Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:55 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times

Advertisements

And Lufthansa is a FAR better airline than United or American, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 06:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My Mother needed to fly last minute to attend a funeral and just couldn't get a ticket... a Lufthansa agent could sense a problem and asked... so Mom told her about the funeral.

The agent said she would work on it and a little over an hour the agent called back with a confirmed seat on a flight that had been sold out for weeks...

The price was the same as if she would have reserved in advance...

United and American only could offer First Class at about 5 times what Mom paid with Lufthansa.
Ultra, I am really glad to hear this. (Not glad about the funeral, but I am sure you get my meaning.)

Crew Chief, I have never flown Lufthansa, but I hear such a wide spectrum of opinion of this airline, from diehard fans to folks who moan and groan about it.

Nitram, the Frontier airlines person I talked to mentioned this, too--I am sure some people *do* abuse bereavement fares; how they sleep at night I don't know.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:49 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
First off we had a code that was used from the funeral home to classify as legit, secondly we only have two airlines leaving town

Not too promising huh?

Thanks all for the kind words.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:21 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
When my grandfather died, I attempted to buy a "bereavement ticket"...

The airline explained that all airline tickets start out at the same price, but some are discounted. Basically, they wanted me to buy a ticket at first class open ended prices, but I would only get an economy seat. ($1600) A ticket without the open end would be $1500. If I sent in a copy of the death certificate within 15 days of the funeral, then I could get half refunded within 180 days. However, they had open seats for $675... this is what I ended up buying. I don't remember the airline, it was back in '97 from Detroit to Phoenix. The usual price for a ticket was about $275 at the time.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:11 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,612 times
2 1/2 years ago US Airways gave us 10% off whatever the cheapest price was that we found. We had some flexibilty because it was in England and funerals take a bit longer to put together there so it wasn't like we had to leave the next day. We actually booked about a week out. All we had to do was fax the death certificate. I think we found a ticket for about $500 each. I wonder if it depends on the person you actually talked to. Ours was really great.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:01 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,991 times
Airline (name withheld) wanted a copy of the death certificate and MY birth certificate to prove it was really my mother that had actually passed away... It makes me sick to my stomach to think about it!

Old 03-02-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Airline (name withheld) wanted a copy of the death certificate and MY birth certificate to prove it was really my mother that had actually passed away... It makes me sick to my stomach to think about it!
I don't have any problem with this if you actually receive a genuinely cheaper fare. After my mom died we had to show death/birth certificates right and left for all sorts of things, it was just part of the experience.

When it comes to saving $ on a bereavement fare, it does seem to depend on quite a few variables. It doesn't help that these days we have higher fuel costs, fewer planes are flying, and those ones are full.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:24 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
I finally discovered my error. I went through the third party that the funeral director gave me the number for rather than going directly through the airlines themselves.

I spoke to one airline CSR and was told they could have offered me something after the fact (or before had I done it right), if I'd gone directly through them.

Live and learn eh? My back was against the wall and my brain was numb at the time.....

Old 03-02-2008, 08:23 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
When deregulation occurred, so many things changed. We don't know how good we really had it back then.

I am so sorry about your mom.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
When deregulation occurred, so many things changed. We don't know how good we really had it back then.

Truer words were never spoken.
Again, I am sorry, Cleosmom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel