B&B is commercial, (as in B&B) and no where near as informative / friendly / safe as the guest home experience, but sometimes is necessary to find a stay.

Hotel / motel is a very last resort, and very lonely / boring / tourist / business traveler centric.

I prefer to travel as a local, and get to know the area.

OP.: ... BTW. Some of my favorite hosts are in CoS. !
I lent a single mom and her 2 daughters my directory of hosts for their USA road trip. They were so impressed with the first stay, that they planned their route around available hosts. No more creepy hotels for beautiful gals traveling single. The hosts in large cities took them on private tours and fetched them from transit.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:27 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,271 times
I personally have not used Air B&B, though I looked into it for a Girl's Weekend in San Francisco. There was only one in the area we wanted to stay and it was about 3x more expensive than the hotel we ended up choosing was. From the other side, one of my friends has been an Air B&B host for the past several months and as him home is in a great location transportation wise, he's having quite a bit of luck with it. He had one guest stay for an entire month! I looked into using it for my trip due to my friend being a host and his explaining that side of it to me.

Stealth, I'm curious as to why you feel Air B&B is commercial, when it's individuals renting out space in their homes?

Old 06-15-2016, 01:05 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Thank you both for your reply! This is defenitly something I'm going to be looking into in the very near future!

I had to leave my career 10 yrs ago to care for my disabled child (now age 12) so my finances are super tight. In fact, I've only been able to take these 3 youngest (14 yr old twin girls & son) of mine on a vacation 1 time, ever. That was 2 yrs ago.

I won't go into detail except to say that I drove 2,300 mi round trip (CoS-CC Texas) in a 19 yr old Nissan (had heating/cooling & electrical issues) with 3 kids & a dog (son's service dog), less than $900 cash & NO credit/debit card.

2 days before my drive home, the USB charging port on my cell phone broke, so I didn't have my phone either.

The Nissan broke down 180 miles from home on Raton Pass at 11 pm in the middle of a torrential downpour/electrical storm.

Got rescued my a 20-something Mexican kid who worked in Roswell N.M. & was driving to Denver to visit his sister who was in the hospital. ( as far as I could tell, that is, he spoke barely any English)

I'd do it all again in a heartbeat, it felt so good to not just be at home, circling my future grave!

I'm excited now about these alternatives, for me it could mean the difference between can-go or no-go.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:15 AM

Traveling with kids, and using hospitality guest homes means you are limited to non-age restricted organizations.

Many religious, interests, family, farm groups or Servas international will work. Maybe a travel group from your son's disability would be very helpful and supportive.

Quote:
I'm curious as to why you feel Air B&B is commercial, when it's individuals renting out space in their homes?
Precisely.... People out to make money vs. people passionate about opening their home for hospitality.

There is a huge difference in you experience as guest, and a huge difference in price!

50% of my Air b&b have been unemployed or students trying to make a buck. Their homes were measures worse than any of the hindreds of hospitality homes I have visited.

The hoitality people often will not accept payment, but I always suggest they pass it on to someone in need. Some of the groups designate community aid to donate your fees.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:39 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
StealthRabbit, I'm very aware of your passion and experience with hospitality stays. And I'd completely agree that they are attractive options for many people and many situations.

But in fairness , do you really think the OP is going to find hosptality lodging for four kids, one disabled, one adult and one dog? And mayb even for free? I think that's highly unlikely.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:00 PM

Many places specialize in caring for caregivers, btdt for over 40 yrs. all for free. Some groups will host you for over a month (for free).

Certain groups have support services for those traveling with disabilities.
Church groups will be happy to help.

Definately many possibilities, don't stop with your first no.

There is HOPE for those in need. Millions dedicate their lives to providing just that.

(I don't drive a $35 car that is 37 yrs old just for the fun of it, but.... I am pleased my 'car $$' have supported many people in need.). YPMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel